Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 550 B Roller Handle Poll

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend the aluminum roller handle, have one on a 650 and loved it, so I ordered 2 more for my 1050 and SL900 (both had a plastic roller handle). They were not so easy to replace with the internal snap ring, but well worth it.

jj

I have 2 650s & 1 550 and all 3 have roller handles. I had some bearings, aluminum stock, some 1/2 (.090 wall steel) tubing laying around and a spare SAT. morning. :cheers: The roller handle on the 550 is really nice,but on the 650s it is a must have!

I put the Dillon aluminum roller handle on my Hornady LNL AP. IIRC, I just cut the smaller diameter portion off of the end of the dillon steel bar, and then threaded the larger diameter portion to match the LNL threads.

Love it.

I started out with the ball years before the roller was available and wore blisters in the palm of my hand from loading with it before I wised up and put a sock over the ball. When the roller come out, I got one immediately and never looked back. Wouldn't want to go back to the "bad old days" with the ball handle!

Alan~^~

• 3 months later...

Blue,

Have a pic of the handle you made? Can't believe I haven't switched mine over yet. Sounds like a doable project, if not by me then by 1 of the Journeymen at work.

Steve

I have 2 650s & 1 550 and all 3 have roller handles. I had some bearings, aluminum stock, some 1/2 (.090 wall steel) tubing laying around and a spare SAT. morning. :cheers: The roller handle on the 550 is really nice,but on the 650s it is a must have!

My only request is that Dillon grind wrench flats at the base of the roller handle to make it easier to cinch down.

Seconded. I've only used the Al roller handle, but I can't seem to get the nut tight enough to keep the handle shaft from shifting around.

Is there some trick?

I have tried all three, and I feel that the aluminum roller is the way to go! The aluminum roller, in my opinion, has a much better feel than the plastic handle. My friend and I have our 550's set up side by side - his with the plastic roller and mine with the aluminum. There is a bigger difference than I expected. I ordered the aluminum after reading several posts here on BE and I was VERY glad that I did!!!

My .02,

redintex

• 2 weeks later...
My only request is that Dillon grind wrench flats at the base of the roller handle to make it easier to cinch down.

Seconded. I've only used the Al roller handle, but I can't seem to get the nut tight enough to keep the handle shaft from shifting around.

Is there some trick?

At least for 9mm, it seems the trick is to use just a bit of lube (lanolin) on the cases. Now the primer seating upstroke is by far the hardest part of the handle cycle, and it's not hard enough to twist the handle in the press. Brian mentions in the Dillon info that even with carbide dies, you really should lube...and I gotta say, once you've loaded with lube, you won't want to do without.

• 5 years later...

Old thread, I know. But wanted to add my 2 cents, after 15 years with my Dillon 550b.

If you are standing up to reload, as I do, and stand to the left of the machine, which I do so I can peek into the filled case, the ball handle works well. Even better if you take an OLD SOCK and put it over the ball head. That way there is no friction on your hand to rub it raw. It works great and everyone has old socks. I used tape to make a "collar" around the botton of the sock, around the handle shaft to keep it in place.

If you sit down to load, I can see how the ball handle (without a sock) can be less comfortable.

• 1 year later...