Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 550 B Roller Handle Poll

Thanks for the massive feedback everyone!
People who order a new press ought to have the choice of ball or roller as a no charge option.

You might not be able to guess how many times I've heard that. ;) A couple years ago, I asked the sales manager the same thing. His answer was that the Roller Handle was a fairly pricey unit compared to the ball handle, which they have about $2.50 in (cost). So, there's no way that's ever going to happen.

And on the subject of "overpriced accessories/machine options," my feeling, and this is just my opinion and does not in any way have anything to do with Dillon's marketing strategy, is that they do everything they can to keep the initial price of the machine as low as possible, with the hope of recovering a little profit with the sale of accessories. Really, the 650 "should be" sold with the Casefeeder, Roller Handle, Strong Mount, and Bullet Tray; however, after selling their products for several years, I do feel that would reduce the 650's sales.

be

Another side benefit of this is that it allows someone to buy the press and strong mount first, to get started --- and to then add capabilities and options as the checkbook recovers.....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy if they gave me $5 off the price of the machine and never sent me the damn ball handle but substituted the roller handle for the additional price, in the same box. Last thing I need is another part that I am not going to use sitting around taking up space and gathering dust. Not to mention the extra packaging for the roller handle that I will have to dispose of and pay to have shipped in the first place.

Thanks for the massive feedback everyone!
People who order a new press ought to have the choice of ball or roller as a no charge option.

You might not be able to guess how many times I've heard that. ;) A couple years ago, I asked the sales manager the same thing. His answer was that the Roller Handle was a fairly pricey unit compared to the ball handle, which they have about $2.50 in (cost). So, there's no way that's ever going to happen.

And on the subject of "overpriced accessories/machine options," my feeling, and this is just my opinion and does not in any way have anything to do with Dillon's marketing strategy, is that they do everything they can to keep the initial price of the machine as low as possible, with the hope of recovering a little profit with the sale of accessories. Really, the 650 "should be" sold with the Casefeeder, Roller Handle, Strong Mount, and Bullet Tray; however, after selling their products for several years, I do feel that would reduce the 650's sales.

be

They could offer a competive price on a fully loaded 650, against a build it up yourselves reloader.

I had a 550 with ball handle. I did not change it, but would have if I would have loaded more rounds.

Santa just gave me a 650 (from BE, thanks!) to replace my 550. Both have roller handles. I have the same problem: what to do with the ball handles. Perhaps Komodo Drumming is in my future! And a plus: If I break a drum stick, Dillon will replace it!

Seriously, I now do about 700 rds in a session. I would really hate to use the ball for that many rounds!

I use the ball on my 650. I fold a red shopp towel into one-quarter size, then use it between the ball handle and my hand. No blisters. No problem loading 800.

It allows me to feel (up the primer seating up-stroke) if a piece of brass has made it into the tube up-side-down, and is getting ready to jam me up.

I have to admit I'm a tad surprised by the 92%!

Again, thanks everyone!

Another reason I wondered about this arose when Dillon discontinued their Power Upgrade with the Nov. price increase. Dillon's Power Upgrade used to include the Strong Mount, Bullet Tray, Plastic Roller Handle, and the Low Powder Sensor. At that time, I had quite a few customers calling, wondering if they could substitute the Aluminum Roller Handle for the Plastic one, which of course wasn't possible because Dillon's Power Upgrade was prepackaged as a one-part-number-unit. Additionally, I actually had a couple customers want to return the Low Powder Sensor after they "saw it." (And to make it worse, had purchased it as part of Dillon's Power Upgrade.) All of those reasons spawned the be.com "As it should be" upgrade. Well, now that Dillon isn't offering their Power Upgrade, the name of the "As it should be" upgrade implies that you need those items to get the press "as it should be." Which was not my original intention. Initially, I named it the "as it should be" to contrast with Dillon's Power Upgrade.

In addition to all that, I was considering offering the "as it should be" either with or without the Roller Handle. Currently, if you don't want the Roller Handle you can always buy the other three options separately, in my super-speedy online store. That's probably good enough, especially considering the results of the "Roller Handle Survey."

;)

All of which makes me think that Dillon should ponder just dumping the ball handle and putting the roller handle in the box to start with.

There are several thousand ball handles that could be had for song for those that really want one.

I had gone with the sock routine on the ball...made it better, then switched to the roller handle and after several sessions, can feel the primers as good as I could with the ball. Two seasons with the roller versus two with the ball...what a difference.

I can't see going back...

• 3 months later...

Never really gave the roller handle much thought on my 650 until I bought a SL900 in which it and the strong mount are standard. It wasn't long after that a roller handle was on my 650.

Dillon's marketing for the SL900 seems to be a 180 from their cartridge loaders. The first SL900's even came with a casefeeder - you got all or nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I swiched both my 550s to the roller handle after try one at an NRA convention. I do prefer the aluminum over the plastic. The metal has a better feel.

I've never tried the roller handle on my RL550, XL650, and now RL1050 presses.

I learned very early that the ball handle hurt the hand after a short session, especially if it was warm and a small amount of sweat was involved.

Long before the roller handle was available, I threw a sweat sock (a clean one!) over the ball.

No more pain, and it stays in place.

• 1 month later...
Almost daily I have to explain (to a customer) that although I never used the Roller Handle for the 550, many that I talk to on the phone love it, and that same vibe is reported on the forum as well. So forgetting whether or not you prefer the plastic or the aluminum Roller Handle - if you initially used the factory ball handle for the 550, but then later purchased a Roller Handle - did you find it a worthwhile improvement. And if you care to comment, why?

thanks,

be

Yes, the roller handle is definately a worthy investment. Of course, that's why it doesn't come "stock" on the machine. Money is, after all, how they keep the lights on. The metal roller feels better.

I use a mechanics glove on my right hand when loading with my SDB ball handle. No issues at all and it's a bit simpler than a rag or sock. Don't really bother with it unless I'm loading 1000 or more rounds.

You really should try sizing/lubing bullets with the straight handle on my Lyman or RCBS lubrisizers. Much more effort required compared to reloading. Probably why the ball doesn't bother me much.

Jeff,

I fold up a (red) shop rang and use it between my hand and the ball handle.  Maybe I picked that trick up from you...

The sock has the advantage of not falling off when it's not being held. I used a soft fuzzy sock to keep the blisters down and absorb any sweat from the hand.

I mispoke about not using the roller handle on my RL1050: it came with the roller handle, and it serves the same purpose as the sock on the RL550B / RL650 ball.

Except it doesn't absorb much sweat. Hardly any, really!

Loaded for a few years on a 550 with the ball. Bought a used 650 w/roller handle. After one loading session on the 650, I ordered a roller handle for the 550. No plans on going back to the ball. Metal roller on 650, plastic on 550. Should have gotten the metal for the 550 too.

• 5 weeks later...

Briefs or Boxers?

Arthritis made the choice for me. Roller helps with smoothnes and rhythm.

No more loading up with deadly Celbrex before a session now.

One old 550 ball handle donated to Club as prop for Stages, other is cut short & on the basement....... toilet flush-handle.