Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice or Parts?

Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

There is no product that can replace intimate familiarity with the gun. Everything about the gun you shoot in competition should be second nature. It should be so automatic that you do it without even knowing you are. That comes from practice. CONSTANT practice. Dry firing at home whenever you get the chance. Proper practice routines at the range. And paying close attention to what is happening when you do both. No amount of expensive gadgetry can replace that and if you are constantly swapping gadgetry for the latest and greatest you never get that second nature with any of it.

Get your rig set up and LEAVE IT ALONE. Unless there is something that is just plain uncomfortable or doesn't work stick with it and practice with that. Practice with that and ONLY that. That's the only way to break down the barriers.

Put a target paster on the wall and practice your draw and first shot with that as your aim point. To check you progress, make ready and close your eyes. Then do the drill keeping your eyes closed. When your draw movement stops, open your eyes and see where your sights are aligned. Ultimately the sights should be aligned on the target even with your eyes closed. 

At the range I will randomly put an empty casing in a magazine. When you squeeze the trigger on that empty do you flinch? Did the gun move at all? If it did, you have work to do.

I've often called myself "slow" in the this area.  I don't feel qualified to start messing with equipment unless I can identify exactly why I feel like it's not living up to it's promise and what modification or part would help.   For me, this takes time to understand how I'm using, reacting to, or otherwise interfacing with said equipment.  Once I'm sure it's not something I'm doing then I feel I can try a new piece of equipment and fully see the change.  Then I can analyze the change and decide if it's helping, which takes time for me. 

I'm not sure if that makes me slow, careful, wise, or stupid.  But it at least puts me on the "Practice" side of this thread.   

I'd say parts to an extent aka a good running setup but nothing ever beats practice. I've switched divisions so many times in the little amount of time I've been shooting that I was digressing. I decided to stick to one now and I've seen a lot more improvement in the past 3-6 months that I had in the entire 6 years I had previously been shooting uspsa.

• 5 months later...

Like to tinker, jump on the PCC bandwagon.  Its such a young division that "new and improved" products are coming out weekly..

Ammo  and practice are obviously the best bang for your buck, but shiny new stuff is so enticing.

And who can say their PCC equipment is 100% reliable.  In time (and many dollars spent) it will be reliable.

Today I shop so that tomorrow I can practice.  :rolleyes: 

(Went with the rolling eyes emoticon since the sarcasm emoticon was not available.)

Edited by Flatland Shooter

• 11 months later...
On 4/2/2013 at 1:28 PM, DonovanM said:

Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice.

Good advice...

• 2 weeks later...

Practice is absolutely necessary to improve your skills. With that being said, good equipment and some little things make life way better. For example, a steel grip compared to a plastic grip is night and day. Recoil is easier to control and magazine changes are faster and easier. Just one little example. Does it take the place of practice, no, but it makes it more fun.

• 5 months later...

No amount of practice is going to improve a gun that is not reliable. An unreliable gun erodes self-confidence and increase doubt which can adversely impact any shooting skills.

Can you shoot accurately at distance if your sights do not maintain a zero?

Can you shoot quickly if your trigger has an inconsistent release?

The list goes on.

Given that your gun performs as designed consistently then it is up to the individual to practice perfectly i.e., do not acquire training scars associated with practicing/acquiring poor skills.  For example, taking your eyes off your sights in hopes of getting quicker before the shot breaks.

It seems everything I have read; Saul K, Mike S, Max M, etc, and heard emphasizes executing proper technique in all types of practice sessions.  I think Max more than once said something about  Reliability, Consistently and Repeatability..