Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production? How many mags

Blue Jacket

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I have 6 mag pouches but mostly only carry 5 mags plus one in the pistol. I have had stages with weird target arrays and had to do an extra reload. I would get 8 mags incase you shoot in the rain with mud :surprise: It is better to have extra mags than not enough. Thanks, Eric

5+1 in the gun, plus a Barney mag. Just today, I pulled four off my belt in one stage that had 5 shooting positions where no two consecutive positions had less than 12 rounds. If it'd been an empty gun start, I'd have had to use mag #5.

There's also the chance of fumbling a reload or losing a mag while dealing with a malfunction. An old adage in ER medicine was to have spare equipment - "one to use and one to lose...". Better a mag off the belt than having to spend time picking one up that's just eaten mud or dirt, that may have fallen into an awkward location, and you with a loaded gun in your hand to boot.

Production and L10; 5 mags on the belt with one in the gun. extra mags not so much for the extra ammo but insurance in case I fumble a reload, get a mag knocked out of the pouch or drop a mag, which has happened to me at majors BTW haha :D. Same thing when I shoot Limited, three 20 rnd mags on the belt with one in the gun so my fat ass is hauling around 80 rounds of .40. I'm a lot more worried about dropping/losing a mag than not being able to finish the stage cause I couldn't shoot for shit and needed extra rounds.

4 on belt, one loaded to 11 in my carpenter pocket on most stages for a load mag.

On some stages, like all mags on the table start, I'll end up taking that extra round out and putting it in my pocket.

50 or 51 rounds should be enough to finish any 32 round stage with plenty of reload options <_<

Am I missing anything here?

4 on belt, one loaded to 11 in my carpenter pocket on most stages for a load mag.

On some stages, like all mags on the table start, I'll end up taking that extra round out and putting it in my pocket.

50 or 51 rounds should be enough to finish any 32 round stage with plenty of reload options <_<

Yep, may limit your options for reloading when moving, not to mention the time or two when you drag a 2nd mag out on accident and leave it behind.

Then there is the Florida Open, 6 on the belt one in the gun for sure in Production! And the monster match in production- have not shot it yet but from what hear, how much space do you have on your belt???

Shot a stage last weekend. It was 4 arrays of 3 targets (6 rounds each) with some tight shots going through 3 doors. Last array was 8 shots, some tight and one target was a mover. That is 5 arrays, 4 reloads was the best way to shoot it. If you dropped one, bobbled one, 1 shot drop of an unseated mag...you would have needed that last mag. This is where I lost a mag going through a door. If I had run 4+1, I would have been hosed.

I take 8 mags to a USPSA pistol match so if I have any mag related issues, that one goes in the bottom of the range bag for the rest of the match.

You will be fine.

I shot my first USPSA match when it was just Open and Limited, with speedstrips and a Model 65 Taurus. I thought it was really neat when I saved up enough for some speedloaders. When I got a Glock with 2 magazines, I pretty much figured I had it covered. :eatdrink:

Production shooters how many mags do you carry? I've been shooting limited this year, but recently got a xdm I'm going to try in productionI have 3 mags I was thinking I need another 3.

Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

26 year old rule of thumb I was taught way back when: carry two more than you could possibly ever need on a stage.

6 on the belt, one in the gun at the start.

I've had a few stages where it was more efficient to go for #4 and #5 and still have an extra if the proverbial crap hits the fan.

Now... if you're shooting the Rocky Mountain 300, 9 mags in Production isn't out of the question ;-)

Edited by Son Of The Griz

Shot a stage last weekend. It was 4 arrays of 3 targets (6 rounds each) with some tight shots going through 3 doors. Last array was 8 shots, some tight and one target was a mover. That is 5 arrays, 4 reloads was the best way to shoot it. If you dropped one, bobbled one, 1 shot drop of an unseated mag...you would have needed that last mag. This is where I lost a mag going through a door. If I had run 4+1, I would have been hosed.

I take 8 mags to a USPSA pistol match so if I have any mag related issues, that one goes in the bottom of the range bag for the rest of the match.

Mark, I shot that same match... My first time running in Limited but coached my wife through it in Production. Six mags there in Production would have been perfect. Door, right-reload, left-reload, door, left-reload, right-reload, door, swinger/swinger, last 2. Even running 17-round stock STI mags I reloaded before each door.

Also second bringing spares... never know when a friend will forget one, when a mag will finally go Tango Uniform or you're in shin-deep gloop.

Mark, I shot that same match... My first time running in Limited but coached my wife through it in Production. Six mags there in Production would have been perfect. Door, right-reload, left-reload, door, left-reload, right-reload, door, swinger/swinger, last 2. Even running 17-round stock STI mags I reloaded before each door.

Also second bringing spares... never know when a friend will forget one, when a mag will finally go Tango Uniform or you're in shin-deep gloop.

Yep. James put on some tough local matches up there. :cheers: Hope you both had fun.

Yep. James put on some tough local matches up there. :cheers: Hope you both had fun.

We had a good day. That range is just a town away and James is a bit devious... see you around! :cheers:

I run 5+1 also. I've had bobbles where I've gone to grab a mag and knocked another out of the pouch, I've reloaded in the wrong place (off plan) and reloaded again just to get back on plan. We've had 25+ yard plate racks and other challenging shots that needed more rounds than planned on.

It also comes down to how much are you going to miss? I've seen new shooters go through 8 mags in a stage and still end up short. Tough stuff to watch.

4 on the belt, 1 in the gun.

NEVER needed more (unless it was a "fun" stage w/ crazy round count. then I just put extras in my back pocket).

51 rounds for a 32-round course not enough?!

I keep a spare mag pouch in the range bag should I need it for some reason based on stage design, but I haven't used it yet (actually, that was for the gun I used to shoot.. guess I need to get another backup pouch!).

-rvb

When I started shooting production in the last year I chose to use a revolver. Yeah it is kind of like ice skating uphill, but I enjoy the challenge. Anyhow I have 5 speedloaders in pouches and 2 in my back pocket (3 in my back pocket if it is an unloaded start).

I normally shoot revolver division, but I had the opportunity to shoot the Memphis Charity Challenge last year and stay the next day for the monthly match at the same range. Many of the same stages were used on both (and the same classifier stage), so I decided to shoot the monthly match in production division with my revolver. Suffice to say that I was an experience. :lol: