Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it may be worth starting with a current gun and doing some basic mods to get into the game now. If it's done cheaply enough, you can still trade up to the factory competition gun next year or (better yet) to a custom gun from the master.

If I had my druthers it's a multi-purpose shotty. For every shell fired on a multi-gun COF it would be 30-40 on the Sporting Clay course. The idea of just swapping out a barrel and extension is very appealing to me. I sure would get a lot more use out of it.

I find this thread interesting because I sold my 930 and bought an SLP. I noticed a lot of peening inside after 500 rounds or so. The lug where the bolt locks up on the barrel extension was getting banged up pretty bad. The metal in the bolt seemed like it was too soft.

I was worried about the longevity, the location of the safety, and lack of a choke tube (had an 18" model).

• 3 weeks later...

So, how did the 930 run at Benning? Any idea when we might see the competition model out of Mossberg? I'm hoping for prototypes at SHOT and shipping by summer, but I don't know how realistic that is.

+1, and for those that need a shotgun now, are you currently offering services to a plain 930 ? Cutting and threading barrel from a ported 28 to a ~22 inch unported ? Any other package items ?

I talked with Benny briefly at FB, and he said that he would go buy a 28inch barrel have it cut back to 22inches and threaded by Briley and be done with it.

In all honesty I wish I would have just sent my cut barrel off to Briley and let them handle it. I have done all the work on the reciever myself to open the loading port and make it easier to load, it was easy to do with a file and a little 600 grit paper. Benny said that there is no bolt work to be done on them as that it isnt as heavy as a Benelli. So I dont know just how much work that Benny is doing on them once he gets them in his hands but from my experience its a simple gun to do at home.

Vince, as far as loading gate mods .... not really ... other than actually filing the half moon deeper into the lifter to it doesnt cause a pinch point and then smoothing and rounding the edges prety good. One thing about cutting the notch deeper into the lifter is that I had to ease the upper edge of where the shells feed into the mag tube, if not I could push a shell too high and it would get caught and slow down the load, but radius the upper edge and no probs now.

I have also filed the chamber area on the right side to help it feed easier.

I talked to Benny at Benning about the Bennelli and mossberg. The bolt is left as it comes from the factory, as Benny claims it cycles faster than the Bennelli and is more difficult to outrun when shooting real fast. He said the Mossberg loads much easier than the Benelli, and i believe it. My last mossberg felt like a vacum sucking the shells in while loading compared to my Benelli. Benny mentioned the bulk of the work he does is to smooth and polish all the rough surfaces inside the reciever as the roughness from the factory apparently has an effect on reliability. The bolt release on benny's gun had a scrape from trying to drill and tap, but it is hardened and caused a problem for adding a bigger button. Factory is supposed to drill and tap in the future per benny's suggestion from what he said to me. He also reitterated that the factory will offer 24" bbls on the future version. I am not sure how his and Jerry's fared in the cold, but my bennelli was flawless. :cheers:

I talked to Benny at Benning about the Bennelli and mossberg. The bolt is left as it comes from the factory, as Benny claims it cycles faster than the Bennelli and is more difficult to outrun when shooting real fast. He said the Mossberg loads much easier than the Benelli, and i believe it. My last mossberg felt like a vacum sucking the shells in while loading compared to my Benelli. Benny mentioned the bulk of the work he does is to smooth and polish all the rough surfaces inside the reciever as the roughness from the factory apparently has an effect on reliability. The bolt release on benny's gun had a scrape from trying to drill and tap, but it is hardened and caused a problem for adding a bigger button. Factory is supposed to drill and tap in the future per benny's suggestion from what he said to me. He also reitterated that the factory will offer 24" bbls on the future version. I am not sure how his and Jerry's fared in the cold, but my bennelli was flawless. :cheers:

Yeah I found out that the release is hardened after I tried drilling mine too. I think that a mill to get the hole in it first would be good then tap it.

at the fb3g in the lunch line the word was Jerry M did not win because of shotgun issues in the house. if true what were the issues that knocked him out of the 3 gun nation shoot off?

thanks

Talked to Jerry about his Mossy, and generally he said he tinkered with it before the match, and did not prove it before he left LA. Bout what most of us have done at some time or other. He did say he was impressed with it, and it was indeed faster than any Benelli he ever shot, and just smoked the 1100 he used to shoot.

Can one of you folks with a 28” ported gun do me a favor?

Measure the outside diameter of your barrel back at the 22”-24” (somewhere behind the ports). I'd expect the measurement to be between .840” to .900” but sure like to see some real to know what style of choke tubes the barrel can take if its cut off.

Steve Rose

Steve, I measured mine before I think if I remember correctly it was somewhere near .875

Thank you. That's good to know.

Just so yall know....At that barrel diameter there is plenty of room to thread a (shortened) 930 barrel for a Mossberg Accu-Choke or Remington Rem-Choke screw in choke tube.

(I've had several of the shorter barrels (with the tall front sight) in my shop for tube installation, but was curious about the longer barrels)

Edited by GunCat

Talked to Jerry about his Mossy, and generally he said he tinkered with it before the match, and did not prove it before he left LA. Bout what most of us have done at some time or other. He did say he was impressed with it, and it was indeed faster than any Benelli he ever shot, and just smoked the 1100 he used to shoot.

thanks, i did talk to him but do not know him well enough to ask what happen. he just said "did not make this time". and we left it at that.