Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

I was thinking the 930 would be an interesting platform when they came out, but since no one else was trying it, I figured there must be a flaw somewhere. This would be great for 3 gunners, an affordable gas gun that is reliable, and no o rings to worry about, and customer service from an American company. Go Benny, go!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon my stupid question. Which 930 are we discussing here? mellow.gif

Jim

I believe it's a 930 Field model. The ported barrel can be an issue, get a 28" and have it shortened beyond the ports and then recut for choke tubes.

Thank you. This is added to my wish list.

Jim

I believe it's a 930 Field model. The ported barrel can be an issue, get a 28" and have it shortened beyond the ports and then recut for choke tubes.

Jim I have a 930 SPX that you can shoot or borrow anytime. Just let me know.

Jim

Jim I have a 930 SPX that you can shoot or borrow anytime. Just let me know.

Cool. Thanks Jason.

I just shot an 18" 930 with ghost ring sights and it held 8 rounds, I'm not sure of the exact model. It cycled relatively fast, pointed nicely, and swung well. I wasn't impressed by the recoil though. I had just finished a match where I shot around 150 rounds out of an open Benny Benelli and I felt the Benelli kicked less. The 930 was really light for a gas gun especially compared to a Browning Gold but the Gold is the softest recoiling shotty I have ever shot. I'm sure Benny will do his magic and curb this and the roadblocker model with the monster brake might help as well but for now I'll stick with the Bennelli. I would like to shoot an open 930 if Benny does one for a fair comparison because I do see the advantage of a light, gas operated shotgun. Just my $.02.

I was thinking the 930 would be an interesting platform when they came out, but since no one else was trying it, I figured there must be a flaw somewhere. This would be great for 3 gunners, an affordable gas gun that is reliable, and no o rings to worry about, and customer service from an American company. Go Benny, go!

The 930 SPX was the one with all the problems, and even then those are largely in the past. OFM has finally started to get past most of those issues. The non-SPX versions completely avoided a large part of the issues that brought a lot of negative attention to the 930.

I'm interested in the 24" non-ported barrel, although I would actually want something closer to 21-22" in length.

Well I will be able to tell you if the 24inch threaded turkey barrel is ported or not here in a little bit. Sent my chopped barrel off to a guy to thread it for me and he screwed it up, had to cut the barrel back even shorter and messed it up again somehow, so he ordered me a new barrel from Mossberg and it should be here within 7 to 10 days.

Gun is 24" field with V.R. and porting. If you cut porting out it is 20". They are makeing up a special run of un-ported barrels for me @ 24".

Good to know about the un-ported barrels. Any chance they may drop the length to 22" ? My local matches have a 22" max restriction. A 930 is much more in my price range than a FNH or Benelli. :cheers:

So what were the problems with the SPX model?

The biggest problem with the SPX was/is with the front sight. It was to short and difficult if not impossible to sight in. The other issue is the gun wants to be CLEAN and run very wet to function correctly. One other little problem was with the stop that held the next round in the feed tube. It wouldn't always allow lighter loads (1oz. slugs at 1200fps and lighter shot loads 2 3/4dram loads)run correctly. The last two would pretty much clear themselves up if you shot a couple hundred full power loads through the gun and kept it clean and well lubed.

Okay guys, I have been helping Mossberg out on this deal, and I have been informed that the 24" NON-PORTED barrels are soon on the way! The samples are in hand and a production run is eminent. Stay tuned for more Mossberg anouncements!

The one I have has, so far, run 100% but I don't have a lot of rounds theough it yet. I will try to keep you all posted , but I have to run stuff by Mossberg first. KurtM

Okay guys, I have been helping Mossberg out on this deal, and I have been informed that the 24" NON-PORTED barrels are soon on the way! The samples are in hand and a production run is eminent. Stay tuned for more Mossberg anouncements!

The one I have has, so far, run 100% but I don't have a lot of rounds theough it yet. I will try to keep you all posted , but I have to run stuff by Mossberg first. KurtM

Ooooh! Mr. Weak Hand becomes Mr. Secretive!

No no Mr. Attourny, but if I go and say they are going to do X,y,and Z and they figure that it isn't cost effective or that I am out of my mind, then both Mossberg and I look like dinks...well at least Mossberg cause I already look like that to most you guys anyway. KurtM

I am appreciative of another US manufacturer jumping into our game, but I have to ask what the 930 offers that the FN SLP does not? (Seeing as FN is already a big 3 gun sponsor.)

Edited by Bryan 45

Kurt do you know if there is any chance the new Competion 930's may also have a 22" barrel? Both of my local matches still abide by the 22" maximum rule for shotgun barrel length.

Hmm, my 930 SPX sighted in prefectly for slugs at 50 yds. Plenty of adjustment if you adjust the front sight also. It has run amazingly well, and I like it better than any of my old tuned M1 or Remmys. Only flaw of the SPX was it came with a 7 round tune (easily fixed) and no chokes (I haven't missed 'em). But I would prefer a 21" or so model with chokes and 8 rd tube. It been running great for almost 2 years. I cut back the forearm and lightly beveled the feed area, added a 3-Gun Gear side saddle, and other wise is stock.

Hopefully Mossberg will offer the same features as the FN for $500.00 less.

I am appreciative of another US manufacturer jumping into our game, but I have to ask what the 930 offers that the FN SLP does not? (Seeing as FN is already a big 3 gun sponsor.)

Cheap competitions guns are blasphemy! I will have none of it. I want to pay way too much for a gun that only runs when you treat it just right.