Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you warm up before a match?

LeviSS

In the safe area when I gear up I'll do half a dozen draws.  Looking to insure the rig is set where I want it.  Not for practice, if I noticed a problem at that point I'd be screwed anyway.  It would mess with your focus the rest of the day.  

Gear Up, verify, try not to think about technique, trust your training and have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really consider stretching to be warming up, even though stretching is certainly good to do it just isn't enough by itself. Only stretching before trying to move explosively is not a good prep for moving explosively. Similarly, only stretching before trying to shoot quickly and accurately is also not good prep. A good warm up is going to be centered around prepping for the activities that we are doing.

In an ideal world, my warm up for a shooting match would be something like 50 burpees, 10 minutes of dry fire, and 150 rounds of live fire. The burpees are to get my heart rate up and get blood flowing through my legs and arms, the dry fire is to get my hands warm and it's a controlled environment for everything I'm about to do in the match, and the live fire would be to manage recoil, prepare my eyes for reading the sights, and to further prepare my hands for match pace shooting. Since I normally don't have the ability to live fire before the match, I do more dry fire. My warm up for a shooting match is not the same as my warm up for a 1rm clean and jerk which isn't the same as my warm up for running 5 miles. 

1 hour ago, Jake Di Vita said:

In an ideal world, my warm up for a shooting match would be something like 50 burpees, 10 minutes of dry fire, and 150 rounds of live fire. 

I think you have the right idea. I usually jog for 5-10 mins (especially if it's cool out), and do some practice draws and transitions in the safe area. If time allows I'll do some side to side movements, sort of like anderson's call it and leave it drill but without a gun, just to get used to staying low, moving aggressively, etc....

It seems to me that not warming up before a physical competition is pretty much admitting that you don't take it seriously.  Might as well not practice too.

Edited by motosapiens

• 1 month later...

Saturday I got up around 5am and did about 30min of dry fire. My squad shot the classifier first. I won the stage shooting production. 

This is the first time I have warmed up before a match and it was my best first stage ever.

On 10/16/2016 at 3:33 PM, GARD72977 said:

This is the first time I have warmed up before a match and it was my best first stage ever.

Perhaps there is a reason that serious athletes warm up, lol.

Once I realized shooting was an athletic competition, and I started warming up, I stopped having crappy first stages. Nowadays my first stage of the day is consistently good instead of always being slower and more cautious.

10-20 minutes of dry fire in the garage or hotel room morning off. Same of light exercise and stretching as well. Once at range and gear is on, just a few draws in safety area. Then the rest is all visualization.

Edited by rowdyb

I'm lucky to have a range in my back yard. I try to put a few half mags down range and reload a few times to get the jitters down. If I can't do that, I'll do a little bit of dry fire, and course some at the safe area to make sure everything is in place

• 4 weeks later...