Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maintaining hydration and blood sugar

Peplow530

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying this energy drink, By Strike Force Energy,  a Veteran owned company.  The stuff works really well, but it does not make you shaky or anything like that, Its a nice lift, and it comes in individual packets and different sizes.  I get mine through Smith Outfitters, right now they have a 20% off going on with them.  For hydration, I also try to drink a gallon of water every day regardless, and for matches I'll mix 50/50 water and G3. Beef Jerky, light sandwich or wheat wrap, just pick on stuff.

But check out the strike force energy drink mix, it works well.

Read all the way through and didn’t think anyone was going to mention this. Switched about a year ago and have lost almost 80lbs to date. That’s with powerlifting and cardio (fasted) and doing the ketosis diet. It’s amazing and as others have said, zero sugar crashes. I can go 12-14 hours and never feel like I’m starving due to not having insulin levels going nuts. It’s prescribed by doctors to lots of diabetes patients for this reason and works miracles for mental health and numerous other things. Check out “The Magic Pill” on Netflix for more info but that’s enough for my rant lol. Just love how it changed my life and want to share all the time! For snacks, beef jerky with no sugar, lunch meat, cheese, nuts, etc. I’ll bring some grilled steak or chicken and eat it cold with some cheese also if need be. Lots of water and your good to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, my experience as well. Down about 16 pounds since the middle of December. Keto with intermittent fasting is my new life. I do allow myself one or two days a month to eat whatever I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very low tech. My habit was to eat a light breakfast more than an hour before shooting maybe an egg sandwich or equivalent. I've gone to a more hearty breakfast on match day, just making sure that I only eat enough to feel full, bloated is bad. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2015 at 1:29 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

I like to eat small snacks ( apple, banana, trail mix, almonds, dark chocolate). My lunch is on the lighter side (turkey sandwich, sun chip). I usually just drink water, and will some times bring a poweraid. I try not to get to the point where I am very hungry, very full, or thirsty.

Great advice. Thanks.

I shoot in Florida and have pickles, meat sticks, salami or pepperoni, propell packs, trail mix. Gatorade or Powerade Zero, and a gallon of water that is not chilled... I keep the sweets to a minimum as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, bcane98 said:

I shoot in Florida and have pickles, meat sticks, salami or pepperoni, and a gallon of water that is not chilled.

Hopefully some breath mints?😂 

We found cool water makes you want to drink more when it’s hot weather. Even in the Army if at all possible we found a small amount of ice in the jug made us drink more.

Hopefully some breath mints?[emoji23] 
We found cool water makes you want to drink more when it’s hot weather. Even in the Army if at all possible we found a small amount of ice in the jug made us drink more.

I actually have mento gum in the event the halitosis kicks in [emoji38] or my sweet tooth acts up [emoji38]

I know this is an old thread that was brought back from the dead, but it is kind of timely for me.  I am diabetic and learned the hard lesson that dehydration will send my blood sugar through the roof. I take a cooler with sugar free Powerade or Gatorade with me to a match, specifically one bottle for every two stages. I drink even when I am not thirsty to stay hydrated. I also eat a peanut butter and sugar free jelly sandwich halfway through the match. This has really improved things for me in the later stages of a match, plus helped to keep,the sugar spike from happening. 

If you are trying to hydrate DURING the match to "catch up" you're gonna have a bad time. Start a few days in advance making sure you force yourself to down more water and the match days will go much faster. 
I experience this big time doing summer track days wearing head to toe leather motorcycle suits. If I don't prep before hand it doesn't matter how much gatorade I down the day of the event.

On the importance of hydration ...

Several years ago I was shooting the SC State Championship at Mid-Carolina Rifle Club (an old sand pit basically).  At about Stage 7 my brain basically shut down.  I at least had the sense to tell my squad I was not in any condition to be handling a gun.  In all likelihood, I wasn't at Stage 6 or was at least very borderline.  Since that time I have forced myself to do a bottle of water a stage in the Carolina's humid summers.  I may add a sports drink of some kind and food depending on the length of the match, but the water has become a must.

• 2 years later...
On 5/18/2015 at 1:54 PM, LilBunniFuFu said:

In the summer months in Fl I try to at least finish a bottle per stage. Dehydration is a killer on your scores. If you are sweating a lot then add any sports drink to get your electrolytes back. Food is small and often, dried fruit, nuts, protein bars all are good options. Remember by the time you feel that you are thirsty you are already dehydrated.

1 bottle of jack Dan's per stage.  That's GM pro stuff right there.  

• 8 months later...

I used to have massive problems with the afternoon slump right around 12pm at day-long matches. Like it would feel like i was half asleep during the stage, or moving through molasses.

Heres what helped the most, other than drinking a bottle of water at every stage:

Have your normal breakfast, whatever it is. And then starting with stage 2, have a few nibbles of a sweet fruit every single stage. I normally bring pineapple and watermelon chunks, and have around 3 pieces when I get to each stage. Just enough to keep you not hungry, but not enough to make you full. Those fruits also have a ton of water content for added benefit. No more afternoon slump for me.