Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forgetting to wash my hands...

-JQ-

:surprise:

Yeah I got distracted and forgot. After a few minutes my lips started to burn...then around my nose (thankfully not inside). At first it was just an odd sensation...then bam! Burn burn burn.

It made me think how easy it is to transfer agents from your hands to your...anywhere...thankfully it was just transferred around my mouth :ph34r:

So for all you smoking shooters, try my little test to show you how easy it is to get exposed from hands to mouth...and all I did was apparently rub my face...heaven forbid an errant scratch or pick :blink:

My Thai neighbor gave me some of her tiny nuclear peppers (dried). I used some in chili one time, crushed them, and forgot about it. Later I rubbed one of my eyes......if you had stuck a nail in my eye, it would have felt better!!! I learned from that, not to mention my wife reminds me of it.

My son has been bugging me to get him some Bhut Jolokia Peppers (aka Ghost Peppers) he and a friend wanted to try one, so I bought some off Ebay. He and that friend came to their senses but another friend wasn't so lucky he ate a little corner of one, He was eating ice drinking milk took his shirt off and was in real pain (this was at school of course). They have a rating system for peppers it's the Scoville Rating Ghost Peppers are 1,050,000 Jalapenos are 2,500-8,000 they need to be handled like anthrax.

Tim

The ting that kills me is that that after prepping the jalapenos,  I can wash my hands as many times as I want, I'll remove enough to be convinced there is nothing left, and invariably will rub my eyes with some part of my hands that still has some pepper oil on it somehow hours later and get zapped. 

When I was in culinary school we used capsaicin extract..Why I dont know. but we were mandated to use gloves and eye coverage. one guy did the eye coverage but didnt use goggles. all was ok until after class he went to the restroom didnt wash his hands first. I know he ended up going to the hospital for the problem and swelling and burns and scaring were mentioned. Now hoe it didnt do this to his hands I dont know and why he didnt use the eye dropper to apply it like the rest of us I doont know. but I do remember him screaming and crying and it seemed to be real.

Not my idea of fun though

Most of the jalapenos I've purchased are packed in water-soluble brine. Easily washable. But one canful I bought a couple of years ago was packed in oil. Holy s**t... I couldn't get the oil off of ANYTHING, let alone places on my face and associated cutlery and dishes and containers and cutting surfaces. Even God wouldn't have tolerated this stuff! It took days to get rid of all of it. I even tossed out the peppers because I didn't want to handle ANYTHING with that oily 'stuff' all over it. Brought new meaning to the term 'hot oil treatment'. Jeez. :surprise:

Never prepair peppers before a Hot date :goof:

Jim

Where do you think the song "Hunka Hunka Burnin Love!" came from?

But really, if you haven't suffered the burnt weenie disease enough times to just sit down and accept it, you can't call yourself a pepper eater

Saw this on "Good Eats" the other day. I forget the ratio, but a bleach and water mixture will convert the capsaicin(sp) to a salt that is easily washed off the hands. I haven't tried it, so take it for what its worth.

Saw this on "Good Eats" the other day. I forget the ratio, but a bleach and water mixture will convert the capsaicin(sp) to a salt that is easily washed off the hands. I haven't tried it, so take it for what its worth.

I saw the same episode and could not remember for sure. I though it was 1 part bleach to 5 parts water. Could not find it on Alton's site but a check of wiki answers confirmed the ratio.

At the firestation where I was assigned a few years back we had a rookie. He had watched me make hot sauce with two habaneros, six jalapenos, six piquien(sp?) & six tomatoes with garlic & salt several times. Once when I was on vacation, he decides to make some himself. He did everything right----except the part where you turn the vegetable plastic bag inside out as a glove. Well, he wraps up the sauce & his forehead is sweating a little bit. :goof: He wipes it---OUCH, but doesn't think a thing about it really. Then he has to go visit the urinal. WELLLLLLLL, maybe that is enough said. :surprise: Just let your imagination go there for a few seconds, then switch it off. He said it burned for hours, even after a shower in cold water & everything. hahahahahaha. Then when I get back, he tells me about it, can you believe it? :devil: I asked him if he never noticed me using the bags & he says "I didn't know why you did that". :wacko:

He never made that same mistake again. Live & learn.

MLM

HK MBT,

I really know what you are talking about. Got a bit of capsasin on the fingers and rubbed my eyes :surprise:

Guess who had an instant case of occular cojuctivitis. Now the nitrile gloves are used when working on/with peppers.