Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC

Vince Pinto

OK guys, how would you answer the following:

Q1: What's the best thing about IPSC shooting?

Q2: What's the worst thing about IPSC shooting?

For me:

A1: Having crazy friends in +60 different regions.

A2: Popppers (I really hate the way those skinny bastards taunt me by swaying from left to right dodging my bullets!)

Best- Being a member of a World Wide organization that promoted the most exciting shooting sport on earth.

Worst-Unable to completely bridge the gap between the USPSA and IPSC rulebook. That's not to say that the efforts undertaken to this point aren't appreciated.

1) the sport is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and the people are the best people in the world.

2) the *perception* that IPSC and USPSA have to be on different sides of every argument.  The reality is better than that.

Bruce

1) At the highest level, it could be the most absolutely challenging sport, ever. And I know this is really one more reason, but, like others stated, I've enjoyed the camaraderie with the folks I've met over the years like in no other aspect of my life.

2) The fact that each country gets one vote (IPSC) - no matter how many or how few shooters are actually participating in that particular country.

Ohhh. That's gonna leave a mark.

;)

I'm curious, what specific things in IPSC/USPSA/IDPA (and anything else you want to list) challenge you the most and which least?

For me, the most challenging are the stand-and-blast type stages, while field courses (especially with a lot of movement) are a strength.

I'll post more later.

(Edited by TheItlianStalion at 1:19 am on Jan. 29, 2003)

Jake,

You need to break down your question a lot more. Its not enough to say stand and blast stages give you problems. You should focus on every little detail and determine exactly the problems you are having. Are you slow to react to the buzzer? Is it a bad grip? Is the presentation not centered? Break down every aspect and analyze it. Then identify you problems and work to correct them

In the beginning, any time I could stand and shoot, I did my best. It was when I felt like I had to be "going fast" - like when the targets were very close, or especially after leaving the first position on a stage - that gave me the most trouble. It took several years of basically training on field courses until I felt I became truly competitive "running around like a chicken with my head cut off."

My problem is and always has been the same - whenever I feel as if I should be shooting faster than I actually should be, there's gonna be trouble.

be

I'm too accuracy based. I have a difficult time point shooting a target. I'm fortunate to have made IPSC Master but I doubt I'll ever go any further. I try to be as smooth and fluid as possible but I seem to "hold myself back" just a little bit too much to be truly successful. Give me a "stand and shoot" stage....I'm in my true element.

For me it's timing ---- I know I can hit every target in any stage if I take long enough.  My problem is that sometimes I take slow deliberate shots on wide open 5-7 yard targets, then later in the same stage I'll engage 15 yard partials much faster and wonder why I got Charlie-Delta.  This whole seeing what you need to see and shot calling thing is much easier at walking speed than at racing speed....

BENOS:

At the hightest level, I would have to still say that motocross is the most challenging of all sports ever. Strategy, timming, mental agility, and of course physical conditioning, after all only in IPSC would Benny Hill be considered an athleat!!!

1 A world wide organisation that supports the private ownership of firearms!

2 The squabling between areas and zone on inconsequential little rules a la USPSA/IPSC.             KURT

Jake, as I've told you, I can "stand 'n blast" with just about anybody. But when you throw forward and side movement together with 2 targets on one side and 2 on the other while moving forward, is when I get happy feet. I just take a step, and not turn my body to get the the target. Tight shots are also tough, I can make them, but I still have a hard time slowing down enough to make them. I know I need to work on it, but sitting down a bench in 20 degree weather just doesn't sound fun to me.....

P.S.

Erik Lund! how's GA treating you? You gonna be at the FLA Open?

(Edited by IPSC G34 at 7:30 pm on Jan. 29, 2003)

I like standards and fixed time courses of fire.  My best classifier is Partial People Eaters.

I always feel slow on speed shoots and shoot field courses slower than other shooters in my class.  Hower, this will change as I am training past this weakness.

Great post.

My biggest challenge is the rapid long range shot.  It takes all I have to put together a 50 yard bill drill.  I battle between the tension of the draw and the need for speed v. the need for accuracy.  We do so little accuracy intensive shooting that I really struggle with long range pistol shots during matches.  I can put together an accurate pistol shot but when you add a draw and a clock, it all goes to hell.

Another failing I have is the last shot of an array.  I start thinking about moving or mag changing or whatever and just toss the last shot of an array just to get going.  

Whew! That's a relief.

To me, "wets" means nice people from certain Government agencies who do "wet work", but of course they don't really exist, do they?

Anyway, I guess this means I can stop looking over my shoulder .........