Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC

Vince Pinto

BJ,

Hey, things are fine in GA. I'm starting to get to the local matches on a regular basis to get ready for this season. I really missed not competing as much last year so I'm really looking forward to this season. I won't be at the FL open, but I will be at Area 6 and the SC state championship. If everything goes well, I should also make Area 8. I hear there's a local GM up there who's talking a lot of trash:)

BJ,

Hey, things are fine in GA. I'm starting to get to the local matches on a regular basis to get ready for this season. I really missed not competing as much last year so I'm really looking forward to this season. I won't be at the FL open, but I will be at Area 6 and the SC state championship. If everything goes well, I should also make Area 8. I hear there's a local GM up there who's talking a lot of trash:)

Jake,

Let me ask you this, Is there any difference between driving the gun to the target from the draw and driving the gun to the target after the reload? There shouldn't be. The gun doesn't know it just finished a reload, only you do. Take the same time to get the sight picture from your draw that you do for your reload. Assuming you are shooting the same or similar target, not running a field course. I try to make the first shot after a reload my best. Its very hard to make a bad first shot and then settle down into a comfortable rhythem. Take the time you need to make that first good shot and everything will fall into place

""Anyway, I guess this means I can stop looking over my shoulder .........""

“Always remember, just because you’re paranoid it doesn’t mean that someone isn’t out to get you…”

Don’t worry – rental cars in Florida are no longer easily identifiable but we do drive on the correct side of the road.

Joel

Ha! You guys will never recognise me, because I have a cunning plan.

I'll be wearing my Darth mask, fishnet stockings, high-heels and carrying a light saber, so everybody will ignore me thinking I'm just another college student on spring break!

OK, OK. A college student who had to repeat a few years :)

kurtm,

I've done enough biking - roadracing, motocross, desert racing - to totally know where you are coming from. At the highest level, the motorcrossers are truly amazing athletes. Nevertheless, the reason I put IPSC up there was because of its "mental demands." Motocross, like skiing and (car) roadracing, are "forced concentration"-type sports. Meaning once the flag drops if you're not paying attention to what you are doing you could die. I feel "stop and start" sports, like IPSC, are tougher because the water just keeps boiling...

When The Great One and I started roadracing in the mid 80s, I remember we were talking once after a race and we said that this (roadracing) was "easy" (In a relatively short period of time we were able to occasionally win races in our divisions.) because it wasn't any different than shooting. We were able to take the mental training we had undergone from shooting into the "forced concentration" sport with success.

Your post made me remember being actually right on the track in a supercross event in Tempe some years ago. (Oakley rep got us in.) It was truly awesome watching those guys as they flew through the air. Every limb of their body was doing something to the machine - at the same time. It was incredible.

be

OK Phil,

I finally know why you always have a permanent smile on your face ........

Yeeeee-haaaaaaaaaa! Spank me ;)

I'll keep you guys in mind. My wife (using my credit card, but with no objections on my part), is a regular customer of Victoria's Secret.

Trouble is she gets annoyed if I borrow her stuff, especially since she's a size 8 and I'm what's technically known in haute couture as "A fat bastard".

And your wife sells stuff for the "fuller figure", huh? Hmmmm.

Hey,

Since BE is cool with your lingerie link, maybe we need a "Why do you rush home so quickly after shooting an IPSC match?" forum.

I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator!

BENOS:

Yea I kind of know what you mean! I use to push an open thumper for White brothers racing ( Moose Offroad, matter of fact I still wear thier shirt at matches sometimes just for the fun of it)). I did OK here, but in Europe I was better!! You have a good point about forced concentration, maybe not death but a long time in the hospital!! I found the transition to shooting easy because I didn't have to concentrate for an hour at a time (or more). After each stage it was time to kick back because the pressure was off! Yea it was like 8 starts but the ride was A LOT shorter! Also you are the only one on the line, and don't have to get run over or run anyone else over in the first 60 ft of the course!! The part I found that was the same for both sports was the ability to beat yourself. Yea the mental ride is what its all about!!!!                                      KURT

My gawwwwd how did I miss this thread!!!  I by chance notice that TGO is logging on occasionally lately and he is reading this tome.  Then I learn that it's an undercover coming out party for my buddy Vince!!!  Too crazy.  

As one of the few forum members to meet the infamous Mr. Pinto in person (until the Florida Open is over).  I find it wildly comical imagining him is fish nets and a push up.  Wait,  no way I want to imagine that!!!

Hey,

Since BE is cool with your lingerie link, maybe we need a "Why do you rush home so quickly after shooting an IPSC match?" forum.

I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator! I wanna be moderator!

I can't stop laughing!!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Act all coy and surprised now, big boy, but that's not what you told me when we met recently in Madam Lash's House Of Pain when you confessed to me that your favourite movie is "Eyes Wide Shut".

And can I have my damn handcuffs and whip back? You can keep my spare Darth mask, 'coz <click, wheeze> I've got lots of spares ........

And I say again: Yeeee-haaaaaaaaaaaa!

Q1: What's the best thing about IPSC shooting?

Q2: What's the worst thing about IPSC shooting?

Ok I have an answer.  ( but I'm still laughing so hard I'm not sure it I can type it!!!)

A1:  Guys like Vince Pinto. I'm not sure I've ever met a crazier F#*&ing aussie than him,,,EVER!!!

A2:  Guys like Vince Pinto.  If even the slightest  hint of that goofy bastard crept into my mind during a stage I would be DQ'ed immediatly for uncontrollable laughter!!!

Just a quick reminder:

"Crazy F*&^%$ Aussie" is actually redundant.

All you need to say is "Aussie", and everyone who's ever met one knows you're talking about a crazy F*&^% individual.

;-)

Bruce

I've read this topic several times wondering what is the most challeging for me.  Lots of things are really challenging to me now but I think the one I struggle with the most is consentration during dry practice.  Many times I find that my mind drifts and I pick up a bad  habit.  This translates into lack of confidence and precision for me at the range.  

My approach to fix this is to spend more intervals dry practicing with less duration of each, which is helping.  Also the Burkett DVD's have helped my dry practice and form immensely.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever picture you have in your mind of our Vince, reality is more frightening! It is meeting people like Vince that is one of the best things about IPSC, one of the worst is that some members have ego challenges. Hopefully the climate of IPSC keeps these persons to a minimum, but we do still have them.

In my first post I put thast "someone" told me to look at this site, this someone has since complained about being called just, someone, I thought that by the time I have put a few posts up , he would be glad of the anonimity! So all readers, you can thank Joel for my presense on these hallowed pages.

Be good and keep taking the tablets.

Barry