Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saying Goodbye

sperman

I had to let my foster go today.  Marley was a very sweet soul who loved life, but her body just couldn't keep up anymore.

IMGA0093.jpg

I volunteer for several local rescue groups, and one of the ways I contribute is to foster / adopt older dogs who have little to no chance of getting adopted and would otherwise spend the rest of their life in a kennel.  I know from the start that they won't be with me for long, but it's always too soon.  Even if it's just for a few months, I do whatever I can to make their life as comfortable as possible.  Usually I don't know much of their history, but can only assume they wouldn't have ended up in rescue or the shelter if things were great in their first home.  In Marley's case we knew about her.  She was a breeder that was forced to have a litter every time she came into heat.  That took a toll on her body, and when the breeder was done with her they gave her up to rescue.  I couldn't do anything about the first 11 years of her life, but I did my best to make the last one good.  She spent the last 14 months sleeping on my bed and enjoying a life I doubt she encountered before.  

My trip to Vegas was marred by the fact that I was always worried she wouldn't be waiting for me when I got home, and even if she was this decision would be looming.  I am grateful to have had her as  a part of my life, even if only briefly. 

As a fellow animal lover who's heart breaks at the sight of such lost or unloved creatures, I respect and admire what you're doing—and deeply sympathize with your loss.

If you haven't read it yet, I'd like to recommend a book for you, "Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog" by Ted Kerasote. I'll bet it will mean a lot to you.

Curtis

I hear you, 2?? yrs ago i had to put down my furry best friend of some 18 yrs...it was honestly THE most gut wrenching thing I have ever had to do....then got rid of the dogloo out back and the water and food bowls and the chew toys and told myselfthat I would never do that again.....well,that lasted about 2 months, adopted a 2 yr old Black lab mix from a high kill shelter that I heard he was on his last week....he is great, everything you could want and more....

anyone outthere who can, get these animals out ofthe shelters and into forever homes, you dont know how good you will feel till you do

I have a very soft spot for animals. The wife and I volunteer for a cat rescue organization and foster litters. Currently have two little white puff balls running around the house upsetting the balance of our own brood.

The older ones are tough to adopt out. Most everyone wants a kitten or puppy but a chosen few see beyond the cute and ask for an adult. Two of our brood are adults that just didn't get adopted after several months of being shuttled between fosters.

During Katrina we answered the call to help in animal rescue. Rewarding. Several hundred were processed in the short time I helped over a few days. But I'm still haunted by an old yellow Lab. Old guy with a bandana around his neck. No tags. He would look at each and every person walking by trying to identify his owner. No joy. I've always wondered what happened to him.

Microchip your pet. If for some reason your pet and you are ever separated the chip can help greatly in getting you and your furry family back together. Our organization now makes it a policy of adoption.

Wow, I guess you could call that hospice care for dogs. What a great concept and a generous gesture. Kinda brings tears to the eyes, but kindness to animals is one of the nicest things we can do to practice our nobler virtues. Thank you for caring for our quadruped friends who, well, just need friends and a touch of love.

There's a special place reserved in heaven one day for you, Scott. And I've no doubt the many dogs you have loved will be right there waiting...

What a wonderful, sad and heartwarming story. Your generosity is great.

Bobby and I took in a stray dog about 18 months ago and she has become the love of our lives. We wouldn't trade her for anything and knowing that we took her off the streets and love her as much as we do, makes my heart warm.

Thank you for sharing.

I always have respect for people who rescue animals, but to rescue animals that you know are near the end of their life is even more generous of you.

So good on you for giving her a great 14 months.

Sad. But like you said, you gave her a life she probably never had. The pain will never go away, but the pangs will come fewer and farther apart as time passes.

My wife works animal welfare, and it seems like the house is empty if 3 or 4 of our pack of 9 aren't home! I gripe, but wouldn't give any of them up for anything!

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately, it's that time again.

Vanna came into rescue shortly after I lost Marley. I knew there was a good chance she would eventually end up at my house, but I needed time to recover.

She was found wondering down the road. She was severly emaciated, and was matted so bad they had to shave her coat.

Vanna-1-300x300.jpg

A little over a year ago I brought her home, and she wasn't in much better shape.

IMG_3912.jpg

I didn't think she would get her coat back. When they are that old and weak, it's not unusual for the body to spend its energy on better things. That wasn't the case with Vanna. She ended up witha coat worthy of any show collie at Westminster.

IMG_4024.jpg

Unfortunately she started deteriorating a few months ago. She had a really bad night right before I left for DoubleTap. I thought I was going to have to cancel my trip, but she was better in the morning, and continued to be OK for the next few weeks. Last weekend she started downhill again, and by last night it was obvious that she was ready to cross the bridge.

The last 3 Boxers my wife and I had (including the 2 we currently own) have been from rescue. After they and the cat we have (put down the 2nd cat two wks ago) are gone, we're going to take a break for a while. In the last 26+ years, we always had a pet. From 1 cat (first 3 years of marriage) to 5 pets (3 dogs and 2 cats) but it is time to have an empty nest for a while. Hopefully that will be 5 or more years from now. I agree with adopting older pets. One Boxer we adopted, Heidi, only lived with us for a few years, but she was a good girl and I am glad we had her.