Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Screwed up while RO'ing

Sarge

I screwed up while running the clipboard at a local match last week. I forgot to get a time for one shooter on a reshoot. And I failed to notice REF on the texas star for the same shooter. I feel like crap since I pride myself on generally being somewhat of a perfectionist. I only hope that I learn from these mistakes and not let them happen again. The RO I was helping,who was helping me get more training, was great and told me I would learn alot from those mistakes.

There is alot to learn and the curve can be quite steep at times but I will get there.

A note to shooters. Even though the RO is there for you don't forget that he might be new and might screw up and that will give you a chance to be there to help him.

A note to shooters. Even though the RO is there for you don't forget that he might be new and might screw up and that will give you a chance to be there to help him.

I totally agree.

I've been watching the ROs working stages at small club matches and a few level IIs. I'm awed at the level of responsibility, both wrt safe gun handling, scoring, ensuring that the stage presents the same level of challenge to all squads, and 'managing' the interpersonal side.

When I've matured as a competitor, I will ask to start RO training. Meanwhile, I'll continue to look-listen-learn.

The only thing I would say about waiting is don't do it. You can learn a ton while going to an RO class then you can set your own pace for jumping in to actually RO. This is my first year at the game and I took the plunge and went to an RO class after two things happened. I got nudged by somebody to go for it. (Thanks Frandoc) And second I saw some RO's that left me less than impressed. You can get away with not RO'ing for a little while but when you shoot with some of the same people on a regular basis you will get drawn into it. If you are lucky enough to be around a great bunch of shooters it is all the easier to get involved.

The sport needs good RO's.

The only thing I would say about waiting is don't do it. You can learn a ton while going to an RO class then you can set your own pace for jumping in to actually RO. This is my first year at the game and I took the plunge and went to an RO class after two things happened. I got nudged by somebody to go for it. (Thanks Frandoc) And second I saw some RO's that left me less than impressed. You can get away with not RO'ing for a little while but when you shoot with some of the same people on a regular basis you will get drawn into it. If you are lucky enough to be around a great bunch of shooters it is all the easier to get involved.

The sport needs good RO's.

Amen.

I believe practice is as important to becoming a competent RO as it is becoming a good shooter. I also believe being an RO helps you become a better shooter too.

Kevin,

That is why you might have heard that little bit of preaching at the shooter's meeting. Meaning...you aren't the first one and you won't be the last. :)

And, that is why the rule book...as well as the shooter's meeting...points out to everybody that their score sheet is their responsibility. (9.7.1 & 9.8.1)

It is also why we run that "Rule of 3 Circles".

- One circle for the hits, if they total up to the required amount.

- One circle for the time.

- One circle for any penalties.

And, we require that the shooter sign off on their score sheet.

BTW, a couple of upper-class shooters were messing around when they ran each other (long day). By the end of all that, one guy got tagged with 2 penalties that he didn't really have (the RO on the clip-board wasn't in on the joke). Whoops...there went a match win.

(It is apparent that you care to do the job right, and that you will. Thanks for sharing...and giving me a chance to get on the soapbox. :))

Welcome to the fraternity....you're a member of the human race, complete with the frailties and deficiencies assigned thereto.

The fact you care enough to be concerned about missing a step while working as an RO (the person with the clipboard is, too) shows a lot of good character.

If you learned something from the experience, and it sounds like you did, you're good to go. You can work with me any time.

:)

I had been shooting for a couple of months before I felt brave enough to take the clip board.  One of the first matches that I was scoring I forgot to write down the time for the first two shooters on the first stage.  I wanted to run off in the woods and hide, but all I could do was own up to it and move on.  I haven't made that mistake since, and I bet you won't either.

Remember, you did your most important job, right: safety. Safety first, safety always.

Scoring mistakes will happen, just do your best and learn from them.

But you've got the right attitude to make a great RO.

With experience, the sort of mistakes that occurred will be few and far between for you.

:cheers:

Curtis

You will make mistakes. Admit them, learn from them, and be fair. Many scorekeepers get only on-the-job training, with little preparation. For this reason I put together a web page tutorial on how to do it - with an example of a properly completed scoresheet. This way many of our new folks have a bit of a heads-up before they get "volunteered" to do it - and it does appear to have helped.

Chris

Feedback is welcome:

http://orpci.org/content/ipsc_intro/scorekeeping_101.htm

yrs ago as a newly certified RO, my partner and I took over the afternoon shift of a stage at the Golden gate championships, and our next squad was the 'super squad' voigt, leatham et al....and we had all kinds of stuff happen, everything from pass thru's a picnic table into no-shoots, to an actual fire of upburnt powder in a plastic barrel port, I swear i aged 5 yrs in that one squad, butthe experience made me a better RO for it, stuff is going to happen out there, and between your training and the rules set down, step up and handle it the best way you can....

I have been a RO/CRO since 1986, and at a local match

just a few weeks ago, I didn't look at the score sheet

and they had the wrong time put in. I ran it in 21.84

and the had put down 41.84... If I had taken the time

to read it over, I would have seen the mistake. S%#T

happens, and you move on.

get a routine, always do the same exact thing every time in the same order,

at beginning of squad or as soon as I take timer if in the middle of squad, I announce,

"I will be scoring starting XXX and continuing in YYY direction" (prevents early tapes)

" I glance at score sheet and call the shooter by Name to the line, I dont care if I know you for 100 years I call you by the name on the score sheet, this prevents score sheet and name mix ups,

BY the book range commands, I also glance at timer as last shots are being recorded to insure I get the right last shot time, I then hold it over my sholder so the score keeper can see it, After I give range command "Range is clear" I call out the time and will have the score keeper repeat it too me, I score paper by calling out, "T1- AA, T2 AC, T3 C mike, I ask the score keeper to repeat that back to me also, after the last target is scored I announce "All scored paste em"

My routine isnt the only but having an exact routine can help you out especially on long hot days when you are getting a little brain fried.

Kevin

As the "shooter" Don't sweat it. It was a long day and I probably had everybody worked up, doing the last shot leap and shooting the Cooper sticks. I love stuff like that. :devil:

I make mistakes too and try to learn. I don't really care a lot about club matches cause I'm usually tired or hung over. ;)

Really I too pride myself on running a fair stage and being a good RO and not being noticed which is one of the ways to gauge good officiating in any sport. The circles can help and by the rules, its my fault for not checking.