Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jman

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw an extended trailer a few minutes ago and it blew me away. Our technology just keeps growing...

and we keep getting more dumber...oops I mean more stupider....yeah that's it!!!

oops, I almost forgot....I just got back from seeing this movie....very well done, but it is just a re-make of "last of the mohicans"....been done....and been done more better (who says technology is making us stoopid)

Edited by AriM

Questions to those who have seen it. Which 3D version did you see it in? Regular screen 3D Avatar or the gigantic 3D Avatar IMAX. Is it that big a difference or?

Jim

I saw it at the Imax with my son. We were both blown away. Say what you may about the plot, the special effects on their own were worth the price of admission.

No 3D for me; no depth perception. Watched the Frankenstien 3d years ago and it was all fuzzy. :(

On the effects, awesome! On the moral of the story, I'd have to disagree with the majority so far. The theme is not tree-huggers vs humans but our own loss of humanity and the ability to wrest emotional control back from the marketeers and profiteers. The movie is definately anti-warmonger, as are most Americans. In our better times we go to war to right a wrong as do the blue folks. We just happen to be pretty butt-kicking good at it and that doesn't sit will with the natives of other countries who are still in the 50% or less win/loss ratio.

Yeah, the plot was predictable. However, if we'd learn the lessons we could move on. Avatar was good. Night at the Museam 2 was good as well, for me. Good moral stories help my soul's depth.

Leam

The story sucked mostly because it was too much rehash of other movies...two parts Dances With Wolves, one part The Return of The Jedi, and a pinch of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and maybe a whiff of Panzer Dragoon: Orta. I also am starting to have a problem with American military personnel, by design or inference, current or former being portrayed as one dimensional baby killers. More realistically, despite the dangers of the place there would be a court set up somewhere on the base and there would be some pretty outlandish basketball games going on with the visitors adamantly pointing out the height disadvantage and wanting to be spotted at least 50 points.

I also like to think that human beings, no matter where they come from would have some appreciation for the marvels and the beauty of Pandora to not want to ruin it, no matter how valuable unobtanium was.

The 3D was okay, but I guess trying to see through two pairs of glasses may have messed up some of the effects for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it again last night at the IMAX. Not sure if it was mind blowing better on the big format, but I would definitely suggest that if you are seeing it for the first time to try and see it in IMAX. I think I'm going to try an see it at least one more time before the IMAX option is over!!!

I saw this last night in 3-D. It was the most amazing movie I've seen in years. Yes, the story is certainly too stereotypical. I doubt that any enterprise that could afford the expense required to mount an interplanetary expedition would put two putzes like those in the movie in charge of such a monumental investment. What amazed me was the phenomenal thought and creativity that went into the alien ecosystem, the very convincing animation and the spectacular special effects and computerized modeling.

I saw this last night in 3-D. It was the most amazing movie I've seen in years. Yes, the story is certainly too stereotypical. I doubt that any enterprise that could afford the expense required to mount an interplanetary expedition would put two putzes like those in the movie in charge of such a monumental investment. What amazed me was the phenomenal thought and creativity that went into the alien ecosystem, the very convincing animation and the spectacular special effects and computerized modeling.

That is what I think I loved the most about this movie was the planet it's self, the landscapes and the visual beauty. I liked the story, I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, I saw it for a second time with my wife and she was as blown away as I was. :cheers:

My and my girlfriend went to see it at IMAX last night, but it was sold out. The girl behind the ticket window was just slowly shaking her head with a half smile - she said all shows have been sold for 3+ weeks.

I guess an online advance ticket purchase is in order.

be

We came away afterward imagining the technology (which is fantastic) used in a film with a great original story and characters I care about. Can't wait.

Jim

The first time we saw it was in 2D, as localy we do not have a 3D or IMAX. A few days ago we were in orlando and saw it in IMAX. WOOOOW. It was like seeing a whole differant movie. There was even more detail than i remember from the 2D version. I even caught myself swatting at a bug (I quickly glanced at my wife to make sure she had not seen me do that). It was worth the extra cost over the 2D.

I doubt that any enterprise that could afford the expense required to mount an interplanetary expedition would put two putzes like those in the movie in charge of such a monumental investment.

Or that given the supposed immense value of the mineral they would not come back with a lot more troops and bigger guns, nuke the place from orbit, and strip mine the planet until the only trees left standing would be the bonsai on the desks of the company execs.

I doubt that any enterprise that could afford the expense required to mount an interplanetary expedition would put two putzes like those in the movie in charge of such a monumental investment.

Or that given the supposed immense value of the mineral they would not come back with a lot more troops and bigger guns, nuke the place from orbit, and strip mine the planet until the only trees left standing would be the bonsai on the desks of the company execs.

Good point(s), but doubtful either would have been an interesting movie.