Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets forward or back

kildar

I'm still undecided which bullet orientation is best for 30 rd. AR mags in a mag holder on the belt. Bullets forward or bullets back. Currently I'm doing it bullets forward because it is the same orientation and hand movement as my pistol mags. I've been practicing with bullets back lately and am liking it too. Anyone work this out definitively? Any real advantage one way or the other or is it just whatever works for you?

Edited by kildar

I run bullets back in rifle mags on the belt. No real definitive answer to which is best as it seems to be personal preference. I grab and insert my rifle mags differently than my pistol mags. Bullets back works for me the best.

In my plate carrier rig....I also run my mags up instead of down. It works much better for me. Everyone looks at my vest and says....hey...you know you've got your mags in those pouches wrong? Then I always have to explain and show my technique to them and I always see the light bulb brighten.

It boils down to what technique works best for you and your given skillset.

Bullets back. It's not a pistol mag. I think you have more power over the mag body when you grasp it bullets back.

Bullets up and forward also offers a speedy relaod although your mag lips and ammo are exposed.

I have a little more time.....I prefer bullets back due to what I feel is a better grip on the mag and better control given the motion needed to reload the AR.

That being said not all mag pouches are designed for bullets back....most are bullets forward. You can get the Ready Tactical in a mag back and you can run them either way in the Wilderness pouches.

Ummm.....pmag with a nordic extension, or if you have to do a reload a couple set of mags. For me I run my AR "Oh Crap" mag on my weak side slightly behind my center line and run it bullets forward. Grab it like a pistol mag and slam it home.

Bullets forward, but my reload/emergency mag is a 20 rounder. The baseplate fits in the palm like a pistol mag and I can get a finger on the nose of the bullet like a pistol mag. Plus it fits on the belt better.

Most of the time 2 cinched mags, a 40 rounder or my 90 rounder does the job but on those drill stages that require a reload, the 20 reloads faster off the belt or table then a 30 rounder for me.

Edited by Filishooter

Bullets back for me. Friends went to a tactical carbine class, and they call it a "beer can reload". I've tried it both ways, and I seem to have better control of the mag that way. I do see how the 20 rd. mag would be easier to load pistol-style, though.

Bullets back for me. Friends went to a tactical carbine class, and they call it a "beer can reload". I've tried it both ways, and I seem to have better control of the mag that way. I do see how the 20 rd. mag would be easier to load pistol-style, though.

The so called "beer can reload" or "outside grab" on the mag has gained popularity from the insert and tug method of verification that the mag is seated upon a reload. Thats a big part of the reason I changed from bullets forward to bullets back. It also made my reloads more efficient and as you said.....gives me better control.

Back to the topic at hand, I reload bullets back from a 3 gun gear T-rig on my weak leg. Since I'm grabbing low it's a more natural motion for me to just swing the mag in front of me and it orients correctly to go into the gun.

Bullets forward, baseplate up, from a bladetech pouch on the weak side.

I grab it such that my palm is on the side of the mag closest to my body (as it sits in my belt)thumb pointed down. The outer 2 joints end up on the outside of the mag.

When held this way my thumb ends up lined up with the bolt release as the magazine is inserted so that the bolt release can be hit as the reload is finished.

Edited by caspian guy

My mags are carried bullets back. I usually shoot HM, and with an M1A, that's the only way to load- a la Kurt Miller. So, with the AR, I try to keep things as consistent as possible. Plus, I've seen so many mags fall back out on the first shot, I do the slam and tug method on the mag.

Oh yeah, and the paper comes over the top. :)