Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Dad has it and really likes it. It takes some getting used to, but the type is quite legible, the flexibility is impressive, and I found it to work well.... I don't read enough to justify it, but for someone who does, its a novel (sic) idea.

I bought one for my wife in March and she loves it. She's able to increase the font size so she no longer has to use her reading glasses. We're saving so much money on books that I'll be able to afford a new gun soon! Hope this helps.

I messed around with a first generation when I was TDY with someone that had one...the screen was too small and I got tired of waiting for the screen to "turn" to the next page in rather short order. I really didn't like them.

However, the DX (large screen) shows enough text that even as fast as I read, it is only about as annoying as turning the page ;)

Having the complete works of "Skippy" Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Kipling on hand with thirty or forty other books should be enough to stay busy on those long flights to Buttcrackistan :cheers:

Downloading Mobil's "Complete Works of ___" package for five bucks is pretty darn neat, by the way. Your credit card bill does look like hell, but most of the charges are a buck or two :)

Alex

FYI

On the news yesterday, they talked about a lawsuit against Amazon. It seems that a college student bought and downloaded a copy of "1984" on his Kindle. He was doing a class assignment on it. Then "1984" was not on his Kindle. :surprise: He contacted Amazon, and was told "Amazon did not have the rights to sell "1984". So Amazon deleted "1984" from his computer. :angry2: Amazon did refund him his money.

Anyway, just something to think about.

A.T.

On the news yesterday, they talked about a lawsuit against Amazon.

I believe that they found out that it was a pirated version of 1984 and it, along with "Animal Farm", were deleted. The student was refunded. Problem is, it was done without notice or permission and the student had attached a lot of notes for class which were also deleted.

It's also just plain ironic that it had to be "1984" that was deleted in this "Big Brother is Watching" fashion.

Before you buy, consider the Sony Ebook reader as well. My wife has had one for years and she loves it. Much smaller than the kindle and the screen contrast is better. It will read lots of formats including anything you can dump to a PDF. The kindle will only read PDFs converted through their website for a fee and the acrobat support is reported to be poor.

It's also just plain ironic that it had to be "1984" that was deleted in this "Big Brother is Watching" fashion.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

But, more than ironic is daunting and scary.... :(

That's exactly what I was thinking!

But, more than ironic is daunting and scary.... :(

Yeah...that makes me wonder if it's not myth ? The story is too good?

I first heard about the Kindle a number of months ago. While I was checking it out, one of the big features that was marketed was the readability (ease on eyes?).

Any truth to that?

A (mostly) dedicated reader...? Not sure about that.

• 3 months later...

I read for hours at a time on mine with no eyestrain.

As respects fees to load your own documents: Domestically, it is 15 cents per MB. There is also a way to load it for free via USB from your computer.

I first heard about the Kindle a number of months ago. While I was checking it out, one of the big features that was marketed was the readability (ease on eyes?).

Any truth to that?

A (mostly) dedicated reader...? Not sure about that.

Unlike regular books, e-books do not allow you to transfer the book to someone else when you are done with it.

More importantly, is that vendors seem to be silent on the question of long term ownership of what you buy. Will you be able to transfer the books to a new model kindle, or to a neutral format if the Kindle becomes obsolste? What if your Kindle is destroyed - does your ownership interest in what you have already bought for it vanish? Amazon can remotely delete books - will they delete and transfer licenses to a new Kindle if yours is stolen?

The Kindle seems like a good way to replace the "buy-read-discard" cycle, but has certain problems as a replacement for one's personal library.

Books are bulky, but you don't have a single item that could render your entire library useless.

The books are stored on your Kindle account. You can register more than one Kindle to an account. Two people can read the same book at the same time.

For me it is a great thing, I often travel to remote places, many times in non-English speaking countries, so it can be tough to find books on a long trip. Also, now I don't have to carry 5 books for a 3 or 4 week trip.

The books are stored on your Kindle account. You can register more than one Kindle to an account. Two people can read the same book at the same time.

Cool. Are you able to have a book removed from your account and moved to another, or is the sale price a no-resell license?