Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stopped chainsmoking

DonT

Told myself I wasn't going to post this but then I thought it might give someone else an initiative to quit.

Its been 1 month today since my last cigarette and I'm over it. Not saying I wouldn't like to have one, but the will to be a non-smoker for the rest of my life is greater than the will to have one. For me, there is no such thing as "just one more". It would be the bullet that killed me.

Anyway, its just a personal accomplishment, a giant monkey off my back.

......and I've gained 12lbs. hungry all the time :D

I hear you man, my last official one more was Jan 31st... :cheers:

To all of you who are struggling with the on off, one more, one more pack, etc., it

really does get easier everyday(after the initial 2 weeks). And you become this anti-smoking cop. You start to

pick up smokers an isle away at the store just by their smell. And their smell is so awful you cant imagine why

you did that for 20 years, Trust me, I was the worst quitter ever !!

Oh ya P.S. I've gained something like 20 lbs. but my shooting has never been better, must be the better

recoil control !! :lol:

Edited by P.Pres

Congrats, Don.

I 'only' smoked for about 5 years and it was tough to quit.

When you want a cig, just remind yourself of all the reloading/equipment/guns you can get with the $ you're saving...

Great job dude! I'm actually in the midst of a discussion on another forum over smoking and it's nice to hear that someone else can just quit. My brother did the same thing!

When he was quitting, every time he got an urge, he put the cost of a pack in to a fish bowl. After about 2 years...he was able to almost pay for his new car.

Rich

Congrats! I have a quick story of encouragement for you. My Father in Law worked for Phillip Morris for 26 years as an engineer in their Flavor Division. He had smoked since he was 14 years old, and obviously as an employee of PM he wasn't discouraged from continuing the habit. When he retire 2 years ago, he stopped smoking. Stopped. Never again.

His only reason? They're not free anymore.

Quitting cold turkey can be done and its sustainable. Good for you for giving it up.

(after the initial 2 weeks)
:huh:

WOW ... I had to get past the initial 6 MONTHS before I felt that I was free from the daily urges to smoke. I smoked for 20 years, and tried to quit at least a dozen times. I went to hypnotists, and tried subliminal tapes ..... the whole kit and kaboodle. Finally one day I just decided I'd had enough, and quit. And yes, even after 5 years of not smoking I still want one. I try to treat it like I am an alcoholic. I tell myself "I can NEVER have another cigarette." NEVER! Thats what keeps me smoke free. :)

PS Kyle reminded me of something the hypnotist said that made alot of sense ....... You were born a NON-SMOKER ....... so it shouldn't feel so odd to be a NON-SMOKER again. It's actually quite natural.

(after the initial 2 weeks)
:huh:

WOW ... I had to get past the initial 6 MONTHS before I felt that I was free from the daily urges to smoke. I smoked for 20

Two weeks was my hardest time. I was surrounded by smokers, wife still smokes, work, etc..

I quit for two weeks probably 20-30 times . The thing that did it for me was the "decision" that I had to make for

myself. Everytime I wanted just one more I would think of how I wanted to be a non-smoker and how dissappointed I was

in my-self everytime I fell off the wagon before.

My wife still smokes and I have "no" urges what so ever, none. I now think she stinks !! :wacko:

Edited by P.Pres

Don,

you finally did it. I saved your PM

March 30, 2008:

"Thanks for your support and interest.

I think about it daily and I'm going to do it. I'm finding there never seems to be a good time. This weekend bombarded with one family emergency after another. I know...excuses rolleyes.gif"

Do you remember?

Now, stick to your decision!

Good Luck!!! :cheers:

post-3295-1247904997_thumb.png

Congrats, you are going to feel so much better, food is going to taste and smell better, not to mention all the money your going to save, you'll have a new gun in no time. I was 2 1/2 packs a day and did the same thing, its ben 5 years, so hears a pat on the back, good job

GOOD JOB !!!! KEEP IT UP !!!!!

I smoked for 26 years and I just decided on a Wednesday that I wasn't going to be smoking by the next Wednesday and that is what I did. It's been 12 years now and every once in a while I still get the urge to have one. Just resist the urges and you'll be better off.

GOOD !!!! JOB !!!! KEEP IT UP !!!!

:cheers:

• 1 year later...

Well it's been 2 years today since I smoked my last cig. I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't wanted one or thought about it but it's definately over. I've lost all the weight I gained after stopping and I feel the best I've felt in 20 years. I was actually able to get a life insurance policy recently on a "Preferred Non-Smoker" rate :D . Thanks everyone who posted all the words of encouragement

edited, can't spell

Edited by DonT

I quit a long time ago and I still get a craving every now and then. Good for you guys quitting! Its an expensive and dangerous habit. And quitting cold turkey can be done, its tough but For me there was no other way.

Well it's been 2 years today since I smoked my last cig. I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't wanted one or thought about it but it's definately over. I've lost all the weight I gained after stopping and I feel the best I've felt in 20 years. I was actually able to get a life insurance policy recently on a "Preferred Non-Smoker" rate :D . Thanks everyone who posted all the words of encouragement

edited, can't spell

Congratulations! :cheers:

It's funny how we can recall that quit date so easy. I hope I always do; keeps things in perspective.... Jan. 6, 2007 for me

Edited by dsmw5142