Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practical Shooting comes easily?

little_kahuna

I agree with JT, 30 years ago would have been a lot easier. Starting at 49 was a little tough. I will say progression has been slow but steady and I guess as long as that continues I'll be happy.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a hard question. What is really the definition of "easy". If someones goal at a match is to follow the rules and range commands, shoot the targets, and make it safe after they are done. Then that is pretty fricken easy.

If the goal is to be a GM or just whip up on GM's at whatever classification then that is obviously a lot harder.

I made it from "U" to "A" class in Limited within a year. I can tell you that getting it done wasnt "easy". But others may think it was easy for me since it didnt take long for me to move through the classes.

Anything worth while isnt "easy".

Easy?...it sure is. Though I am a lowly C-class shooter it is really planned. I figure I paid good money to shoot a match so I will take my time and enjoy it. GM is just around the corner! :roflol:

It's like chess. You can learn the basics in an afternoon and spend the rest of your life getting better at it.

Nice!

Matt initially classified as an M. Ben initially classified as a GM.

I think it largely depends on your mind set.

For me, getting better was pretty easy, but I was 100% devoted to it. When you are dry firing 4 hours a day, it is pretty easy to get better.

For at least the first 10 years or so, if I wasn't dry-firing, practicing, loading ammo, or working on my blaster, I was thinking about shooting.

IMO, Practical Shooting is one of the hardest if not the hardest sport there is to get good at. Just standing still, shooting a pistol accurately at a medium distance, is difficult to master. Because the main feature of the event includes what's akin to a firecracker going of in front of your face, every time you pull the trigger. Then take the skill set from there to what the advanced shooters posses - high-speed coordination, timing, visual acuity, subtle and full body movements - it's crazy. And then put on top of all that - heh - you can go as fast as you want to. But - your score is your points divided by your time.

Comstock Golf - now that would be a good one.

be

I have no idea whether or not the shooting itself comes easier to certain people. That said, I definitely think practice comes easier to some people. Depending on your personality and your situation in life, you may or may not be inclined to stand in your house and dry fire for hours at a time. I would guess that those differences between people translate to skill more effectively than plain old natural talent. Just my .02

Edited by Rob D

A major reason I moved my family from Ohio to Arizona was that the shooting environment was so much better in Arizona than it was in Ohio. It flat out sucked when I lived there in the mid to late '70s. Now there's a guy that wants to shoot. (I was in heaven when I got to AZ BTW.)

be

A major reason I moved my family from Ohio to Arizona was that the shooting environment was so much better in Arizona than it was in Ohio. It flat out sucked when I lived there in the mid to late '70s. Now there's a guy that wants to shoot. (I was in heaven when I got to AZ BTW.)

be

And we here on the forums are all so happy you made that move and we can now benefit from all the wisdom you are always providing us. :bow:

Edited by STI2011

Comstock Golf - now that would be a good one.

be

You'd still have those who complain "this is a sport, not an athletic event." :wacko:

Anything that benefits you for staying in shape, is good I say. :ph34r:

Edited by diablodawg

• 2 weeks later...

I can believe Matt C. first classified as a master. Or anyone else for that matter. Just because you classify as a master on the first try, doesn't mean you haven't been shooting and learning for a very long time. I honestly believe that anyone who has never shot before, could pick up a pistol and classify as an M on their first try, no matter what their "natural ability". I have shot dozens of matches, winning quite a few over the years, but have never shot a TRUE SANCTIONED match. I never joined the USPSA. I don't even know how I would rank, I only know how I do at the local club. I have thought about joining for years, but everytime I seriously get into it, something comes up. Usually work. My work sends me all over the country and caribbean, usually on a moments notice. Besides the fact that where I'm at, there aren't too terribly many places nearby to shoot at (Gainesville, FL). And I know, you guys are gonna start telling me of places to go and get classified, which I would appreciate, but it doesn't make up for a lack of time. Sorry about the thread drift....

On to the subject... I think that what some people perceive as easy or hard has little to do with it actually being easy or hard. What I think is that most people put too much empahasis on their perceived slowness, lack of accuracy, etc. instead of focusing on what is at hand, which would be them getting better by increments, although it might be imperceptible to them. I have seen many frustrated new shooters just up and quit, with all of us trying to explain to them that Rome wasn't built in a day. Ask Matt, who classified as a M, on his first try at it, if he ever practiced live, dry fire, etc. Chances are, he'll say yes. So, natural ability? Yes. Desire to be better? Yes. Competitive nature? Yes. It is a a conglomerate of things which makes the shooter (although natural ability never hurts! :P )

I honestly believe that anyone who has never shot before, could pick up a pistol and classify as an M on their first try, no matter what their "natural ability".

I'm going to assume there's a missing word there, that what you meant to say is, "I honestly don't believe...."

I honestly believe that anyone who has never shot before, could pick up a pistol and classify as an M on their first try, no matter what their "natural ability".

I'm going to assume there's a missing word there, that what you meant to say is, "I honestly don't believe...."

Yep, you're right. Typo. I honestly don't believe.. that this will or could happen, natural ability or not.

Most of practical shooting comes easy to me (especially the low ports :D ). If a person who has never shot before could pick up a gun and make master, I would like to meet them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like riding a bike. You climb on and before long your thinking "This is easy". So, Dad takes of the training wheels. Then after a little while your thinking "This is easy", and you venture out of the driveway. In no time at all your thinking "This is easy", until you see your friends are building a huge ramp in their back yard.

I think most of the people that frequent this forum would lose interest in anything that came easily.

It's like chess. You can learn the basics in an afternoon and spend the rest of your life getting better at it.

Well said! However, unlike Chess, there are mental, physical, mechanical and intellectual aspects to this game. Each one of those is multi-faceted as well.

Nothing worth doing well is free or easy.

I've always said that how good you become as a practical shooter has nothing to do with where you are starting, but with how much you are willing to sacrifice along the way.

I think that has a lot to do with it and I think like Brian stated, to get to be decent takes a lot of obsessing on it for a lot of years.

You can have the best fundamentals and still struggle, as there is a lot to be said about having experience to draw from, as stages and matches are dynamic. That is something I love about action shooting, it is always different each time out. The more experiences you have the easier is is to apply strategy to stages also.

Shooting a handgun accurately while standing is hard enough until you have lots of practice, then add in all the crazy stuff we do and I would be hard pressed to say it is and easy thing, even after all the blood, sweat and tears. After you don't have to think about the shooting the gun part, there is a whole new level of challenges that come up, especially once you have to try to figure out how the heck you are getting so badly beaten by a old big guy with one leg.

Wasn't easy for me when I started. Wasn't easy when I was really into it. And now a days it is incredibly difficult.

The question is fairly complex though. If I could truthfully go to a match and not care about results, just plink and have a jolly good time then I think the sport would be easier. My personality type (that I am exceptionally proud I have) is one that is difficult to satisfy. I remember so much about the best match I ever shot, and I was fortunate to do well there, yet I can still think of the areas I would have done better.

Part of that is the competitor in me that wants to to win. Part of it is just me figuring that if I'm going to do something I might as well do it right the first time . . .

Jack

Does practical shooting (USPSA) come easily to anyone?

I know a lot of things come easily to me, coloring in the lines, playing video games, falling on my a$$ while skateboarding, but I don't think practical shooting comes easily to me. What's up with that?

So I say again: Does Practical Shooting come easily to anyone?

Yes! It has always been the easiest difficult thing I ever tried. I remember the first time I went to a USPSA introduction\safety course. It was 1992 and I felt pretty comfortable getting checked out by the Master that was running the class. I don't think there was such a thing as a GM in those days. He gave us some basic draw and shoot drills. Lots of safety stuff too. I felt very much at home with everything. And I was hooked.

For perspective, I just scribble with a crayon and can't color in the lines for squat. I always lose when playing video games. Racing dirt-sickels was always fun but I was never quite in control, like Malcomb Smith riding WFO in the movie "On Any Sunday". I rode WFO a lot, but the crashes will make an old man out of you.

Yes, Practical Shooting always came easy to me.

Algebra never did. :angry2:

It depends. If you can get over the hump of running with a gun, and can plan a stage, and have mediocre accuracy, then you're already scratching the top echelons. I won L10 at the DoubleTap with just a couple of matches under my belt. I had spent the winter dryfiring, reading, watching the Burkett videos, and getting to the range when I could. But that was a shallow pool. The next matches in SS and Limited, I was quickly humbled.

I still don't classify worth a damn, but I'm a contender at most matches, and it all comes down to two things, consistency and planning. If you can just avoid the crashes, then the average performance number on things like reloads aren't that fast, at least compared to dryfire times and possibles. And there are a few things that seemed to only come with time. Shot calling, and the ability to focus attention at the right thing at the right time, for instance.

H.

When I was a kid and shot IPSC matches and steel matches with my dad, people would tell me "you're pretty good for your age". Then I spent years away and lost interest. It didn't seem hard when I was young because I was just having fun running with a gun. I didn't care what I was shooting, where I placed, just doing it was enough.

Now, it is harder because I care more about results. This is MY money, and MY time. To spend either and not get results is crazy, so when I practice, I guess it's more serious now. I guess it never was easy, but now I just am more serious.

Still is alot of fun though. My love for this sport doesn't seem to diminish with failure to reach my goals. I just think about what I need to do, and move forward. Just wish I could get ahold of components on a regular basis so that I wasn't just dryfiring all the time. :rolleyes:

JZ

• 4 weeks later...

Easy? Not a chance. It took me 3-4yrs before I got over the adrenalin rush you get right before you make ready. The gun handling was easy since I was raised with a gun in my hands. This game has more facets than a diamond. Now I am trying to teach my son, he has come a long way in the past 3 summers. (Makes me proud!) :D But he still has a long ways to go. He is a good athlete but still needs work.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Edited by snertley