Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying First Class

We've only flown three times and that was in the last two months and for business (we snuck Area 5 in there..:)), but we are ready ready to make flight reservations for Nationals and I wanted to get an idea of any experiences all of you have had with flying first class. We'll be flying with Delta because they are the only non-stop flights out of Atlanta.

Is it worth the money? I just don't want to be crammed against someone like I was in economy and I want to actually know that I have a butt when I get their. Hopefully the seats are better..:)

Thanks!

It depends on the plane. Domestic flights are usually older and smaller planes, so you're really only getting slightly upgraded service. IMHO you really only get your money's worth out of business and first class on transcontinental flights. All three classes cost way too much for what you get, relatively speaking of course.

Delta First Class (kind of an oxymoron :rolleyes: )

As Steve pointed out, it depends on the plane. I used to take many trips from LAX T/F ATL. The hot ticket was the 10:00 return flight to LAX. Delta used to route a 777 from Europe through ATL. If you flew first class (I and frequent upgrades) you got one of those nice sleeper seats. But, if you are in a single aisle a/c (757) you get rows with 2x2 instead of 3x3 in coach. Seats are bigger and you get free movies and food (maybe). But another benefit is you get to use Premium TSA lines and check-in if they exist at the airports you are using. I think that there are fewer baggage surcharges since they already have your extra money.

Since business travel is down, they might have better pricing.

Later,

Chuck

It depends. Check out Seatguru for the relevant info on the planes and seats. United has First on the RJs on some flights. That is definitely worth it. It is a hugh amount of room. Try for the exit row but keep in mind on most airlines it is reserved for premium frequent flyers.

Worth it if you doing it on upgrades (frequent flier miles; getting lucky and being bumped for first class; etc.) or if someone else is paying (no, USPSA does *NOT* pay for first/business class for ANY business travel). Not worth it if paying out of pocket (at least given the modest depth of my pockets).

Flew Delta first class to Hawaii. Kinda sucked. Service poor, no privacy. Some guy in coach, gave us a dirty stare the whole time.

Their approach is to give you so much free booze you wont notice.

I have flown 1st a few time.had to go to Bamff a few years ago. (11 years). Traveling with my 1 year old daughter and my wife. It was worth it. The steward took our daughter and carried her around the cabin while serving, introduced her to everyone as his assistant. She just beamed the whole time and we got to eat our dinners at the same time.

BUT fora real thrill, nothing beats a private Gulfstream. Flew home form the Caribbean on Leon Hess's jet once. Wow does not really cover it. Actually I spent about half the trip on the jump seat up in the cockpit. but the plan was awesome. 4 recliners like nothing I have in my home. As I said Wow!

So If you have a ew extra bucks or miles saved up go 1st. If you are paying and scraping to do it, DON'T there are more important things than the extra comfort on a three hour flight. Save it for a LONG flight.

Jim

Same experience here. I used to get free upgrades to 1st because I was flying all over the country for work. Definitely worth it then. Now that it is on my dime I just cowboy up and ride with the masses where I belong. At worse it is 4-5 hours that I plug in my IPod, lean against the window and try to catch a nap.

Same experience here. I used to get free upgrades to 1st because I was flying all over the country for work. Definitely worth it then. Now that it is on my dime I just cowboy up and ride with the masses where I belong. At worse it is 4-5 hours that I plug in my IPod, lean against the window and try to catch a nap.

Is the helmet uncomfortable when you lean against the window Rick? :roflol:

I have never had an opportunity to fly 1st class but on a longer flight I can see the value in it.

Edited by jasmap

I used to fly business class when I flew to europe several years ago, then our company cut it out. I had enough miles left over from all the travel to continue it until my travelling was cut back. It was a nice benifit. But the difference between coach and business class was a factor of3-3.5 times as much. Round trips would run about 3500-4800 depending on the time of year. First class was another 1500-200 on top of that.

Flying first class in the US has never been a big deal but it is nicer, little more room and better eats and the drinks are free. If the flight is less than 4hrs I wouldnt bother.

Flying private chartter though as Jim said,,.... is the shizzle. If you can afford to get a group of 4 or 5 together and charter a corporate jet, then go for it. Be prepared as it is still alot more than first class.

My Private flight was free. I was working as an outside contractor at the time and happened to be in the right place a the right time. Likely I'll never get to do that again. But it was nice. Sort of spoiled all other ways to fly.

Jim

As of 4 years ago I gave up flying coach and fly first class or I don't fly. I do drive vs. fly if I can get there in a day and the stay is more then a few days. I live in FL so I can make it to East Texas and DC in my range. I am claustrophobic and flying is bad enough but when crammed into coach I just can't take it and had fear of freaking out at 40K feet and getting myself on the news. I am 6 feet 3 210 pounds and don't care for people in general. If it cost me an extra $500 so be it I decided it is not negotiable so I don't even look at the price difference anymore it is what it is.

I have also found in general it is quieter in the front mostly older business people less chance of infants or kids kicking the back of your seat but no guarantee. I got to fly once with a yapping dog in the row behind me once. At least it was a one hour connector. The seats are better with actual room you never have issues with getting overhead storage. Like everything it comes down to what is it worth to you.

I had a first class seat for one work trip. I liked it. Seated first, great service from the crew, breakfast when I was darn hungry that morning, and so much leg room...

I have no idea how much extra the ticket was....

I have flown to Europe (Atlanta to Paris, 9hrs over and 10hrs back) in coach. It sucked, however I still could not make myself pay the difference in price (I could use the money for guns or ammo and get more value out of it). While on such a long flight, just get up and walk around the cabin to keep your butt and legs from going numb. Those big seats looked comfortable, but it wasn't worth it to me.

Hurley

Decided to go for economy. I was looking at the price per person :surprise: for first class, not the total. Hell I could buy a backup Trubor for that...guess I better hit the treadmill and slim down some! Now I just need to decide between Airtran and Delta.

Any input or is economy seating economy seating? Ive heard Airtran has a newer fleet.

What I have been doing is not picking a seat (costs more on Airtran). When I get there I very sugary and politely ask if anything in the emergency seating row is available, and volunteer to sit there.....More leg room, no seats in front of you..... ;) Godsend on trips to LA from ATL.......

Dunno if it will work on other carriers, but it did twice now..... :ph34r:

DougC

The farther to the front that you can sit (even in coach), the quieter it will be. I sat in the fourth row from the back comming back from Germany and listened to the roar of four engines for 10 hrs. It is cool on takeoff, but gets old after you quit feeling the thrust.

I agree with Doug Carden, try to get the emergency seats or the front row of coach, there is more room there.

Hurley

I fly every other week for work and normally on Delta, but usually only use First Class when I travel abroad because of the cost (I do usually get bumped up to 1st domestically). If money wasn't an issue I would be "flying first class, up in the sky".

I agree with Doug Carden, try to get the emergency seats or the front row of coach, there is more room there.

Hurley

It depends. The bulkhead always has more knee room but usually less legroom to stretch out, although there are cutouts on some places. The tray tables are in the arm rest so the seats are a little narrower.

Hurley

It depends. The bulkhead always has more knee room but usually less legroom to stretch out, although there are cutouts on some places. The tray tables are in the arm rest so the seats are a little narrower.

And you probably need to stretch your legs after a night involving alcohol, Sharpies, your calves, and shooting the next day. Right Mark?

My first flight was cross country on a 4 engine prop plane in the 50's that I barely recall. Since then I have flown more than I care to recall and with each passing year the seat area seemed to decrease and my discomfort increased. I never flew as much as the corporate frequent flyers so I never got the seat upgrades but I have been able to fly first class a few times thanks to a friend in the business. So, here is what I can tell you.

First class is roomier than any other seats in the plane. The fact that the service is also better is a plus as well. But first class can be anywhere from 3 to 5 times the price and for that kind of money, I'll take the cramped coach seats and bring my own snacks, thank you.

Most airlines (including Delta last time I flew with them) now unofficially divide the coach into two sections: uncomfortable and very uncomfortable. The former are seats to the front of the plane that have an inch or two more legroom and include the bulkhead and emergency seats. You cannot pre-book these seats unless you are a frequent flyer (or could not in the past). The absolute worst seats in the plane are the last row because they don't go back so you may have to fly with some 280 lb gorilla in the seat in front of you at full recline - basically his head in your lap.

Book as far in advance as you can and try and find the best seats you can (+1 for seat guru). I used to always get an aisle seat but the last few years have chosen window because that guarantees me that at least one side of my body won't be assaulted by something.

Now I hate to mention this last thing, but arrive at the gate early and as soon as they open the counter there, hobble up to the counter and beg and plead (while mumbling about chronic back pain) for them to give you a better seat. Sometimes it works but they won't give you an empty emergency row seat that way. To get one of those, you need to be tall and very polite and explain that you just did a 100 mile bike trip that morning and your legs will cramp up if you don't have any leg room. IOW - you won't get a better seat unless you ask.

We got bumped into First Class flying back from Honduras. I claim it was my 1st place trophy I stashed with the guns (very handy for getting out of foreign countries with guns; maybe even consider bringing a trophy if you aren't likely to win one), but the other guys claim it was their sparkling wits and charming gringo personalities ;) Anyway, that was on a 737 or something.. nice but not real nice. Where first class and business class are nice is on the big planes.

Flew to Europe in Business a few times... that's very nice on someone elses' dime with the full-recline seats for sleeping, but if you work the system you can get ahead a little even paying coach tickets-- Seatguru is your friend-- there are a few pairs (versus sets of 3) of seats at the back of a 747 with extra foot and luggage room where the tail comes in. We snagged a pair of those on the way to/from Bali and France, but the best score was the China Airlines from Taipei to Bali-- they don't have a 'business class' on that flight, but they use one of the big Trans-Pacific airplanes; so if you reserve your seats right, you get to be in the huge sleeper-seats for a coach ticket.