Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying First Class

I agree with Doug Carden, try to get the emergency seats or the front row of coach, there is more room there.

Hurley

It depends. The bulkhead always has more knee room but usually less legroom to stretch out, although there are cutouts on some places. The tray tables are in the arm rest so the seats are a little narrower.

And you probably need to stretch your legs after a night involving alcohol, Sharpies, your calves, and shooting the next day. Right Mark?

Actually, it was only one calf and the Monday after that match I did fly to Hawaii and choose to not sit at the bulkhead so I would have some room to stretch out.

First Class is great to sit in, no matter what the service. It usually is better, although in recent years, it has declined. Carry candy for the gate agents (rememberm they make very little money, deal with mostly unhappy people, and are the gate keepers). Also, be respectful of the flight attendants. The employees are just people and most will respond VERY nicely to someone being polite to them.

I fly for a major airline out of Denver and our First Class seats are cheaper at check in, but that always depends upon availability. Food is usually served, drinks are free, the passengers around you are less likely to talk your ear off the entire flight, and the best part is the extra room. Given your size description, if the extra cost fits into your budget, go for it.

Jason

I was booked on a aisle seat on the last row of a 727 one time. Worked by way back to find someone already in it. Yes, we both had the same day, flight, and seat number. They decided for some reason it really was my seat, so they apologized to me and moved the other guy out of my seat AND PUT HIM IN FIRST CLASS!!!!!! so that I could experience the full stereo effect of engines to either side :angry2:

Edited by wgnoyes

I used to have to bounce back and forth between the east and west coasts several times a year. I flew 1st class whenever I could just for the bigger seat, better leg room and free booze. This is where I developed my Bailey's and coffee habit on airplanes. I've also found that in general the folks flying business or 1st class are friendlier and more well...errr...groomed.

I don't fly for work anymore...thankfully. That got old reallll fast.

It's a lousy way to live, isn't it? I used to get up early monday morning, goto the airport, get on a plane to Kansas City, get my rental car and drive north to St. Joseph, MO and still work 4 hours at the client site that day. Then work 10 to 11 hours a day Tues-Thur and 4 hours friday because they damned wanted 40 hours a week, leave about 1 p.m. friday on a high-speed scream back down to KC, get on a plane back to ATL, come home and look around and remember why I'm paying a mortgage, then start the whole thing up again the next monday morning. 4 months of that, hotterenhell in mid-August, freezing your butt off in mid-December. (But you know what? I'd do it again to get back into MVS. Oh well.)

Edited by wgnoyes

Many, many moons ago I did the real road warrior thing (early 80's) before they did all the frequent flier programs and 1st class upgrades were very rare. THAT got seriously old very, very fast. I was single and pretty much care free so it was kind of fun and I got to see some new parts of the country.

Wouldn't do that again on a bet. I had a chance about 7 years ago to go back to doing that (travel 10 of every 30 days which we all know would have quickly become 30 out of every 30) at not quite 2.5x my salary at the time. Then realized I would quickly become single again and I'd lose most everything that was important. Hard to walk away from that kind of money but I have no regrets.

I just finished 22 hours of flying and airports coming back from New Delhi. I was in Business/First Class for the two 9 hour segments from New Delhi to Paris and then Paris to Atlanta. It's very nice for that. Nearly 20,000 miles of air travl in one week can wear a person down.

I have been a Delta Platinum level flier for the last decade. I receive complimentary upgrades for about 90% of my flights. I wouldn't pay anything extra for any flight under three hours but more than that and it becomes very nice. For an Atlanta to Vegas flight, which I've made many times, the extra cost may be more than the value received but that is really up to the individual.

Edited by XD Niner