Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Squib Rod

Sarge

After watching a 1/4 inch brass rod get bent up at the range this past weekend I have been thinking of a better squib rod size. I found a local machine shop that will make me a brass one to my exact dimensions. They will even mic the barrel for me. My thoughts are to have one turned to just smoothly slide into my 9mm without a bunch of slop. Cost will only be about $15. Is there a reason this won't work? Am I missing anything? I am also going to keep the rod as short as possible to keep it from flexing as well. Does 6 inches sound about right or would that be cutting it too close for a 5 inch barrel?

Thanks for any advice.

Sounds about right. Have them screw a ball on one end of the rod so you can give it a push with your hand to aid in removing brass stuck in the chamber and have them chamfer the business end a bit.

Make up several in 9mm and .40 and go into business. I'd buy one.

I made mine similiar to what you have planned. I used a heavy solid brass rounded drawer knob for a handle, drilled the threads out of it slightly larger than the diameter of the rod and silver soldered it on. Works great.

Slightly rounded/bevelled end, so it doesn't scratch the bore - and maybe a golf ball on one end as a handle. I've got a lathe at home and I smell a new project for myself ;)

~Mitch

McMaster has brass rod in every 1/32" - 5/16" is 0.3125" (36" bar is part number 9105K213). Could just take that as is, hack it into 6 pices, bevel the edge and voila!

Edited by UW Mitch

I got mine from here http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?i...&top_cat=79

Get the closest diameter smaller than your barrel. It is inexpensive, and now I have one in each shooting bag for each caliber a shoot. I just use the rod, no knobs - length is 8 inches.

Thanks for the tip but why? Closest to 9mm is .3125. That is 5/16 rod that can be found locally for less and without shipping.

Get the closest diameter smaller than your barrel. It is inexpensive, and now I have one in each shooting bag for each caliber a shoot. I just use the rod, no knobs - length is 8 inches.

Thanks for the tip but why? Closest to 9mm is .3125. That is 5/16 rod that can be found locally for less and without shipping.

And do you really need anything more than the one rod for pistols? We're talking about something that should work for what is essentially bore sizes for 9, 10 and 11 mm, so what I carry is just what I picked up for the nine (my bag is heavy enough as it is...) :unsure:

I use a 5/16 piece of brass rod and 3/4 piece of brass rod. The 5/16 is 8" long (for 6" revo) and the 3/4 brass is 4 inches long.

The 3/4 piece has a 5/16 hole drilled partway through in the middle with the 5/16 piece Loctited in the hole so it makes a T shape.

It looks and works like a hammer. To use, put the 5/16 part in the barrel, and hold the 3/4 T handle at the top, ram the bullet out.

I haven't used it much, but loan it out a lot. It works very well and won't damage the bore at all. I turned grooves every inch

on the 5/16 handle part and steel stamped numbers to see about where the bullet was and when I was approaching the end

of the barrel.

Hello: I made one from a piece of carbon fiber rod and made 2 aluminum ends that are bonded to the rod. One end for 45 and the other for 9mm. It is 8" long. It has worked perfectly on some 45 loads that I got from another shooter to try :surprise: Thanks, Eric

The problem with the aluminum ends is that when they oxidize over time, they turn into aluminum oxide, the same stuff they make sandpaper out of! Could damage a barrel if they sit in a shooting bag for a while and get old.

Just my $.02

Alan~^~

Hey Top - I'd make them probably .325-.340 in diameter and about 6.5" long. Having a ball/handle/something that can be hammered is a good idea too.

Rich

I talked to them today. it looks like the plan is to use 3/4 stock and leave about 2 or 3 inches 3/4 for a handle then take the rest down to the .345 range and go from there. 7" in length.

Is there really such a need for a squib rod that you have to buy / build one? Or are you all just unleashing the boyscout in you? (being prepared) I've been shooting competition for 5 years, and reloading for almost 4 of those years .... and have never (knock on wood) had a squib. :unsure:

Of course you guys know now that having said that I will now have squibs everyday and twice on Sunday! :P:roflol:

Edited by Chris Keen

Is there really such a need for a squib rod that you have to buy / build one? Or are you all just unleashing the boyscout in you? (being prepared) I've been shooting competition for 5 years, and reloading for almost 4 of those years .... and have never (knock on wood) had a squib. :unsure:

Of course you guys know now that having said that I will now have squibs everyday and twice on Sunday! :P:roflol:

I have never needed one and I also hope I never will. But I have been to two events where somebody needed one and had a hard time finding one. I guess I would hate to have to pack up and go home if I ever did manage to need one. I would say being prepared fits to a tee in my case.

Here is my squib rod. Its solid brass. The rod is .330 and 6 1/2" long. The handle is 1" diameter and about 2" long. I made a few of these on my home lathe. They work great and look like a they cost a fortune.

Hey....what happened to the picture? Having trouble posting the photograph...

Edited by PJ BAD

Made mine from an aluminum arrow shaft. Turned an aluminum button to close the shaft on the business end and a cap for the end you hit. A little red Loctite and it's ready to go. It's light to carry and poses no danger to the barrel bore in use.

Not here. The only game in town is either Home Depot or Lowe's - very few options.

And do you really need anything more than the one rod for pistols? We're talking about something that should work for what is essentially bore sizes for 9, 10 and 11 mm, so what I carry is just what I picked up for the nine (my bag is heavy enough as it is...) :unsure:

I carry 2 rods, one for 40 cal and another for 9mm. Why? It is easier to remove a squib with a heavier rod. Anyway, the range is 20 yards from the parking lot and shooting bag weight is not an issue for me. Could it be accomplished with just one rod? Absolutely yes.

• 1 year later...

note: Merged threads. - Admin.

I've been using dowell rod from lowes, but have only needed it a couple times. However, being the anal retentive type I'd like to create something more durable, aesthetic, and functional. This is what I'm thinking so far....

.625" brass rod. 12" OAL. 7" turned to .4450" O.D. with O ring groove @ square shoulder to protect muzzle or chamber. .500" section left unturned. Then remainder turned to .400. End drilled and tapped 3/8x24.

4" long 1" O.D. piece of 4130 drilled and reamed to .401" I.D. Knurled O.D. black oxide coated.

1" O.D. 3/8" I.D. fender washer and a 3/8x24 SHCS to cap it all off.

Basically, a mini slide hammer.....

Am I missing anything? Should I profile the front end for different bullet shapes? Am I NUTS putting this much into a stinkin' range rod? LOL

Ken

Edited by Flexmoney