Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Squib Rod

Sarge

Thanks for the direction Sarge :cheers: I'm definately overbuilding... :ph34r: But at least my principle is sound! :D I'll crank one out and post pics, prob'ly be the weekend before I get to make "personal" chips... but oh well :) I now have a plan that has to be executed.

Ken

Edited by m134b

Like Sarge, I had a machinist (there are a lot of them with free time in Michigan right now <_< ) turn me a 8" brass rod. I've used it twice on other peoples guns to remove suibs. I prefer to just shoot my squibs out of the barrel. It is much faster. :roflol:

I just keep both a 5/16 & 7/16 brass rod in my bag. I decided to do this after I had to use a cleaning rod one day to clear another shooters gun. I just bought a 2' length of each and cut them to length and handed them out to a couple of other SO's in my club.

I've been using dowell rod from lowes, but have only needed it a couple times. However, being the anal retentive type I'd like to create something more durable, aesthetic, and functional. This is what I'm thinking so far....

.625" brass rod. 12" OAL. 7" turned to .4450" O.D. with O ring groove @ square shoulder to protect muzzle or chamber. .500" section left unturned. Then remainder turned to .400. End drilled and tapped 3/8x24.

4" long 1" O.D. piece of 4130 drilled and reamed to .401" I.D. Knurled O.D. black oxide coated.

1" O.D. 3/8" I.D. fender washer and a 3/8x24 SHCS to cap it all off.

Basically, a mini slide hammer.....

Am I missing anything? Should I profile the front end for different bullet shapes? Am I NUTS putting this much into a stinkin' range rod? LOL

Ken

I made one like that, except I used a washer made of Delrin instead of the o-ring. It's in my box of junk parts. Can't get enough speed for the slide hammer in that short a distance. Turned my attention to building a mini-hammer :D

I've been using dowell rod from lowes, but have only needed it a couple times. However, being the anal retentive type I'd like to create something more durable, aesthetic, and functional. This is what I'm thinking so far....

.625" brass rod. 12" OAL. 7" turned to .4450" O.D. with O ring groove @ square shoulder to protect muzzle or chamber. .500" section left unturned. Then remainder turned to .400. End drilled and tapped 3/8x24.

4" long 1" O.D. piece of 4130 drilled and reamed to .401" I.D. Knurled O.D. black oxide coated.

1" O.D. 3/8" I.D. fender washer and a 3/8x24 SHCS to cap it all off.

Basically, a mini slide hammer.....

Am I missing anything? Should I profile the front end for different bullet shapes? Am I NUTS putting this much into a stinkin' range rod? LOL

Ken

If you will go this far for a range rod tell us more about your gun. Should be quite a story.:roflol:

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

I just use a 8-9" section of brass rod, 1/4" (I think) - fits all pistols used at a match, and if I lend it to someone, and I lose it, no big deal.

Costs about $0.50 or less.

Same here. I bought a long section and cut it into 9" rods. I keep one on my bench, one in my toolbox, and two in my bag. Haven't had a squib since I started carrying squib rods! I have loaned them to a couple of other shooters at the range, and always offer to just let them keep the rod. Seems like squibs run in packs, so when you have one, you're liable to find two or three before you get squib free again.

Edited by bbbean

You're right KMCA.... slide needs to be heavier, and have a little more travel... <----- gets evil grin I DO have access to machinable tungsten..... Belive they have some 1 3/8" O.D. solid drops. I'll have to see if I can get one :devil::ph34r:

I figure upping the travel to 2" should do the trick for ANY stubborn bullet with THAT much mass persuading it!

Then again....... I can only imagine the tirade of colorful language the first time I pinch myself with the thing!

Whatmeworry: My pistol was a TRUE labor of love... If you call kicking, screaming, and pleading at your computer and mill to make them cooperate.... But, that's a discussion for another thread :D

Ken

You're right KMCA.... slide needs to be heavier, and have a little more travel... <----- gets evil grin I DO have access to machinable tungsten..... Belive they have some 1 3/8" O.D. solid drops. I'll have to see if I can get one :devil::ph34r:

I figure upping the travel to 2" should do the trick for ANY stubborn bullet with THAT much mass persuading it!

Then again....... I can only imagine the tirade of colorful language the first time I pinch myself with the thing!

Whatmeworry: My pistol was a TRUE labor of love... If you call kicking, screaming, and pleading at your computer and mill to make them cooperate.... But, that's a discussion for another thread :D

Ken

I used a piece of 1" o.d. x 2" piece of stainless for the hammer part with about 3 inches of travel...wasn't enough for shells with a partial charge. For shells with no powder, you could just push out bullet without the hammer. You might want to re-think it...I've got a really cute stainless steel hammer with a nice walnut handle now :)

Fun thread, now I am wondering if I over did mine. I ran into a similar situation with the local supplies not really being available. What I have done is picked up a piece of 5/16" brass tubing, 1/4" steel rod, and a 5/16" ferrule threaded for a Black powder cleaning jag.

This allows me to use different BP Cleaning Jags as heads that are close to bore size. I came up with this idea after reading about where a shooter had gotten a live round stuck in the chamber backwards. Note that the cleaning jags have a concave face on them.