Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger's transition to the dark side is complete!

Carlos

Ruger just announced the introduction of this:

455.jpg

Here are some specs, in addition to the (IMHO) all important COLD HAMMER FORGED barrel:

Adding to the rugged reliability of the SR-556 is the four-position, chrome-plated gas regulator. The regulator and piston driven system puts the operator in control, allowing the shooter to tune the rifle to specific ammunition conditions, which in turn minimizes recoil and maximizes reliability and long-term endurance. The gas system may be closed completely for manual operation during training or when using a suppressor.

The compact 16-1/8" chrome-lined barrel is cold hammer-forged from Mil-Spec 41V45 steel, providing outstanding accuracy potential and longevity. These barrels are made to exacting tolerances in-house at Ruger, which offers some of the best barrels available anywhere, at any price.

When it comes to high-quality accessories, Ruger didn't cut any corners. ...More

The SR-556 comes standard with Troy Industries Folding BattleSights™ - a $260 value. The windage adjustable rear sight and elevation adjustable front sight co-witness with Mil-Spec optics and can be easily removed to make room for high-power scopes. The sights can be folded down with the push of a button, or quickly flipped up with your thumbs. The robust sights are constructed of aircraft grade aluminum with stainless steel hardware and feature .5 MOA positive click adjustments and instantly convertible short and long range apertures.

The following accessories also come standard with the SR-556:

**Troy Industries Quad Rail Handguard - Made especially for Ruger, this one-piece, ten-inch quad rail handguard is pinned to the upper receiver and provides a rigid mount for the piston driven transfer rod.

** 6-Position Telescoping M4-Style Buttstock - This collapsible stock allows the length of pull to be adjusted from 10.25" to 13.50". It also house a mil-spec buffer and spring and includes a rear sling swivel.

** Hogue® Monogrip® Pistol Grip - Hogue's industry-leading black, rubber grip with finger grooves provides comfort when carrying and shooting.

** Three MAGPUL PMAG™ 30-Round Magazines - PMAG magazines feature a pop-off storage/dust cover that allows for long-term storage, and utilizes a stainless steel spring for corrosion resistance, and an anti-tilt, self-lubricating follower.

** Three Troy Industries Rail Covers - Rail covers provide a comfortable, ergonomic hold on the unused portions of the handguard's Picatinny rails.

Here is the best part: it comes with THREE Magpul 30 round magazines.

And it is all US-made.

In honor of Ruger's evolution since Bill passed on, I am modifying my tag line here in BE.com; Bill's actions cannot be explained nor defended, but its clear Ruger has changed (for the better).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good news. I will like to see one in person and up close.

As to the issues about recalls with Ruger, I for one have not always liked some of the decisions Bill Ruger made, but I have always appreciated the way the company was pro-active in their approach to letting their customers know there was an issue, and taking care of it no matter how big or small. All manufacturers have issues, its the ones who deny or ignore problems that bother me.

I got to shoot this AR a few weeks ago. NICE rifle.

What happens when you blast 2 30 rounds mags out'a a regular AR....the bolt gets hot...damn hot. Not this one. The gas system is in the front by the gas block. We run 60 rounds throught real quick and then took the bolt carrier out....not hot at all. You touch it with your bare hands. No crap getting put in the feeding system from the gas system cause the all the gas system is in the front. 4 position easy to adjust gas system, one of the position is off for manual action or suppressor opperation, and a long hand rail you can mount just about anything on.

The upper will bolt onto your regular AR lower. That is when they offer just the upper. It will be while before that happens though.

edit cause I can't spel.

Edited by Caspian_45

MSRP of 2K is pretty ugly. Even if street price turns out to be $1500 they have a lot of competition. If they could keep the thing right at 1K or a little less I'd be pretty tempted. I like the Ruger stuff I own. Although they make a few things I wouldn't buy.

MSRP sounds a little high for Ruger, but then again an AR from Ruger doesn't sound like Ruger. I think it's great that "Mainstream" companies like Ruger and Remington are releasing ARs. ARs are normal to most of us but I think seeing the old company names on an AR help normalize the guns for a lot of other people. Remember folks like Zumbo are out there. They aren't bad, just uninformed and they stick to what they know, like Rugers and Remingtons. You probably will not see one of these in my safe, but I say "Bring on more ARs!!!!!"

The price seems high but what gas piston AR's aren't expensive? It it was a regular gas system AR that would be a high price.

Neal in AZ

You are 100% correct; the new Ruger is NOT over-priced for ars with 1) piston system and 2) rail system. Plus, it has a HAMMER FORGED barrel like the HK 416. HK won't sell you a 416. Nor will they warranty one. If you can find one from a private seller, it will set you back $3000 to $4500 for the upper alone!

Here is an example of a ar with 1) piston and 2) rail system: MSRP: $1995, only 1 magazine and NO hammer forged barel: CQBPS16_large.jpg

http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=...2095b69df9755eb

Here is Colt's $2000 model 6940 - which is very difficult to find & costs up to $2500 - WITHOUT a piston system at all:

2.jpg

Sure - you can still find lots of models WITHOUT a piston and WITHOUT a railed handguard for under $1000. If those features don't appeal to you, then you should not pay for them. But please understand that these features are desirable to many, are expensive, & thus, the Ruger is NOT over-priced.

I was comparing it price-wise to the Sig 556. It may be more inline than I thought. Pre-hysteria prices were about 1200 and that is what I was thinking about. For that you didn't get good quality sights or a good quality quad rail (if you're into that) either.

It'd be nice if they'd put a folder on it...

For all the recall talk, none of the stuff I have from them has ever been recalled, and FWIW they do have excellent customer service, they will take care of you.

I'd think pretty hard about this but I refuse to buy anything EBR-ish while I feel like prices are being played with by the unscrupulous.

Carlos, can you tell me why you are so excited about the hammer forged barrel? Do you think it is unique to Ruger rfiles? What advantages does it offer over any other chrome lined barrel or button/cut rifled barrel (other than longevity on the last 2 which has nothing to do with the hammer forging).

I also think $2k is a little crazy. You can have a complete rifle built with custom machined upper and lower, not cast parts, that is guaranteed to shoot .5MOA or less for that kind of money. I think I'll pass.

I suppose it's good to have a major manufacturer selling AR's. I for one am in the group that thinks that piston AR's are way over rated. Carried an M-4 for a while and it never jammed. I have had Magpul mags jam with bigger bullets.

Call me simple, but a well built AR (easily had for under $1200) with normal 30's (or 30 rounders from Brownell's & Fusil) work just fine.

Now...let's see if they can get around to building a good pistol.

Rich

What happens when you blast 2 30 rounds mags out'a a regular AR....the bolt gets hot...damn hot. Not this one. The gas system is in the front by the gas block. We run 60 rounds throught real quick and then took the bolt carrier out....not hot at all. You touch it with your bare hands. No crap getting put in the feeding system from the gas system cause the all the gas system is in the front.

Tony,

I was watching (if I recall correctly) a youtube video where TJ was showing off Para's new AR. Sounds like a similar setup ?

I was wondering if that made the reciprocating mass heavier? And, if so...how much that might change the shootability?

(I may not understand the design correctly...)

What happens when you blast 2 30 rounds mags out'a a regular AR....the bolt gets hot...damn hot. Not this one. The gas system is in the front by the gas block. We run 60 rounds throught real quick and then took the bolt carrier out....not hot at all. You touch it with your bare hands. No crap getting put in the feeding system from the gas system cause the all the gas system is in the front.

Tony,

I was watching (if I recall correctly) a youtube video where TJ was showing off Para's new AR. Sounds like a similar setup ?

I was wondering if that made the reciprocating mass heavier? And, if so...how much that might change the shootability?

(I may not understand the design correctly...)

The para AR looks like the old ZM weapon systems / YHM upper. IIRC it was a short op-rod kind of setup with what looked like a really long gas key on the bolt which was a really short op-rod. It wasn't a gas piston setup to the best of my recollection.

Flex. I handled and shot the Para AR. It is the ZM design. Start a different thread for that AR. ;)

I can't really tell any more than that. The ZM system has been around for years. A few minor changes for the PARA is all. IIRC

Rich. The gas piston may not be the greatest thing to hit the AR market, but they are a step towards something better/different. I have always felt we "As in USPSA type competion/multi-gun/outlaw matches" have been the testing grounds for the small arms that LE and military carry today. Your M-4 is proof of that. Glock, S&W, Springfield Armory, and all the AR makers have all stepped their gun R&D in the last 20 years partly because of our sport.

bofe954. If you want a folder get the Para. The Ruger uses any standard small pin lower.

I liked both AR's. I know Todd and everyone at the range put well over 1000 rounds through his AR's, no stoppages at all. But he ran them really wet. And that caused a lot of smoke at the ejection port. The Ruger's had right at 1000 ran through them, no stopages either. We run them fairly dry. They handled much the same. Pick up the new gun rags and read all about both AR's . They are both really nice systems.

edit for spelling.

Edited by Caspian_45

Doing the Cooley steel wool treatment helps everything run right. ;)

I'm not saying that pistons don't have a place. We played with some of the WWPS guys' HK 416's in Afghanistan. From the little guys 11.5" to the longer ones. Not bad, but, to me, I was getting more recoil and muzzle rise with them. Not totally bad though. I'm looking at getting another piston upper just to play with and beat on before totally writing it off (sold a previous one).

Rich

ETA: Ruger's rifle looks pretty sweet. I'd be curious if they're actually building it or farming it out.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Sure thing. My belief is: longevity. Here is an article on the Ruger AR barrel years before Ruger created it (see inside for details)

http://technology.calumet.purdue.edu/met/h...elsonAR-15s.pdf

Here is an article showing the process (which explains why so few US companies use it: not enough start up dough)

http://technology.calumet.purdue.edu/met/h...%20No_%207).htm

There are more articles at that site on hammer forging. Other articles I have lost track of over time.

My own impression is that forged barrels are incredibly tough and need little break in. As far as the HK forged barrels, they used to do a demo with their LEO/mil belt fed HK21 where they'd run a ridiculously long continuous belt through it without stoppages and not destroying the barrel. Sure, steel has a lot to do with it too, but I think the process is certainly sound - and probably makes for a longer-lasting barrel (though I've not shot out any of mine yet). At any rate, I think Ruger's new offering could surprise some folks.

As to cost MSRP cost: true - the MSRP cost is approaching a "built-for-uspsa" JP rifle - and the features of the new Ruger are not really features that our sport needs (as in "not required to win competitions").

Nevertheless, if you compare apples to apples by comparing the Ruger to other piston-driven, railed handguard ARs, I think it will stack up and be priced competitively. And the price at your local store bight be a whole lot less than MSRP.

I also view this as good news because so many shops carry Ruger rifles; these new ARs might just expand the field of AR owners quite a bit and that is a win-win situation for all.

Carlos, can you tell me why you are so excited about the hammer forged barrel? Do you think it is unique to Ruger rfiles? What advantages does it offer over any other chrome lined barrel or button/cut rifled barrel (other than longevity on the last 2 which has nothing to do with the hammer forging).

I also think $2k is a little crazy. You can have a complete rifle built with custom machined upper and lower, not cast parts, that is guaranteed to shoot .5MOA or less for that kind of money. I think I'll pass.

Edited by Carlos