Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I heard of a great way to dry out a pair of shoes when you only have one pair and are away at a match. If the shoes are muddy, wash them off in the bathtub, then stuff them full of toilet paper. Change the paper several times if possible before you go to bed. In the AM, the shoes will be dry. I'm told not to use paper towels, just toilet paper pulled off the roll and stuffed into the shoe/boot completely. I'll try it next time I travel with only one pair of shooting shoes.

Ron J.

Why not try it at home before you go to any match. If it works, great! If it doesn't you have time to look for a plan B instead of waking up in a hotel with shoes that are still wet.

CYa,

Pat

If you have at least 8 hrs, try newspaper. This is what we used in the Army. (Statoned at Schofield Barracks. In the winter, it rains regularly!) It would dry out a pair of j-boots in about 8hrs.

It's easier to remove than tp also. Don't know if it is better, just that it works.\\JZ

Those are some great tips everybody, but what the original poster is talking about is while staying in a hotel at a major match. I've never had access to a box fan, and although you might be able to scrounge up a newspaper somewhere ..... every room will have a decent supply of sandpaper (toilet paper) in the bathroom.

I dont know if this would work, but it's worth a shot. I like Pats idea of trying this at home before actually needing to do it at a hotel.

Wash them off in the sink and work them over with the hairdryer (assuming the bathroom has one)

You can always be pro-active and borrow one from your wife/gf, but it's probably a good idea to ask before taking it ;)

Edited by gose

Wash them off in the sink and work them over with the hairdryer (assuming the bathroom has one)

You can always be pro-active and borrow one from your wife/gf, but it's probably a good idea to ask before taking it ;)

that's a good idea, since a lot of hotel have a hair dryer in the room already.

lynn

If you have at least 8 hrs, try newspaper. This is what we used in the Army. (Statoned at Schofield Barracks. In the winter, it rains regularly!) It would dry out a pair of j-boots in about 8hrs.

It's easier to remove than tp also. Don't know if it is better, just that it works.\\JZ

+1

Did this at tulsa last year, changed the newsprint out maybe 5 times and it was just about bone dry.

Tried the hairdryer, took forever and didn't dry out nearly as well as newspaper.

Peet makes a portable shoe dryer. My local Red Wing shoe store sells one.

I swear by shoe dryers. They are great for a lot of things.

http://www.eders.com/products/peet-portable-shoe-dryer.html

is the product, I do not know the vendor though.

Ted

Ted, that's a pretty cool device. It looks like it will fit into any suitcase.

Ron

I stuck mine in the microwave. :goof: I wear cheap Rawlings soccer cleats with no metal eyelets. Nice and toasty.

Don't use the Micro in room 112 at the Payson, AZ Best Western.

Jim

I sprayed my new shoes down with tent sealant. Not Scotchguard. That stuff don't work for crap. I use the Silicone tent or tarp sealant. Keeps the water off the shooes and quick dunks don't soak in at all. Prolonged dunks like standing in one spot will soak them down but hitting a puddle won't soak you down and it lasts for a long time.

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofin...ater-guard.html

After the match if that didn't work too well or it was a mudpit like 2009DTC I use the toilet paper method.

At Tulsa I just soaked them in the tub until all the muck and manure was cleaned off. Then I just wedged the hair dryer into each shoe with the temperature and fan on medium. It took 15-20 minutes per shoe at most. This appraoch worked like a charm for the three consecutive days I needed it.

Peet makes a portable shoe dryer. My local Red Wing shoe store sells one.

I swear by shoe dryers. They are great for a lot of things.

http://www.eders.com/products/peet-portable-shoe-dryer.html

is the product, I do not know the vendor though.

Ted

Ted, that's a pretty cool device. It looks like it will fit into any suitcase.

Ron

They are. I bought mine at the Red Wing store. I use them all the time for when my boots get wet at work, for wet range shoes, etc. Also helps with longevity of the leather.

The full size models will do waders, boxing gloves, and other things that need airing. It is also a pretty low temperature that will not hurt goretex like a high temp source of heat may.

Not only does it dry shoes that got wet, but it cuts down on mold and fungus development in the boots. A plus if you work a match for several days in the same pair of boots, even if they don't get wet.

I alternate work boots and put them in the dryer in the downtime. It makes for happy feet.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

At Tulsa I just soaked them in the tub until all the muck and manure was cleaned off. Then I just wedged the hair dryer into each shoe with the temperature and fan on medium. It took 15-20 minutes per shoe at most. This appraoch worked like a charm for the three consecutive days I needed it.

Did that too, 'cept the hair dryer kept overheating and cutting out.

At least I didn't blow fuses... :rolleyes: