Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Break Free CLP?

Xfactor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any experience with Break Free CLP? I am considering picking up a bunch of the pre-soaked wipes to use for general cleaning of my 2011...

I recently picked up an American Gunsmithing Institute video - 1911 armorer's course - and the instructor (Bob Dunlap) recommended Break Free CLP above all others. In terms of lubricating the critical moving parts, I've already settled on my own blend of products (Mobil 1 synthetic mixed with some Lucas transmission lube), but for cleaning, my current process is disassembling the gun and using Cabela's gun oil-soaked wipes to wipe clean all the parts. But after hearing Bob Dunlap sing the praises of Break Free CLP, I was thinking of trying some of those pre-soaked wipes instead.

Your lube sounds perfect. I would stay as far away from CLP as possible. Some people like it, but my personal experience as the NCOIC of a Corrosion Control work center in the Marines, CLP is awful. In an airtight environment, like on the threads of screws, the chlorinated cleaners in CLP become hydrochloric acid! As far as the "lubricating" properties, the teflon particles settle to the bottom of the container, hence the recommendation of shaking well before using.

As far as a cleaning solution, I boresnake the barrels and use q-tips and elbow grease.

• 4 months later...

CLP stinks (literally & figuratively) & is far eclipsed by other products. It gets sluggish in the cold, washes out in the heat & isnt worth a darn for cleaning. At t his point, who cares if it protects. (I have been to Afghanistan and all that jazz.) I'd rather use puss discharged from an old wound than CLP.

Since this is the BENOS Forum I will say that I snagged some slide glide at Area 8 and I am trying it.

CLP - I only use it for the firing pin, extractor, trigger bow and mag release. This is mainly because it is a aersol with a tube. It works pretty good on my CasePro and some parts on the Hornady Loader.

All real moving parts of the gun get either greased (slide glide) or a few drops of Brownells oil, got lots free at Major Matches.

Cleaning the gun is CR Break Cleaner, this washes the dirt grit and ash out of the gun. CR seems to be less offensive to human skin, except for married people when it gets under the wedding band.

Cleaning the bore is JB Bore Paste and Chore Boy for Moly coated bullets or hops #9 with copper jacket bullets.

BENOS thanks for your sponsorship of Area 8, I left the book for another shooter since I already have one I don't get.

I have the wipes you are talking about. I use them when I travel and inbetween days of shooting at 3 gun matches. The break-free wipes stink (aroma) but they do clean ok as a quick wipe method. I then lube the guns with whatever I am using for each gun....slide glide, FP10, Mil-Tech.

I will not buy them again since they smell horrible. I think I will go with some hoppes soaked wipes in a plastic bag.

Randy

CLP does have its place. I did my own testing and found it to be a superior protector against rust. take jars full of water, steel nail, dip the nail in clp and drop the nail in the water, moniter over a few days and try several other types of oil in the other jars and CLP was the last one to show any rust after a few days. You guys are right, it sucks for a lubricant and water cleans about as well as CLP. I still buy it and put it on my guns for rust prevention. I use other oils and grease for lubrication.

Edited by Smokecloud

I do use Break Free for lube and protection on my guns. I was given several bottles and it does the job on my single stacks. I do not use it for cleaning. I use Ed's Red and it seems to do a better job than anything I can buy. Also a little JB bore paste in my rifles from time to time.

I cannot personally vouch for it on anything but a Glock (which has minimal cleaning and lube requirements) where it works great. However, if you go by the fact that it is was the only product to meet the original Mil-Spec and still meets some very demanding Mil-Specs, it's should be good for everything.

+ 1 work's for me!

I agree that it's not as good as purpose-built cleaners and lubes. It has its place, though, as something to keep in your gun bag to get the majority of the crud off your gun after a range session, especially if you're going to carry the gun afterwards. I keep a small bottle of BreakFree or RemOil in my gun bag for that reason, as well as a syringe of SG Lite for lube.

My experienc with Breakfree CLP is that as a Lubricant it tends to grab and hold powder fouling and gums up quicker than better lubricants... which can lead to gun failures... don't ever us it in a .22LR,,, it'll "gunk up" real fast! As a Cleaner, it's a poor second to many. As a Protector, it works OK, but there are better choices. I don't have an ounce of this stuff on hand, and don't plan on getting any.

Chris Christian

I forgot to add that it sucks as a bore cleaner...

I get the same results, it worthless as a bore cleaner or its a 48hr job to get it clean. I do not have that type of time. I am using Shooters Choice amd M Pro 7 right now to clean. The M Pro 7 has no smell to it, so its real good for indoor use.

I don't care for CLP. On my pistol (1911), I clean it with brake clean about every 5-7k rounds. I put a thin film of 85w90 Royal Purple gear oil on the barrel and internal parts. I put a few drops on the rails. I add more to the rails and chamber hood two or three times between cleanings.

For my rifles, I have found that some foaming bore cleaner followed by a patch with some Ballistol works well. Ballistol also works good for removing carbon and preventing corrosion.

Hurley

I use amsoil full synthetic or Mobile One, been using it for years, tried it on a machine gun bolt, it didnt burn off in 10 seconds like remoil, CLP, Tetra, etc., actually lasted several hundred rounds and if you have ever done any of your own friction tests, syn motor oils are hard to beat and a quart of motor oil costs the same as a 2 oz bottle of gun oil. I also use a lightweight amsoil grease for slide rails and bolts, looks and works like slideglide at a fraction of the price. Slide glide is really good stuff, just pricey in comparison. Amsoil grease is the same color and smells the same as SG, but SG is stringier (sp).

amsoil Motoroil will stay wet for a month or two in concealed and open carry and not attract much dust either.

Edited by Smokecloud

I currently use Mobil 1 Synthetic V-Twin motor oil a little more expensive than regular motor oil but a lot cheaper than so called gun oils.

Air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled engines one reason I use the V-Twin oil.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...win_20W-50.aspx

Click on data sheet.

SG on my 550 B)

BK