Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI aluminum grip

bulm540

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that in the Skingram they send out every so often. It looks like it will take all popular mag wells too! Cool deal although with no texturing on it this one leaves a lot of options out there for the shooter to do with them.

Joe W.

Anybody else question whether or not it will hold up on a limited gun? I hope it does but I just don't see it NOT cracking. :unsure:

I thought it would be less prone to cracking than a plastic one? Would it be the repetitive cycling that would stress weaken the Al?

I guess no more at home stippling?

STI had an edge with the alloy grip frame on their table at the Double Tap today. It sure felt nice and looked well built. Depending on what they do with it for grip surface and price, I am interested.

Neal in AZ (actually I an in TX at the DT until tomorrow)

At $400 I am all over it. I have had one on order (verbally) since I heard about it. Although my HSMITH ground and G-Man stippled grip looks great, feels awesome and fits me perfectly I think the metal grip will be an advantage. Mags will drop faster, consistency from grip to grip should be much better and the gun should be more rigid overall. Shooters Connection should be one of if not the first to get them and I have asked for the first one they sell, I am really looking forward to getting it.

Edit: typing on my phone....

Edited by HSMITH

I wonder, the polymer frames are somewhat flexible. The alloy wont be. Seems like a whole lot of stress all concentrated in only a couple places. With the property of aluminum seems like a recipe for cracking.

Edited by Joe4d

One aspect of SV's aluminum grip line that I really like is that there are options for size, shape, etc. I was hoping that STI would do something similar...

Still not so sure about the increased weight though - anyone know how much heavier they are than the polymer equivalent?

Edited by Xfactor

I saw one at the US Steel Nationals this weekend. I thought it felt considerably thicker than the plastic grips.

I used to shoot a caspian wide body and switched to an SV. I much prefer the lighter weight of the polymer frame. I guess it is all personal preference.

I wonder, the polymer frames are somewhat flexible. The alloy wont be. Seems like a whole lot of stress all concentrated in only a couple places. With the property of aluminum seems like a recipe for cracking.

interesting. what is the warranty on these things?

I like the fact that it takes existing mag wells.... I handled the one at the DTC - it would need to meet up with Mr. Belt Sander, but there appears to be plenty of meat to work with. At $400.... I can buy a whole bunch of plastic grips.... ;)

I saw one at the US Steel Nationals this weekend. I thought it felt considerably thicker than the plastic grips.

I used to shoot a caspian wide body and switched to an SV. I much prefer the lighter weight of the polymer frame. I guess it is all personal preference.

I used to shoot para and I didn't like it's thick grip and weight.

I like the fact that it takes existing mag wells.... I handled the one at the DTC - it would need to meet up with Mr. Belt Sander, but there appears to be plenty of meat to work with. At $400.... I can buy a whole bunch of plastic grips.... ;)

+1

I have bunch of extra plastic grips. :rolleyes:

One aspect of SV's aluminum grip line that I really like is that there are options for size, shape, etc. I was hoping that STI would do something similar...

Still not so sure about the increased weight though - anyone know how much heavier they are than the polymer equivalent?

I have the small size aluminium grip on my S.V. and love it. When I had the alloy grip fitted I weighed both the grips and the aluminium was only 9 grams heavier. Sorry but I dont know what that is in ounces.