Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Decapping Die

mds131s

What is the best decapping die for everything from 9mm to .223 all military crimp. Best as in strongest

You are looking for one die to decap multiple calibers? Lee Universal Decapping Die.

Around $10. I used to keep one on an old single stage press and "let" my 5 yr old

son decap and sort mixed brass---seemed more productive than watching TV.

He was punching out the primers on aluminum Blazer cases without problem. Die

is advertised as unbreakable.

Another nice thing about the Lee Dies, if you brake the depriming pin just send it back to them and they will ship you a new one for free. Gotta love that. I keep a few extras on hand just in case I do brake one, in that case I drop in a new one and ship the broken one. When the new one arrives it goes into the stash of new pins. lol

Joe W.

• 9 years later...
6 hours ago, WaynePatrick said:

Old thread, New day in 2018.

Mighty Armory is by far the finest made and toughest Decapping Die in the industry now. 

Google search Best Decapping Die 

Mighty Armory is at the top of the list. Reviews are off the charts!

I'm not dissing MA die, but the Lee is more than adequate at far less the price ($13 vs $50).  I have a dedicated tool head for my 650 with just the Lee decapping die to use before wet tumbling.  Processing the brass through is stupid fast.  BTW, I'm not a Lee fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but their decapping die is one of the things that Lee got right.

Edited by Tom S.

4 hours ago, Tom S. said:

I'm not dissing MA die, but the Lee is more than adequate at far less the price ($13 vs $50).  I have a dedicated tool head for my 650 with just the Lee decapping die to use before wet tumbling.  Processing the brass through is stupid fast.  BTW, I'm not a Lee fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but their decapping die is one of the things that Lee got right.

LEE dies in general are excellent. In this case It’s poking a primer out is all.

Any of the Lee fans using it on an autodrive?  I process my brass to resize multiple times before I load, burns time but I can let it run while I do other things and then only pay much attention when I'm actually going through and loading it, but I keep bending/breaking the decapping pins on various dies because I can't stop it from hitting a tumbled case.  Same question to the Mighty Armory fan as well.  

On 9/9/2018 at 2:38 PM, Djp55 said:

Any of the Lee fans using it on an autodrive?

Yes, Ammo Bot on a 1050.  Use the Lee Universal decapping die with a Berdan primer sensor.  Process 9/45 brass about 3500 cases per hour.  Only time a pin gets bent/broken is if a case somehow jumps off the plate and the die hits the case sideways.  I keep plenty of pins on hand, just in case.  

I've tried Squirrel Daddy pins too.  Always go back to Lee. 

Edited by GregJ

• 2 weeks later...

We have plenty of Ammobot owners using our dies. Surprised to hear there’s so many guys in here with the Lee having success. 

All of  our customers are done with Lee and are quite happy with the Mighty Armory die.

To each his own I suppose. Good luck with whichever your using.

On another note the Mark 7 owners don’t have the problems others have. I would think that’s why Mighty Armory is in station one and our Swage Backer Die is in stage two on so many through out the USA.

I have a Dillon 1050 with a Mark 7. I used to use Lee, but I did have some issues with primers not being decapped. I switched to Mighty Armory and have had very few issues (maybe 1 every 8,000 pieces of brass). I also like the simplicity of the setup. No need for wrenches...just screw the die down into the press, drop in the pin and screw on the cap. I now own a MA back up swage rod as well.

The Lee die worked pretty well for me for years. However, I now have my trusty Lee in a drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, camaross400 said:

I have a Dillon 1050 with a Mark 7. I used to use Lee, but I did have some issues with primers not being decapped. I switched to Mighty Armory and have had very few issues (maybe 1 every 8,000 pieces of brass). I also like the simplicity of the setup. No need for wrenches...just screw the die down into the press, drop in the pin and screw on the cap. I now own a MA back up swage rod as well.

The Lee die worked pretty well for me for years. However, I now have my trusty Lee in a drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i noticed mine started to slip and i really have to wrench down the lock nut. still works great

DJP---I assume you are referring " tumbled case" to the same thing Gregj spoke of when the rim of a 223 case isnt fully secure in the 1050 shellplate   or  the decapping pin slides down the outside of the case neck and is either bent or broken by the lateral force. My rl 1050 decapping machine is automated ( Mk 7 ) and this is about the only problem I have in case prep. I already ruined a Dillon 223 shellplate when the decap pin failed to go in the case and the leverage of the Mk 7 with low clutch was still strong enough to peel a portion of the shellplate extraction rim groove up. It is still usable but only to decap---I'm sure it would further peel away at the primer pocket swage station

On 9/1/2018 at 10:39 AM, WaynePatrick said:

The MA Universal is 29.95 

The Lee is 14.00 then you have to upgrade the pins for another 20.00 and they still weak compared to the MA which cost less in the end.

watch YouTube videos.

Squirrel daddy pins are 3/$10. Lee die is $12.50. So $22.50 incl shipping with 3 spare pins. 

Mighty Armory is $30, plus $4.50 in shipping. Total $34.50, no spare pins.

I would have to break 4 squirrel daddy pins to break even. Still waiting for the first one to break...

Having said that, $12 is not a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...
The MA Universal is 29.95 

The Lee is 14.00 then you have to upgrade the pins for another 20.00 and they still weak compared to the MA which cost less in the end.

watch YouTube videos.

Never mind. Post above makes a similar point.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I bent the hell out of one, so I ordered some Squirrel Daddy decapping pins and they're great!
I've dinged a bunch of 223 case mouths with the Squirrel Daddy pins. They need to have more of a taper between the decapping pin and the rod.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

There’s no way you can stop a Lee or a Lee with a squirrel daddy pin from crunching 223 cases or surviving a case that feeds sideways. 

Checkout the new Mighty Armory Shorty Decapping Die. 

This is a steel Die that will Decap 380 up to 308. Same tough shaft and pin just shorter. The threads start .650 up from the  mouth so no threads can get gouged. They’re also Black Oxide coated. You won’t find a better design or quality Die. Designed for autos.

Thats a promise..

Edited by WaynePatrick

I know this is an older thread but IMO the Lee die is okay, but I ALWAYS have trouble with their decapping pins. Mine ends up slipping for no reason, then I crank the collet down so much the pin bends. User error I'm sure. But I ended up buying the Dillon universal decapper and I love the thing. One time I bent a pin and could have bought some new ones, but Dillon was sending me some other parts for my press and I mentioned that I bent the pin. They sent me 2 new decapping stems (the entire threaded stem) and 5 pins.