Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Help

JaxGlock55

Can anyone here give me any suggestions for a new holster for my 17? I went out yesterday for my first competition and used my Bianchi Black Widow carry holster (OWB) and it worked fine but I want something a little further away from my body. I could use some help from more experienced shooters on makes and models. Thanks and I have found a new sport for me to devout my time and more importantly wallet draining money into!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IDPA, USPSA or both?

I like my Comp-Tac paddle. The Bladetech is also very popular, if you are going to shoot both games you can convert between the DOH and std belt holster pretty easy. For USPSA only it is probably a no-braner to get the Bladetech DOH model.

Edited by Greg Bell

IDPA, USPSA or both?

I like my Comp-Tac paddle. The Bladetech is also very popular, if you are going to shoot both games you can convert between the DOH and std belt holster pretty easy. For USPSA only it is probably a no-braner to get the Bladetech DOH model.

+1

After trying many other models between all my guns, I've standardized on the DOH for Production and Revolver and a Comp-Tac for Single Stack. If I ever shoot Limited, I'll be drawing from a DOH too.

Edit to add: Don't fool yourself into thinking switching the hardware on a holster for different games isn't a pain in the ass. Sooner or later, you will end up with 2 different holsters or just used one that's legal for both.

Edited by Glockopop

Used to be that the BladeTech DOH was really the only Dropped and Offset Holster you could really get. But now Ready Tactical has a DOH that works much better than the Blade Tech in my opinion. I use the Ready Tac DOH. Ready Tactical does not have a website but one of our forum dealers sells and stocks them for fast delivery. Ready Tactical at CPWSA And their mag pouches rock too.

Used to be that the BladeTech DOH was really the only Dropped and Offset Holster you could really get. But now Ready Tactical has a DOH that works much better than the Blade Tech in my opinion. I use the Ready Tac DOH. Ready Tactical does not have a website but one of our forum dealers sells and stocks them for fast delivery. Ready Tactical at CPWSA And their mag pouches rock too.

How deep is the sight channel on the Ready Tactical? I put a dawson .335 front sight on my G34 and it gets stuck in my Bladetech holster. I would prefer not to have to modify the holster to get it to fit.

How deep is the sight channel on the Ready Tactical? I put a dawson .335 front sight on my G34 and it gets stuck in my Bladetech holster. I would prefer not to have to modify the holster to get it to fit.

I was concerned about the when I ordered my last one since I use a high Dawson front sight also. I requested they deepen the sight channel 1/4 of an inch. I probably should have requested 1/2 an inch. They can do this, just ask.

Edited to add... You might want to think about getting a G34 holster instead of a G17 holster if you order. The G17 will fit just the same and if you ever get a G34 or G35 it will also fit. Additionally, if you ever go to sell it, more people will be interested in buying it.

Edited by SA Friday

IDPA, USPSA or both?

Both are excellent choices. I have a Bladetech for my G35 that I use in both IDPA & USPSA. Works fine, and if you want you can get the DOH add-on and make it a dropped-off-hand. I also have a Comp-Tac Minotour that I use for carrying my G23. Great carry rig.

Both are great holsters for the price.

z-

If you think that 3gun is in your future, you might consider a SERPA with the push button lock. A little slower than a BladeTech DOH but I've seen rifle slings yank a Glock out of a DOH that was really snug.. regards

Les

Blade-Tech DOH is the overwhelming choice for USPSA Production, or for Limited shooters who don't use race holsters. There's a reason.

SA Friday gave you some good advice: get a holster for the G34. It will fit both and give you some options, including when you sell it later.

Curtis

I use the Blackhawk CQC. It's the same holster as the Serpa but without the lock.

Mach2 tactical makes an excellent holster which can be used for Production as well as L-10/Ltd. My son has been using one and I just ordered one myself. They also make a good mag, don't take much space on belt.

Go with the BladeTech. IMO the warranty department rocks! As long as you realize you're not talking to a shooter. I was asked if my revolver (S&W 629) was made by Safariland, doh!

BTW if you buy a DOH (dropped off set) the "drop" portion is removable on the newer models, and you can simply mount the holster to your belt attachment. See which one you like best.

• 1 month later...

I was concerned about the when I ordered my last one since I use a high Dawson front sight also. I requested they deepen the sight channel 1/4 of an inch. I probably should have requested 1/2 an inch. They can do this, just ask.

Edited to add... You might want to think about getting a G34 holster instead of a G17 holster if you order. The G17 will fit just the same and if you ever get a G34 or G35 it will also fit. Additionally, if you ever go to sell it, more people will be interested in buying it.

Would the same advice you gave for the G17 work for a G19? I'm considering purchasing a DOH for my 19 and if I can use one holster for a 19, 17, 34, etc. (if I get those in the future) that would be great!