Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer tube detonation - ceiling damage?

Just curious, but for those who've managed to light off a primer tube, what damage if any did your ceiling endure?

My kids watch TV directly over my press. :surprise:

I'm thinking about screwing in a 3/4 thick plywood shield just to be safe.

I've never seen it only heard about it from a friend, but I think the primer follower only stuck in the drywall above the press. You know the drywall is going to stop alot of the force, and sub-flooring is pretty thick so I wouldn't be too worried .... but I see your point and you can never be too careful where kids or family are concerned. So it wouldn't hurt.

I had a 650 go in my old house, took out the fluorescent light :rolleyes:

I had some old primers stay in the case on a batch of 38specials that sat for 30yrs.......Leaving the "ring" in the primer pocket. Most of the tube went up. The plastic primer tube did more damage to the drywall, rubbing black marks than anything else.

Not a rocket scientist, but as long as you have drywall or the solid floor I cannot think you would have a problem with anything.....My bedroom is right above my room too..... :ph34r::roflol:

DougC

When I lit mine off, the follower rod was the only thing that was launched. It hit the overhead (exposed roof in my shop), bent itself into a nice "Z" shape and that was about it. From my experience, the primers pretty much expanded in place and didn't leave the tube.

fwiw

dj

I've had two primer dets with my 650,(see my latest post on primer dets) in both cases, the plastic rod for the low primer sensor shattered either on impast with the ceiling, or from the det, I don't know which. What few primers launched dented a few boards laid across the rafters of my shop, bot no real damage. If you have a sub floor and then what ever above that you should be safe, but any extra insurance is OK in my book.

Mine just blew the plastic rod thur the drywall. Inch and a half hole in the drywall, bent the rod. I cant believe it could penterate subfloor above but if a shield would make you feel better, go for it. I did hear a story, friend of a friend kind of a deal, about a guy that had a 230 gr 45 bullet taped to the end of the rod for weight, had a blow up and the rod just barely dented the ceiling. I guess the weight really killed off the velocity, but who knows how many primers he set off. I have the weight taped to mine and I dont want to know if it will help or not.----------Larry

Unplug the TV. :)

They get to watch about 2hrs a day, IF they do thier chores. Half an hour in the morning, an hour after homework, and half an hour at bed.

Weekends, it all depends on the weather.

However, now that the boys like earning money, often while I reload, they tray and primer check loaded ammo. :cheers: It's amazing what you can get done for a Loonie.

I've blown two of the little buggers! :o My bench is in the garage and just below our bonus room. Both times the plastic follower rod left a small ding in the sheet rock ceiling but that's all. You'll have to think of another way to deal with your teenagers. :lol:

Many years ago, I saw the damage from what I think was a 1050 tube detonation. The reloading room was inside an old insulated trailer that had been converted into a reloading area. I recall that the sheet metal ceiling 3 or so feet above it looked like it had taken a mini-shotgun blast. I don't recall for certain if any of it penetrated, but it looked like it. The rangemaster running the machine said he could only hear a loud ringing for a while after that. I bet it was really loud in that metal box! I recall seeing him run the machine with electronic muffs on at least once after that.

Edited by sheepdog

• 6 months later...

Well thiss Sunday I have become a member of the club .

Just setup the 650 to 9mm for a friend and at the fifth stroke KABOOM. Ok time for some coffee and a change of pants. It didn't even occur to us that al the primers had wen't. When we came back aftter coffee I started with a functions check. Hmm primer disc is stuck, so loosend the screws and out fell a couple of empty primer cups, one primer had merged with the disc and the same goes for al lot of the primersin the tube. The inner tube didn't burst, but I have yet to find the platic rod somewhere in my garage. Next time besides safetyglasses some earplugs damn that was loud.

Now to find out how customer service is for Dillon in The Netherlands

Frank

When I lit mine off, the follower rod was the only thing that was launched. It hit the overhead (exposed roof in my shop), bent itself into a nice "Z" shape and that was about it. From my experience, the primers pretty much expanded in place and didn't leave the tube.

fwiw

dj

+1 for mine when it went off. The little plastic follower rod was destroyed and stuck in the celing. Nothing else came out.

D

Just curious, but for those who've managed to light off a primer tube, what damage if any did your ceiling endure?

My kids watch TV directly over my press. :surprise:

I'm thinking about screwing in a 3/4 thick plywood shield just to be safe.

The primers would have to go through 1/2 an inch of drywal, 3/4 an inch or OSB/Flooring. Thats not going to happen. They don't have the mass to make it that far. Your extra plywood would deflect them towards you a little easier as well.

• 2 weeks later...
After just setting up my new 650 I have to ask whats with all the 650 primer detonations? I have never had any with my 550, but it sounds like most are getting it with the 650. Should I be extra cautious about something?

I was just going to start searching for that same information.

On the XL650, primers in the disc are spaced close enough together that detonating one while seating can more readily set off the others in a chain effect. As long as you don't try to impress the machine with your brute strength, it isn't an issue. Most common causes are trying to seat primers in crimped primer pockets, ringers, and not adjusting the station two locator tab to keep the case from coming out of the shellplate. In virtually all instances, the user recalls having to apply force beyond what is normally required to seat the primer. Good rule: if it feels funny, STOP! :surprise: