Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass polish?

Pat Miles

Just curious as to what other folks use while tumbling brass. I've been using Dillons polish but would like to find a polish that might be offered locally so the price doesn't double with the cost of shipping. So what do you use and how do you like it? Any home brew recipes?

CYa,

Pat

Just curious as to what other folks use while tumbling brass. I've been using Dillons polish but would like to find a polish that might be offered locally so the price doesn't double with the cost of shipping. So what do you use and how do you like it? Any home brew recipes?

CYa,

Pat

I don't polish my brass... I just tumble it. I don't care if it looks new... just that all the crud is off it.

Those are perfectly valid points. But if you happen to like shiney brass like me just thin some nufinish liquid wax with mineral spirits and add a small amount (think teaspoon) when you tumble. I keep some mixed in a water bottle next to the tumbler. I do agree with the other posters that it is not needed though. My tests have shown that 2 hours with walnut removes the crud then an hour or so with corncob and polish makes it look like new.

From time to time when I order from Cabelas.. I order a corn cob and polish 'kit'. it's really cheap. and the shipping there is based on dollars.. so at most the extra shipping for the 10#s is about a dollar.... but usually, there's no change at all.

Thanks for the info everybody.

I'm not looking to pimp my brass :surprise: , Ijust feel if it is a little slicker it will feed a little easier. It's going though the tumbler anyway so a bit of NuFinish in the mix can't hurt.

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

i don't use walnut or corncob media. fill tumbler with rice and a cap full of nu finish car polish. after a few hours the brass is clean and looks brand new.

Really?! Rice?! Does it matter if it is white or brown? I have never thought or heard of that. Anyone else do this? Rice is cheaper than heck, I would love to save some money.

I had been using the frankford arsenal polish for years, and decided to grab a bottle of NuFinish at the store last night.

WORKS GREAT!

I am very impressed with the results, and will probably never use the other stuff again.