Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vehicle to use to go to matches in?

Hello: I was just wondering what people are using to go to out of town matches? I have been using a 2004 Mini Cooper S since it is easy on fuel. Is anyone else using gas miser vehicles or am I the only one? Thinking of a diesel next. Let me know what you are using. Thanks, Eric

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric,

I use my 1990 bmw 325 and car is going strong at 310,000 miles. cheap on gas as it burns 27mpg.

my full tank is only 20.00bucks..definitely go with gas saver truck or car unless the range that you are going to

needs to go thru rocky ans shallow river? then I would go to a ford ranger or toyota small truck.

Regards,

SB

Definitely not a gas miser. If the wife and dogs are with me, the whole thing is packed...our bags, shooting gear and stuff for the pooches pretty well fills up the shell. It's quiet, rides great, has tons of power, heated seats, nav system....etc, etc. In all, a very comfortable cross-country rig.

ARE1.jpg

My buddy Mig and I drove to Ft Benning from Northern VA two years ago in a 2001 Nissan Altima. The car was packed to the gills with gear ad Erik made fun of us!!! He is just jealous that his big ass wouldn't fit in it!!! We averaged about 26 MPG!!

Well my wife totalled the Altima so I went out and bought an Acura MDX. Needless to say it will be a much nicer ride to Benning in 2009!!!!

Edited by NovaShooter

Hello: I was just wondering what people are using to go to out of town matches? I have been using a 2004 Mini Cooper S since it is easy on fuel. Is anyone else using gas miser vehicles or am I the only one? Thinking of a diesel next. Let me know what you are using. Thanks, Eric

I don't burn a drop of gas when I go to matches - My Jeep Liberty burns diesel. I recommend it.

I don't burn a drop of gas when I go to matches - My Jeep Liberty burns diesel. I recommend it.

I was going to say the same thing only mine is a Dodge 2500. 21-23 mpg on the highway :D

I was going to say the same thing only mine is a Dodge 2500. 21-23 mpg on the highway :D

30 MPG in the diesel liberty on the highway, 25 on the farm. I don't know why more people don't get on the diesel bandwagon.

All depends on how many people and if it's 3 Gun or not. The smallest thing we can take, where everyone fits.

I'm always amazed when we get 3 or 4 gus going to an out of state 3 Gun match.. and how much gear there is. Especially IronMman

30 MPG in the diesel liberty on the highway, 25 on the farm. I don't know why more people don't get on the diesel bandwagon.

because it is at least a buck more than gasoline here....

because it is at least a buck more than gasoline here....

At the last station I filled up, gas was $1.69 and diesel was 2.09. That's a 24% difference. My diesel jeep gets 30 mpg, my gas jeep (both Liberties) gets 23. That's a 30% difference.

So, pay a 24% premium on fuel but pick up a 30% premium on mileage. Throw in reduced maintainence, increased longetivity, and increased trade-in value, and things work out. Plus, it wasn't THAT long ago that diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Prices fluctuate.

I drive a Jeep Liberty (gas). Absolute worst gas mileage in its class. 17-18 mpg is the best it will get. I do not recommend the (gas) version to anyone. With that said, I do like the vehicle a lot,... just wish I'd have purchased the diesel version. Diesel is more expensive per gallon, what is your $ per mile on the diesel version?

I drive a Jeep Liberty (gas). Absolute worst gas mileage in its class. 17-18 mpg is the best it will get. I do not recommend the (gas) version to anyone. With that said, I do like the vehicle a lot,... just wish I'd have purchased the diesel version. Diesel is more expensive per gallon, what is your $ per mile on the diesel version?

I had a great experience with my gas Liberty. That's why I bought the diesel and gave my old Liberty to my son to take to college. Both have held up well on the farm, been comfortable on the highway, and reliable. At a price tag between $20K and $30K, that's not too shabby.

See post above for current comparison in cost, also note that diesel and gas prices fluctuate in relation to each other. In the past few years, I've seen diesel prices range from 30% over gas prices to 30% under. For the past year or so, its averaged between 20 and 25% higher, which still gives a $$$ advantage to diesel once mileage, maintenance, and service life is considered..

Edited by bbbean

If you're in a REAL hurry, you might want to check out what this guy was driving: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/ODD...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

I got a nice sensible station wagon to go to matches in. Was trying for a Dodge Magnum, they get 24-26mpg. Of course the dealer couldn't get the one I wanted so I "settled" on the 6.1L SRT version which gets 21mpg with premium and doesn't have enough ground clearance to even get into a few of the ranges I've been to.

It's a hardship, but I think I can deal :)

I'll sometimes carpool with a friend in his Civic.

2001 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic. Gets 40 plus for mileage. Just enough room to get all my pistol gear on the bike. The ride to the match it is a little heavy with all the ammo but the ride home is lighter and better mileage. Just hope it doesn't rain.

Tom

My buddy Mig and I drove to Ft Benning from Northern VA two years ago in a 2001 Nissan Altima.

I have since upgraded to a 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL /Nav. Comfortably seating 4 with our 3G gear.

Lots of good buys on mid 90's cars. . .

For a good mix of mileage, reliability, space and comfort/power check out:

95-to late 90's Nissan Maximas- Geat engine, good room good cargo area/trunk super reliable- cheep.

same years full size acuras, lexus, if you want a little more luxury-nice and reliable- good space for 3 or 4 with gear.

These are nice and reasonable if you shop right- crashworthy and not too expensive if some other driver decides to mess up your ride. . .and hit you :angry2:

same years mini vans are also nice transport for the blaster crew car pool.

Check out reliability stats on consumer reports.

My own rig is a 1995 Chey 9c1 police packaged Caprice with the Corvette motor. 25 mpg on long trips- 300hp :rolleyes:

A heavy road blaster with 4 in the car and a full trunk.

Yep, go a head and pull out in front of me- its paid for. . .

My wife, two dogs, and I use this. Works great for a nice getaway vacation. I use it for the DPMS Tri-gun Challenge, and the Rocky Mountain 3-gun. It isn't cheap on gas (around 10 mpg) but it sure is nice to be able to bring everyone along, ride in comfort, sleep in our own beds and use our own bathroom and shower.

post-5372-1235174228_thumb.jpg