Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you are currently using a shok buff

RangerTrace

I ran them for a while way back when with a single stack .38 Super Open gun (running 180+PF loads and a very light slide) but eventually stopped. I think that slide cracked at about the 100K point and that was long before the current slides that are much stronger.

I've been told by several really good gunsmiths that if the barrel, slide and link/slide stop are all fit properly a shok buff offers next to nothing when it comes to durability. I don't have any proof to go along with that, but I don't bother with them in any of my 1911s or 2011s. R,

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a nylon wilson buff in my limited guns. Then switched to the harder cp buff, couldn't really tell much of a difference between those two. After talking with Ted Puente last year, I decided to to the aluminum buff and the bouncing effect went away like Ted said it would.

Edited by Zerwas

Had one disintegrate and jam the gun during a 32 round stage at a major match, after that never again. I do like the feel of the gun with one installed but its another extra part that can (and have) ruin the day..

I bought a Delta Gold Cup in early 90’s.

For uspsa and carry (back when Major power factor was a bit more major).

Installed 2 shok buffers in it from the get go and still run double recoil springs.

Will feed any ammo (swc,hp,rn,jacketed or lead) that will go through the clips.

Have worn out one barrel so far and gun is still good as new.

Never seen more then flattening to the buffers, replace when worn.

I think the type/fit of the guide rod to the frame and springs is key as I have never had one come apart. Can’t say as to recoil effect (I just want to avoid a cracked frame on the delta).

I use two to get a stack up of about .22" (wilson and a CP) and a 11# recoil spring in my STI Edge. I remembered something Brian wrote about in his book....stack up as many as you can as long as the gun still functions.

A shok buff is just like any other part on your gun ....... you can't let it go 20,000 rounds until it disintegrates in your gun during the Nationals ..... change it when it looks like hell, maybe even before it looks that bad.

Just don't tell me "it looked fine when I cleaned the gun last, but it cost me the match because it made my gun jam." - They don't fall apart that fast. <_<

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I was surprised by these numbers.... after all the horror stories I've heard about them I never tried them.

Yeah, I would have never, ever predicted this many folks using them....wild.

I will say that when I ran them ages ago they never caused me any problems and I was a broke college student who ran them until they were really worn.

I am an odd duck I guess. Been running one in my Open gun ever since I got it without a problem. Running a Buffer Tech. and a 9 pound spring with some lightening cuts to the slide and haven't had any issues at all. Heck I am still running the same buffer as it isn't showing any wear or breakage. The Buffer Tech one is clear so you can see all the way through it and it looks fine. I may change it in the next few months just to be safe.

Wilsons are another story. I used to run them in my .45 Open gun for pins and would go through one about every 500 to 1000 rounds. Had one split in a circle and slide got stuck in there pretty good. Yeah, I stopped running Wilsons right after that. The only way I would run one is if I had an Aluma-Buff in top of it so the Wilson is captured between the guide rod and the Aluma-Buff.

Joe W.

I’ve run Wilson buffs for years with no problems. I run a Cominolli guide rod with Wilson buffs both front and back. Every gun I’ve looked at that had problems running buffs could be traced to the spring tunnel on the slide. The buff gets pinched between the head of the guide rod and the spring tunnel; the spring tunnel can act like a cookie cutter on any buff. If you are having trouble with buffs look at this area. Guns run without buffs allow the spring tunnel to impact the head of the guide rod and can turn the tunnel into a cookie cutter. PS I’m not a gunsmith and YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I stack those beasts up to limit slide movement. Although I do top them off with a Dawson Aluma-Buf. I have never had a problem with them and the Aluma-Buf keeps them all looking like new. I like the way the gun feels with shorter slide movement. It also makes it impossible for the slide to lock back.

I have 5 of them in my 9mm STI and 3 in my 40.

• 1 month later...

I wish John Browning were around today to give us his thoughts on it, I bet he would not have approved. I know, I know he would not approve of many things we do to his design, but I think he would have really not liked those things.

I tried them and found they make very little differance in feel, add cost, and sometimes cause problems. If the 1911 is properly fitted and good ammo is used it will last a long long time even with out the magic buffs.

My used Wilson came with one in it, but it was hagged. I ordered some more from Wilson and have been running them without any problems. Just took the gun apart to clean a couple of weeks ago and the buff looks great.

Randy

Hell no, I ain't stickin no gummy piece of rubber into my fully functional gun to get all chewed up and jam the crap out of it when the mysterious life cycle of it runs out.

OK, ya, I tried on once. Made my Edge puke like a Para :surprise: .

My Benny Hill didn't come with one, so it's not getting one either. If Benny thought it needed one it would of had one when he shipped it to me.

Hell no, I ain't stickin no gummy piece of rubber into my fully functional gun to get all chewed up and jam the crap out of it when the mysterious life cycle of it runs out.

OK, ya, I tried on once. Made my Edge puke like a Para :surprise: .

My Benny Hill didn't come with one, so it's not getting one either. If Benny thought it needed one it would of had one when he shipped it to me.

Virgil Tripp is not a fan of them. But like one of the above posters stated, my Wilson CQB came with one and it does not cut them. BUT, I shoot my STIs a lot more than the CQB.

Edited by rangertrace