Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers Update?

Sarge

It looks like it has been a while since anyone has posted regarding Wolf small pistol primers. Are they still working out well? I read one post that said they did not load well into 9mm's. Can anyone contradict this?

The price is right for sure(powdervalley $90 or so) but they must work 100% to be worth it.

Thanks

can't confirm copper because I'm no metallurgist!!!!

but they work in my AR, JP-LRP, and pistols 9,40,45. When chrono'd in my AR, they do not affect velocity adversely one way or the other, and they deliver accuracy comparable to my Win primers.

Trapr

It looks like it has been a while since anyone has posted regarding Wolf small pistol primers. Are they still working out well? I read one post that said they did not load well into 9mm's. Can anyone contradict this?

The price is right for sure(powdervalley $90 or so) but they must work 100% to be worth it.

Thanks

The extra money spent on quality components is well worth it. If you want to win. If you want to go to the range, and stand there talking about why your ammo doesnt function quite right, then by all means.

Keep this in mind. Whatever money you think you're saving ............. divide that number by 5,000 and tell me if you think it's still worth it. ;)

four years ago when I got started in this game, a local gun shop had these primers but the box said PMC on them later on I heard Wolf bought them out. I had stocked up about 50,000 of these primers that I bought for $65.00 a sleeve and wished I had got more knowing what I know now but I have never had a ignition problem I would use them with great confidence and don't look back. :cheers:

WOLF

Light strike? No, not possible according to someone who buys them by the case.... :P

As I said before... the SR I had some issues with light strikes for two reasons. The first is that some of the primers wouldn't seat properly. The next was just a failure to light.

I have never had an issue with with SP. I've burned through at least 30k of small pistol. Load those and forget about it... the rifle I would not load even for practice... high primers and ftf suck ass.

JT

I have started shooting the Wolf small pistol totally. I have had only one with out a anvil but it was easy to spot when they ship them anvil side up. Also like the way they seal the sleeves of primers. I think they are at least equal to any primer out there.

I've gone through a little over 18,000 of these primers over the past year with no problems. Mostly loading .40 but also a copule thousand in 9mm for a Glock with an ultra light trigger. Never any light strikes other than a few highly seated primers.

They chrono consistently, go bang every time, and are much cheaper than the rest. What more could you want?

Have used 5k of LP and approaching 10K of SP. All go bang, chronos look same as Winchester, no seating problems whatsoever. I don't understand how "light strikes" are attributed to the primer and not the gun, but I've not had those issues either.

Cup hardness varies with different primer brands.

When I say light strike (and a lot of other people) I mean the primer cup is too hard for the way my gun is set-up.

I wouldn't use Wolf on a worked over revo or other gun that has a lightened hammer spring w/o the other tweak(s) (like a longer firing pin) that would help it ignite the primer.

Cup hardness varies with different primer brands.

When I say light strike (and a lot of other people) I mean the primer cup is too hard for the way my gun is set-up.

I wouldn't use Wolf on a worked over revo or other gun that has a lightened hammer spring w/o the other tweak(s) (like a longer firing pin) that would help it ignite the primer.

+1 I have had light stikes with M&P 9mm worked over by a reputable smith. Gun runs 100% with Win and Rem primers. Also runs WWB and UMC 100%

Also had light strikes in Glock 34 with Trigger Kit .com trigger.

I am sure with factory triggers everything is probably okay. Just occasional light strikes with these trigger jobs.

Almost through 60K loaded in 9x19, .40 major, and .223 using Wolf small pistol, small rifle, and small rifle mag........

Zero bad primers, zero light hits/strikes, no issues, period.

I am through loading the rest of the batch that Jim had issues with and am sad to say that they loaded smoothly and run great in my ARs....... :ph34r: <dunno what the issue was....>

Nothing wrong with them as far as I can tell so far....... ;)

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

Almost through 60K loaded in 9x19, .40 major, and .223 using Wolf small pistol, small rifle, and small rifle mag........

I am through loading the rest of the batch that Jim had issues with and am sad to say that they loaded smoothly and run great in my ARs....... :ph34r: <dunno what the issue was....>

DougC

Ever used Wolf 556/223 primers in 40?

I've been using SR's in my 40's for a while now, curious if Wolf are similar.

DougC

Very glad to hear you had no issues Doug... what press did you use? That's not a bad thing it just means I need to look hard at what I'm doing too. Thankd for the info...

Jim

Edited by JThompson

Jim, it was the good ole 1050......

As far as using the 556 primers in .40, havent tried it, but have tried the small rifle, and they fit and work just fine......

I dont know what the difference is......maybe shoot <pardon the pun.....> Powder Valley an email about them. I am thinking they might have a little harder cup than the regular rifle primers.....just a guess?

DougC

Just started using Wolfs as a substitute to Winchesters in my Minor load. Ran the same load with Wolf SP and Win SP over the chrono and I can't tell apart except the Wolfs seem to have a smaller velocity spread. I'm using them in a G34 with a 4lb wolf striker spring and have been 100% so far. The best parts has to be the packaging, no flip tray required and they are evenly space so I can pick them up with the Dillon tubes faster.

Xtra long firing pins in 1911 style guns will cure light strike issues most of the time, even with high primers. I've been using long pins for years in my STI's and I can't remember the last light strike I had, I only use small rifle primers. I just bought 20,000 wolf small rifle primers and will start using them soon. Hopefully they will work well.