Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers Update?

Sarge

Cup hardness varies with different primer brands.

When I say light strike (and a lot of other people) I mean the primer cup is too hard for the way my gun is set-up....

In these cases, do you get a small, light dent in the primer? And is the dent different from the others that ignited?

I tried just 1000 of the Wolf SP. I got several light strikes in my Glock 34 with glockworks light trigger.

To be fair, I also get a few rare light strikes on my CCI primers, but.. the difference was that with CCI I could chamber it again and always get it to go off on the 2nd bang. I had two Wolf primers that I struck five or six times without a bang. The primer dimple was not subtle. No idea what the problem was there.. it could be something that was entirely my fault, but it happened in those 1000 Wolf rounds and never again.

So I would say Wolf is at least a little harder than CCI.

That kindof turned me off to Wolf SP, but at $90/case, I'm buying Wolf again for my AR volume ammo and my harder-hitting LP guns.

I wouldn't bring them to a competition, but given that there are other more experience (and higher volume) shooters that love 'em, I'd be willing to try them again. I'm all about cheap plinking ammo too.

Cup hardness varies with different primer brands.

When I say light strike (and a lot of other people) I mean the primer cup is too hard for the way my gun is set-up....

In these cases, do you get a small, light dent in the primer? And is the dent different from the others that ignited?

It's impossible to tell, because if it DOES fire, then the dent is smashed into a different "glock slot" shape.

I wouldn't call the light strikes "small", as in clearly defective, but obviously I'm giving something up to get this nice light Glock trigger, so it's below normal impact.