Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Illegal Production Trigger Mods

Shadow

Folks, I viewed the near final product last night. It is more than a simple NROI ruling. It is trying to establish some things many of you have been asking for, a "mission statement" so to speak.

We didn't get into this box overnight, and it will take an amount of time to get out of it, hopefully.

It will still have to be posted and voted on, so just hold on. We want this off the table as much as you do.

Gary

Thanks Gary. I'm not trying to be pushy - just thought we'd have some input today based on where you thoughts were previously. Given this, sounds like things are close. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to not worry as much about reload practice for this coming Saturday's match. :roflol:

If youre a new uspsa shooter, the last thing you should be worrying about is this thread. You be 1000x better if you were dry firing instead.

I'm not worried at all. Just want to know what I should put down for the Division I'm shooting when I show up as I'm using an XDm with trigger work. Right now it would be Limited based on the interpretation as it stands today...

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, I viewed the near final product last night. It is more than a simple NROI ruling. It is trying to establish some things many of you have been asking for, a "mission statement" so to speak.

We didn't get into this box overnight, and it will take an amount of time to get out of it, hopefully.

It will still have to be posted and voted on, so just hold on. We want this off the table as much as you do.

Gary

Thanks Gary. I'm not trying to be pushy - just thought we'd have some input today based on where you thoughts were previously. Given this, sounds like things are close. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to not worry as much about reload practice for this coming Saturday's match. :roflol:

If youre a new uspsa shooter, the last thing you should be worrying about is this thread. You be 1000x better if you were dry firing instead.

I'm not worried at all. Just want to know what I should put down for the Division I'm shooting when I show up as I'm using an XDm with trigger work. Right now it would be Limited based on the interpretation as it stands today...

If youre planning on the okcgc match; I just found out that they will not have the usual armed division compliance officers :surprise: , so just go shoot production. about 90% of those guys have some internal work on their production guns. I should know.

I wish I was going, Id like to feel up your XDm.

I think Chuck summed it up pretty well. Nothing has changed, and who knows might not, so don't worry about something that isn't broken yet.

Of course if you are really, really worried you could come on over to single stack with Z Hunter and I. The water is warm:)

Gary

If youre planning on the okcgc match; I just found out that they will not have the usual armed division compliance officers :surprise: , so just go shoot production. about 90% of those guys have some internal work on their production guns. I should know.

I wish I was going, Id like to feel up your XDm.

Well, that's what I'll probably do but don't want ANY of you guys calling me a cheater! Besides, if I was cheating my score would be somewhere above the bottom of the pack! :roflol:

I'm a new member at the OKCGC so I'm sure you'll catch me in the future. Just look for the guy missing the targets with the XDm - can't miss me!

It might look like a G20 and you might think there is a .40S&W chambered barrel in it, but how do you prove it?

What do you use and how do you prove it?

Easy, drop a 10mm ammunition in the barrel.

What OAL length, what bullet shape, what case length.

Why 10mm? The gun isn't marked G20.

;)

It might look like a G20 and you might think there is a .40S&W chambered barrel in it, but how do you prove it?

;)

I'll bet the mags are......

Unless you have a source for unmarked mags....

;)

Don't know about you but I have a pretty easy time telling a Large frame Glock from a Small frame. If .40 is flinging out of a Large Frame, I'm gonna have questions. Although I'm not sure where I'm getting a 10mm round.

Why not? I can drop in a .40 if you want. Either way, you'll be able to tell what the barrel is chambered for. And if you have mags full of .40 on your belt and it's a G20 size frame...

hesitating to re-light fires that have cooled to embers, but...

No matter what our various opinions might be on what the rules "mean", there's a pretty big difference between "it is allowed within the rules" and "I know it is against the rules, but you probably can't catch me"

There's sort of a whole question of "sportsmanship" that gets raised somewhere in there.

I'm just sayin'....

"I know it is against the rules, but you probably can't catch me"

We should not make rules that can not be effectively enforced. It is all fine and well to rely upon the good will of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles. But in the real world it means handing an unfair advantage to those that are less than scrupulous.

Maybe it's just me, but... in playing a "sport" that has rules, I always figured it was the player's responsibility to ensure he/she is playing by the rules.

the concept that it is someone else's job to try to "catch the rule-breaking", and "if it doesn't get caught, it is okay" is, well, pretty foreign to my way of thinking, let alone our general concept of "personal responsibility". And, beyond that, doing something that one *knows* is against the rules, based on the premise that it "probably won't get caught" is ... well... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cheating

I'm not calling anyone out. I'm just expressing a belief that the game has rules, and it is up to us - each of us - to play within them. I think, at a very basic level, that's the essence of "sportsmanship".

But maybe that's just me. :ph34r:

I'm not calling anyone out. I'm just expressing a belief that the game has rules, and it is up to us - each of us - to play within them. I think, at a very basic level, that's the essence of "sportsmanship".

I think it is naive to believe that everyone is going to play nice-nice. If the rules are not easily enforceable, then those who choose to cheat, get a free pass. I think we have had enough scandals in sporting news over the last few years that clearly demonstrate that people will cheat.

By that line of thought we would not need police because all good citizens will obey the law.

By that line of thought we would not need police because all good citizens will obey the law.

Too true. But, one does have control over their own actions.

Joel

{Puts on Devil's Advocate Hat}

If a rule exists but the majority of competitors choose to ignore it, is it really cheating? As long as everyone is doing it, sportsmanship is not compromised it would seem.

{Removes Devil's Advocate Hat}

Edited by makomachine

Maybe it's just me, but... in playing a "sport" that has rules, I always figured it was the player's responsibility to ensure he/she is playing by the rules.

the concept that it is someone else's job to try to "catch the rule-breaking", and "if it doesn't get caught, it is okay" is, well, pretty foreign to my way of thinking, let alone our general concept of "personal responsibility". And, beyond that, doing something that one *knows* is against the rules, based on the premise that it "probably won't get caught" is ... well... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cheating

Bruce. I absolutely agree with the self-policing aspect of this. It's "not just you".

BUT (there's always a but, right?), we as an organization are not embracing that ideal too strenuously, as evidenced by chronograph stations at matches, magazine gauges at chrono stations, equipments checks, etc. We even task an individual other than the shooter him/herself to score the targets.

If a rule exists but the majority of competitors choose to ignore it, is it really cheating? As long as everyone is doing it, sportsmanship is not compromised it would seem.

If there is a speed limit and everyone chooses speeding is it really illegal. Well of course it is. If everyone knows it's cheating then of course sportsmanship is compromised.

If there is a speed limit and everyone chooses speeding is it really illegal. Well of course it is. If everyone knows it's cheating then of course sportsmanship is compromised.

I guess I have a different interpretation with the 'devil's advocate hat' on. We aren't talking civil/criminal laws here - it's game rules which is a big difference. If a majority of the competition are playing a game a certain way and the rules don't line up with that majority - the rules are broke, not the sportsman who make up the majority of participants.

Per Meriam-Webster:

Main Entry: sports·man·ship

: conduct (as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport

When the majority of opponents are playing contrary to rules - that's not poor sportsmanship, as you are on a level playing field with your fellow opponents.

With that said, I'm only playing devil's advocate here and believe that everyone has an obligation to insure they comply with the rules. With that said, maybe we have people playing a different game than what's outlined in the rules today as it relates to Production Division and trigger work.

I think it is naive to believe that everyone is going to play nice-nice. If the rules are not easily enforceable, then those who choose to cheat, get a free pass. I think we have had enough scandals in sporting news over the last few years that clearly demonstrate that people will cheat.

It may not be a matter of "playing nice" or "playing within the rules".

If USPSA develops rules which are either difficult to interpret (I think I am playing by the rules) or difficult/impossible to enforce, then any competitor may find it themselves in violation of a rule even though they had acted in good faith while trying to push their performance envelope. On that note we want everyone to police themselves while trying to reach the top, in a sport that rewards and encourages pushing limits for the sake of performance these two objectives often collide.

If USPSA develops rules which are either difficult to interpret (I think I am playing by the rules) or difficult/impossible to enforce, then any competitor may find it themselves in violation of a rule even though they had acted in good faith

Totally agree. And, believe me, USPSA is working to improve the rules to make them clearer.

What I was responding to, though, was the notion of "oh, go ahead and do it. they can't catch you anyway." That's a different thing to me.

Put it in a different context. Let's say I can rob a bank, in a way in which I can be pretty sure I won't get caught. Does the fact that "I probably won't get caught" somehow make it "an okay thing to do"?

For me, as a competitor (who competed at the highest level in another sport), the rules of competition delineate the boundaries of fair play. It is my job as a competitor to stay within them and, by doing so, play fairly. If I deliberately cross those lines, I'm making a *moral* decision, perhaps using "competitive advantage" to justify it, but unquestionably no-longer "playing by the rules".

When the majority of opponents are playing contrary to rules - that's not poor sportsmanship, as you are on a level playing field with your fellow opponents

Nope. That's mob mentality. "hey, everyone else is is doing it" doesn't make it "the right thing to do", either.