Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Brand of 22 are you Shooting?

cferree

I've shot a couple of matches with my open gun, and decided to pick up a 22. Whose 22's are y'all shooting? My first pick was a Ruger MK II/II, just because of the number no smith parts available. What other guns are being used? Sig Trailside? New Styer? 1911 coversion kits?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using a Mark III, 22/45 with the mag safety removed, Hogue grips, Clark trigger and PDP3. Other than that, it's a stock gun. I use to use a 1911 conversion but went to the Ruger because of grip angle and I just love the Ultimate Clip Loader.

Question about the removal of the mag safety...I was told that dry firing the Mark III (any rimfire, for that matter) was especially hard on whatever-you-call-it-instead-of-a-firing-pin. Any truth to that?

I don't think that the magazine safety has anything to do with dry firing, other than having to put an empty magazine in place to do it. According to the Ruger manual, you can dry fire a 22/45 as much as you want, as long as the firing pin stop is in place.

Question about the removal of the mag safety...I was told that dry firing the Mark III (any rimfire, for that matter) was especially hard on whatever-you-call-it-instead-of-a-firing-pin. Any truth to that?

I wouldn't worry about dry firing a modern 22/45. I've got one and I dry fired it a few thousand times before it broke the pin in the bolt. I replaced the old style pin with a roll pin from Brownells (a few dollars) and it's perfect. I think the concerns about dry firing rimfires is about older rimfires where the firing pin would actually hit the edge of the chamber. If you dry fired enough it would peen the edge of the chamber, and eventually make cartridges not fit. If you did it enough, you'd have to ream it out to make the gun run again. Buy yourself the replacement roll pin, and dry fire to your heart's content.

Ruger 22/45 with TactSol 4.5 inch upper and SureFire MB556K brake. Optic is C-More and Volquartsen trigger parts. Gun is just unbelievably fast and accurate. I was doing doubles on the 35 yd gong in practice. Thought I was missing till I went down and found the bullets were just all going in the same splat mark.

Ruger Mk II stainless with Tac Sol 5.5" uncompensated barrel with OKO target reflex sight. I can shoot open or metallic by popping off the scope. Obviously the scope would have to be re-sighted in, but the metallic sights remain sighted in.

• 2 weeks later...
I've shot a couple of matches with my open gun, and decided to pick up a 22. Whose 22's are y'all shooting? My first pick was a Ruger MK II/II, just because of the number no smith parts available. What other guns are being used? Sig Trailside? New Styer? 1911 coversion kits?

Stock buckmark now. Future plans to add TS barrel and red dot. Shots any ammo I feed it. Bulk ammo will have one or two bad apples out of about 100.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Buckmark Challenge with a 5.5 inch barrel red w/ silver flutes and a c-more railway. I sold it and bought a TS 2211 conversion and I couldnt do anywhere near as well as the Buckmark. I traded it to the guy I sold my Buckmark and Im getting the Buckmark back tomorrow. I think the Buckmark is the ultimate for Steel Challenge. Good triggers, lightweight, reliable and cheap. I dont ever remember a jam while I was shooting CCI Mini-Mags or Federal Premiums.