Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Brand of 22 are you Shooting?

cferree

Buckmark 5.5 Target (stock bull barrel) with a cheap green dot on top. +1 on CCI Mini-Mags. I was using some old Winchester Super-X (supposedly high-velocity), but the CCI's are much more reliable through my Buckmark.

It's an accurate little gun: this summer, I was volunteering at a range; one night we had a youth group come in and so we set out clays on the 100yd berm for them to shoot with scoped .22 rifles. I was able to get first-shot hits the chunks that were left (admittedly pretty big chunks of pigeon) with the Buckmark with just the irons. If it was big enough to see at 100yd, it was big enough to hit.

I have also shot it at local SC matches with good effect. Love that gun!

-- John.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daughter's gun for rimfire steel challenge:

Ruger 22/45 Mk-III

magazine safety removed

LCI disabled

volquartsen sear and extractor

polished internals

slingshot mod

Coming soon: Cmore railway

Trigger pull came out at 2 lbs 1 oz and crisp. Using a blade-tech DOH holster for 6" 2011 (tried it on a whim and it fits great). Ran 3 bricks of cheap Federal bulk ammo through it for break-in, cleaning after every brick... Zero failures to feed, extract or eject. Had a few duds attributed to the crappy ammo. Currently testing it with CCI mini mags and 100% reliable through the first few hundred.

Kimber stainless II frame, TacSol upper.

Copycat :P

I've got a Caspian frame with a TacSol upper. Kyle shot one mag out of mine after the last steel match then went home and ordered his upper.

I might be shooting a S&W 617 in the next one.

High Standard "The Victor" for me, Mk III 22/45 with 6" TacSol upper for my daughter cause its lighter and its blue.

My experience is no .22rf will run 100%. I shoot SC at Griffin Gun Club and see a bunch of Rugers and Buckmarks, they all choke at least once a match and some at least once a string. The only thing I've seen be dead reliable is a S&W 617 that had not been modified.

YMMV

Paul

Kimber stainless II frame, TacSol upper.

Copycat :P

I've got a Caspian frame with a TacSol upper. Kyle shot one mag out of mine after the last steel match then went home and ordered his upper.

I might be shooting a S&W 617 in the next one.

And I am so glad I did!

BTW.......I have the same shotgun as him too.

and I'm glad I did that too. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I use my wife old Buckmark and added a TS 7.25 barrel, modified Volquartsen V-Comp, adj trigger, TS rail, and currently a red/green TruGlo holo sight. Too cheap to buy a C-More yet and the green is much easier to pick up on bright days. It handles the recommended 40g Mini-Mags and Federals real well but hates several others. My backup gun is my old bullseye gun, a stock S&W 22s that I've modified to take a Volquartsen V-Comp and has a no-name holo that was on the Buckmark previously. It's heavy but it feeds anything.

I started out with this:

Beretta22conversionKit.jpg

Which is a Beretta conversion on a Beretta 92/96 frame.

Then I bought an Advantage Arms conversion kit for the 1911. It originally came with iron sights, but it has morphed into this:

22ConversionPlusCmore.jpg

I like it. A lot! :wub:

I'm shooting a MKIII 22/45 with a C-more on top. I also had a buddy put in the Volquartsen trigger kit. According to my RCBS trigger pull gauge, my trigger pull is now about 1.5 pounds.

I also got a pair of rubberized grip panels from Dominic Notaro (sells after mkt grips for the MKIII) and some of his magazine bumper pads. My gun runs great on CCI 22LR standard velocity.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting a Ruger Mark 2 that I had forever with Volquartsen trigger parts, grip and just added a C More scope after my pro point died after several years of use. Mine runs fine on Federal Bulk pack from Wal Mart. We started shooting Steel Challenge at my home club, MSSA at the end of 09 and the crowd gets larger every match. These little 22's are a blast.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an M41 with a barrel from Billy Abbate and a C-more for open.

Iron Sight I have a stock M41 and 22/45 MKII. The Ruger has a 5" bull barrel and has alot of rounds down the tube.

I have a couple of Marvel 22 uppers that I use from time to time and they run great too.

I have used a Smith 18 4" 6 shot revo and won iron sight 22 at our monthly match in Griffin with it.

I am always in the top 3 with it. It runs 100%

I have used a VERY OLD fixed sighted Ruger standard that is bone stock. It runs 100%.

I have a Ruger 22/45 that is bone stock except the front sight. It runs 100% I placed second in 22ironthis past weekend with it at the GA State Championship match. I had not a single hickup with it this weekend. If I had i would have been third.

I have on order a Volquartsen trigger kit for it.

AND I have a Smith 41. A wonderful gun but can be ammo picky.

I have seen a lot of 22 used.

I have seen a lot of 22's crash and burn.

The Rugers I see that have problems usually have been messed with. If you want to tune the trigger use Volquartsen parts or have someone do it that knows what they are doing.

If you have one that runs leave it the heck alone.

Smith revolvers run if left the hell alone.

Buckmarks are fine when left alone.

Smith 41s are to precise they can be tough to keep running. Thats what I have seen.

The 1911 conversion I have seen are hit or miss. The Tac Sol units are among the best.

All of this is just what I have seen. YMMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The simple fact is though 22 ammo is the real wild card.

• 1 month later...

Stock Buckmark w/Tac Sol 7.25 barrel, machined out Volquartsen V-Comp, adj trigger and currently a modified TruGlo dual LED holo. But I have a C-More on the way. Works good with Fed 550 as practice ammo and CCI MM 40/36 or Win SS RN 40 as match ammo.

I'm shooting a Ruger MKIII 5.5" Stainless Slabside, last year I shot it with irons, this year I have a J Point. I'd like to add a Comp, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Take a look at Volquartsen's website.

I think you'll find something that will work for you.