Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" vs 5"

bbbean

I'm looking at a new Limited gun for next season, and am torn between a couple of exceptionally nice 5" and 6" guns. I'm wondering what the relative pros and cons of going to a 6" gun might be. The advantage of an increased sight radius seems obvious on long shots, but is there a tradeoff in speed on close targets?

All input appreciated.

I'm looking at a new Limited gun for next season, and am torn between a couple of exceptionally nice 5" and 6" guns. I'm wondering what the relative pros and cons of going to a 6" gun might be. The advantage of an increased sight radius seems obvious on long shots, but is there a tradeoff in speed on close targets?

All input appreciated.

With a properly built 6" you may notice better sight picture on longer targets. I noticed no real difference in performance on targets 15yds and in. Also, The front sight "feels" as though it recovers slightly quicker with my 6" gun.

Nothing wrong with a well built 5" though.

The cycling of the two are a bit different, but I can't think of anything that a 5 can do that a 6 can't do, but a 6 is better in some areas, namely longer and/or tighter shots.

But, you need to know, I drank the koolaid ;)

I experimented with both. Had Benny Hill lighten the 6" slide(helped alot!). The only advantages I found the 6" had was the extended sight radius and the gun was easier to load for major(less powder :) . Too keep things short I ended up with a 5" bushing barrel gun with a Lighten slide and switched over to the GI style guide rod & plug.

After my first season with a 6" I've seen real improvement. It's lighter than my 5" and that seems to be working well for me. I drilled a 6" plate at about 35 yards through an awkward port during my first or second match with the gun. I'm much more accurate with the 6" than my 5" at that distance. As for up close stuff, I shot a 16.7 HF on a stage a couple weeks ago and won the stage. I'm sold on the lightened 6" for limited.

I had Tripp build me a 5" gun. Now granted, I'm not much of a shooter, but I wanted a lot of flexibility for the money... so I did a bull and bushing barrel, 2 guide rods, 2 mag wells and was out an extra $400. I can use the same gun for IDPA, USPSA, and steel with only a barrel and magwell change. I'm VERY pleased with my decision and figure if I ever improve enough to warrant another race gun, I'll pick up a 6".

S.

Edited by Sethmark

I'll be shooting my new 6" Dan Bedell custom for the first time today. In the hand, it is lighter than my current SV and the way Dan cut the gun it fits my hand better than my current SV. I do like the longer sight radius which should improve accuracy and with any luck, I'll be able to use a little less powder to make major resulting in a softer shooting gun. The day Dan sent me my gun he called me and said every time he builds one of these 6" guns, he wishes he could keep it for himself. He feels that the gun is a much softer shooter than a 5" gun.

Edited by PatD

I have been shooting a 5 in SV for about 10 plus years. About 2 years ago a friend (Howard Smith) loaned me a lightened 6 in STI that he just built and said shoot it for a while. I did and fell in love with it. A 6 in gun will do everthing a 5 in gun will do and so much more. Get the 6 in. gun .

Darryl

I have been shooting a 5 in SV for about 10 plus years. About 2 years ago a friend (Howard Smith) loaned me a lightened 6 in STI that he just built and said shoot it for a while. I did and fell in love with it. A 6 in gun will do everthing a 5 in gun will do and so much more. Get the 6 in. gun .

Darryl

Just for the record, I did opt for a 6" gun by Jim Anglin (bought it in the classifieds here). Shot it in a match this weekend, and while I'm going to need some trigger time to feel as comfortable with it as I do my 5" guns, it is exceptionally sweet. In point of fact, the gun is built so well that its hard to say how much of the gun's performance is due to the longer barrel and sight radius and how much is the superb build.

There's no question long shots are easier. Now if I can just remind myself to use the sights on close shots!

Darryl

Just for the record, I did opt for a 6" gun by Jim Anglin (bought it in the classifieds here). Shot it in a match this weekend, and while I'm going to need some trigger time to feel as comfortable with it as I do my 5" guns, it is exceptionally sweet. In point of fact, the gun is built so well that its hard to say how much of the gun's performance is due to the longer barrel and sight radius and how much is the superb build.

There's no question long shots are easier. Now if I can just remind myself to use the sights on close shots!

Bingo. I just got a used gun from Rich at Canyon Creek and it is beyond sweet. My timing is a bit off as I've only put a few hundred through it so far, but it is great.