Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally Did It... Winged the Chrono

ChrisStock

I used to wonder what kind of knob would/could shoot their own chrono. Yesterday at the range while testing out a dozen or so different loads I managed to wing the chrono pretty good.

The tripod I bought with it is a piece of garbage, and has been a source of frustration since day one. All 3 legs have broken off and been reattached. Well, one of them let go in the split second I squeezed the shot off... I had a thousandth of a second from when the shot was going off until it happened... I hit one of the rods holding the skyscreens, leaving a nice "U" shaped bend in it, and of course the force of the rod being dinged at 1,000 FPS by a 180GR JHP put a nice gouge in the chrono. Sonofabitch. Now the chrono only reports back on 8 of the 10 shots in a string, seriously skewing my stats, and I hear loose plastic rattling around inside.

I avoided the shame of a direct hit to the unit, but this was bad enough.

Some days you're the hammer, some days the nail. :wacko:

One of my buddies was chronoing loads for his new-to-him G-lock, and hadn't quite figured out the 'different' trigger yet. With ~ 10 people standing around talking, I was the only one who saw him shoot his chrono. Being he's a good friend I knew I shouldn't say anything, and I didn't. Instead, I YELLED, "Hey everybody, xxxx just shot his chrono!"

did a search for chrono and tofu

got these...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46043

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51549

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38833

and one of my favorite posts here on this forum.

Happens to be lady-in-blue, these two lines are classic.

Oh puhleeeeze...you talk about it like it was your favorite dog.

ps. Sweetheart, you spelled faithful wrong.

I feel your pain. I put a 375JDJ round through my chrony about 15 years ago. Damn scoped pistol offset.

Thanks.

This was all done with a handgun at 8 feet. Never touched it with the .308Win or the .338LM scoped rifles. :roflol:

Go figure. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

My chrono has been shot three times. I winged one of the plastic vertical supports with a 9X19. It just melted a bit of plastic, the support still worked. Until a friend clocked the support and sky screen with a .45ACP. And last time out another friend literally sliced a sky screen in half with a .223, he could not have done a better job if he actually tried to hit it. Thankfully parts are cheap.