Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold weather tips

Z32MadMan

Wool socks, long underwear, a big water repellent warm coat with a hood, gloves, etc, all that.

I try to stay as warm as I can all bundled up but when its my turn to shoot I loose the big coat and gloves. I have never had much luck shooting with gloves on. Generally if they are thick enough to keep my hands warm they are to thick for shooting. I have even tried gloves of the shooting variety but my hands still got cold.

I really like the "hot hands". There are foot warmers, body heaters and hand warmer sized packets that when exposed to air generate heat. These things last 6-12 hours depending on which application you choose.

Usually find them with the hunting supplies at chain stores.

Not that cold yet... at least not in NE Kansas. When it does though, use thin glove liners like those you get for skiing. Something to block the cold wind helps.

When it gets below 20 deg F, break out the 9mm Glock with 140 mm mags-Arredondo extenders. Plastic grip, plastic mags don't transfer the cold to your bare or lightly insulated hands. Also with 23+1 capacity, it limits how much equipment you need to manipulate while exposed to the cold.

Here's some advice from ---- Northern Florida! Okay, okay so the locals' idea of cold is 60 degrees but I grew up in Green Bay and lived in Wisconsin most of my life. I know cold! :ph34r:

Dress in layers. For your top, a turtle neck from L. L Bean or Duluth with a long sleeve polo shirt over that. This allows great ease of movement while shooting. Add a thick fleece pullover or down vest under a ski jacket and you're set for between actual runs. Have a long enough coat to cover your shootin' iron and it will stay warm enough to avoid function problems.

Some good long underwear from Underarmor or equal with your favorite shooting pants will keep your legs warm. If it is really cold either bag the match and head for the bar :cheers: or add some ski pants.

A warm ski cap pulled down over your ears if possible, good gloves with thinsulate or equal and warm socks should keep all those parts well. Remember that a major portion of your body heat is lost through your head so a warm hat is vital.

When I shoot I shuck the gloves for the actual run along with any vests, pullovers and coats as the shooter before me is making his or her run.. It is not the run that will make you cold it is all the time in between especially when you're not moving.

If all of this doesn't work, then move to Florida where a cold day is in the 60's. :roflol:

Edited by XD Niner

For this frigid time of year I consider switching from shorts to long pants. :roflol: :roflol:

Oh, how I miss those early mornings in St. Louis on match days as I put thermal undies on and hoped that the sleet would stop before the match started.

NOT!

As others have said, layering is the answer.

Gloves and handwarmers. GOOD gloves.

It doesn't matter how warm your head and feet are...if you cannot feel your fingers you are not going to shoot well.

I use disposable handwarmers but am on the prowl for something better.

And +1 to what Chris said. Share the work that requires a bare hand.

wool socks are a must. Along with decent boots to support them.

Layers are a great suggestion.

I am a devout believer in Under Armour cold gear. Doesn't interfere with my shooting and yet protects me well from the cold. I don't have an Under Armour body, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night so that should help.

J

Wideload, I noticed where you are located at. Which clubs do you shoot with, trying to figure if I know you in person. lol Joe Wilson here, MD at The Bullet Hole.

Matt Cheely, I shoot indoors and find it as cold if not colder than shooting outdoors thanks to the air handler system having a constant flow of air across the range. LOL Thank goodness for those torpedo heaters the range provides for us to huddle in front of during the winter.

Joe W.

Matt Cheely, I shoot indoors and find it as cold if not colder than shooting outdoors thanks to the air handler system having a constant flow of air across the range.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. There is a private indoor range 5 minutes from the house. The AHU uses only indoor conditioned air for circulation so it's always warm :)

N Fla here. When it gets below 60, I wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt. If it is cold and windy I will add a wind shirt.

I happen to know that Jaxshooter is not telling the whole truth......he has added flames to the grip of his open gun to keep his hands warm :cheers:

Thermal underware don't work for me so I tried wearing sweats under my jeans (I forget who told me about this) and that keeps me so much warmer. Nothing that I have tried keeps my feet warm except staying inside and even that doesn't work sometimes!!! I used to work outside all winter doing construction inspection and documentation.

Richard

PS: I wear a lined windbreaker tucked in so that I can take my overcoat off while shooting and still have protection from the wind.

Edited by chirpy

I went to REI to look at their underarmor stuff. The guy who helped me out said that their brand of long sleeve fleece shirt was better. Thinking he get's a spiff on it, I got both the underarmor and the house brand REI shirt. The REI is better, and was about 40% of the price of the UA. It's thin enough to wear underneath your regular shirts and it keeps me very warm. Anything above 50-55 degrees and it gets too warm.

Matt, the owners of the range I shoot at need to get in touch with the owners of the range you shoot at and get us one of those air handler systems. lol I actually have found that my shooting gets better when it is cold. My splits tend to be faster than I can get the gun where I want it sometimes but when I can't squeeze the trigger that fast the gun gets where it needs to be before I can get the next round off. lol

Joe W.

I went to REI to look at their underarmor stuff. The guy who helped me out said that their brand of long sleeve fleece shirt was better. Thinking he get's a spiff on it, I got both the underarmor and the house brand REI shirt. The REI is better, and was about 40% of the price of the UA. It's thin enough to wear underneath your regular shirts and it keeps me very warm. Anything above 50-55 degrees and it gets too warm.

Yeah I should have clarified. The compression underwwear is what I'm a fan of. Under Armour started it and that's probably what I own the most of. But I too have noticed that several retailers and mfgr's have broght out their own lines - many with the same or better quality at half the price.

J