Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp-Tac or Blade Tech ?

55fmj

I use the Blade-Tech for 3-Gun / Multi-Gun matches and find it very secure. I have not had a mag fall out or the gun even come close to moving while running around. The gear really takes a beating with being banged against barricades , trees, going prone, etc and it still looks good. Both companies make great stuff you can't go wrong with either one.

Both make great products, Comptac has great service and you immediately get to talk or email with someone who is pretty much an expert and can help if you have something odd. Like discussing body types and holster retention options. I am trying to be nice to Bladetech and they really do have great products but they have an ongoing problem with allowing complete idiots who are totally clueless about guns and holsters answer emails and phonecalls. Once you finally get through to someone who actually knows what a holster does you can generally get what you need.

I have and like both as far a product goes. I ordered a DOH and got it in about 3 weeks. Friendly and helpful folks. I ordered a comp tac and pouches on tuesday and got them on thursday, I liked the mag pouch so much I called and ordered another one, I got that one monday. Friendly and helpful folks. Guess who I call next time.-----------Larry

Called CompTac asking about a DOH for my 6"FF, no-go. But I did talk to someone right away. Called BladeTech, got the "I dunno... Uh, lemme transfer you to ____ he is a who makes them and can tell you". Got his voicemail, left name and number. That was about a month ago now, still haven't heard from BT.

Sure wish CompTac made a DOH for a 6" limited gun, they would already have my $$$.

Ken, Call Blade Tech and order a DOH for a 6 in STI Eagle. Eagle, Edge ect they understand, its in the catalogue. Fat Free limited gun, long wide dust cover ect is greek to a young lady who never shot a pistol in her life. I called Comp Tac and asked if they could make a holster for a Eagle, just make it a inch longer, that they could do, just take longer and had a custom price, The DOH part was a no go.------------------Larry

Edited by Larry White

I've got both-the quality/design of each is excellent. Comp-Tac customer service is outstanding, while Blade Tech's is erratic. I believe that is due to the size of the companies-it's difficult for a company the size of Blade Tech to find and retain enough people who know what their doing to man the phones and e-mail. If the knowledgeable people answer phones and e-mail they won't have time for anything else. The only reason I keep buying Blade Tech is that I really like the Tek Lok system, and I haven't found anyone else with an equivalent. Blade Tech will do just about anything on a custom basis (if you can find the right person to talk to) but you will have to wait forever.

IMO there is nothing better than Blade Tech. There may me something just as good, but I've been very happy with all the Blade Tech products I've used. I shoot their holsters in every division but open, which I don't shoot. If you call and get someone who doesn't know what holster fits an STI with a LDC, just realize that this is only a small part of their business. Just like any other company, they have people who specialize in different products. As far as I know, Bobby McGee is the competition rep. I have always called and asked for him, and I have always gotten great CS.

Hello: The Comp-Tac holsters seem to allow you to draw quicker than the Blade Tech for some reason. I can't tell you why but the just do. The Comp-Tac holsters also have more area for the front sight so that they will not rub on the front sight. I also wish Comp-Tac would make a DOH type holster for a 6" STI 2011. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
... I also wish Comp-Tac would make a DOH type holster for a 6" STI 2011...

I sent them an email asking about this a couple of weeks ago. I was told they've looked into it but there is nothing planned right now. To me there is no comparison of the quality of the holster itself. The only advantage I can see with the BT is the attachment system.

I have and like both --- but Comp-Tac's service speed beats Blade-Tech's at this point in time if you need something built to order....

OTOH, if you can find the BT gear you need in stock at a supplier --- I wouldn't hesitate to grab it. I just don't think you should have to wait weeks to get kydex...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got several other Comp-tac holsters which are great.

I ended getting blade-tech for my Glock to shoot production but had to do some serious modification to get it to fit my tall Dawson front sight.

Anyone have experience with Comp-tac holsters with the tall Dawson front sight?

Thx.

I have owned/used a PILE of product from both Blade-tech and Comp-tac. As already stated several times above, Comp-tac service is unbeatable. As for quality, it's coin toss. I feel like Comp-tac's mag pouches are quite a bit better than Blade-tech's but in the holster department, there's really no advantage of one over the other imho. The Blade-tech holsters can be a little more versatile, if you go with one that will accept multiple attachment configurations (SRB, DOH, tech-loc etc). But the Comp-tac product seems to utilize slightly better quality materials. It all boils down to what is most important to you and what best suits your personal needs.

As I type this, I'm wearing a Blade-tech holster and a Comp-tac mag pouch. You don't have to commit to just one brand. B)

Well, for my money, if you want a holster with good retention, a real good choice is a Blackhawk Serpa. It has an integral lock that keeps the pistol in place. When you draw, you extended index finger naturally goes right to the release and the pistol comes out very fast.

I've got several other Comp-tac holsters which are great.

I ended getting blade-tech for my Glock to shoot production but had to do some serious modification to get it to fit my tall Dawson front sight.

Anyone have experience with Comp-tac holsters with the tall Dawson front sight?

Thx.

No direct experience, but Comp-Tac has been very responsive to my needs. If you send them an e-mail or call 'em, they'll get back to you and let you know what's possible....

I use the BT DOH for production and a Comp-Tac belt holster for single stack. I think they are both equally secure. I picked the DOH because I like the way it sits and I got a killer deal here on the forums (Thanks, Turtle!). When I decided to build a new SS rig I found BTs lead time a bit much so I gave Comp-Tac a call and had a good holster in 2 days! They were great on the phone making sure that I got what I needed. I have only dealt with BT on the web site and that worked fine.

Later,

Chuck