Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Economy & Shooting

kimel

With gas prices dropping, for now, but everyone's portfolio in the toilet and lots of folks facing down the grim reality for foreclosure, loss of their jobs, etc. things are looking a bit grim.

Looking forward to 2009 how do you think all this will affect your participation in our sport?

Nothing I've seen so far has changed for me. As of now I'm not going to increase or decrease any area of my shooting. Things may change but shooting is the only hobby I have and as long as I take care of my equipment I shouldn't have to buy much in the coming year.

I'm definitely moving some things from my need column to my want column. But I am a firm believer that you have to budget some fun in there if you can. I plan on shooting more matches next year than this, but I expect I will be more selective about which matches I choose.

Shooting is my therapy and release. I'll need it more than ever. There are many things that will go before I give up shooting.

+1

If I lay off the Haagen-Dazs that will pay for all my bullets :)

I will shoot fewer majors, and only do the ones close to home. I plan on still doing:

Michigan Sectional (MD'ing / Shooting)

Area 5 (Just Shooting)

Michigan Shotgun/3 Gun Championships (Just Shooting)

Triangle IPSC Match in Ontario (RO'ing / Shooting)

Maybe Ohio - If they have one (Don't know)

Maybe Area 6 (Just Shooting)

Other than that, it will be local matches only. We have a great club, Capital City, that does some great matches, and my home club, Livingston, is no slouch either, so it will be all good. Might make a trip up to our northern Michigan Club, Antrim Sand Pit Shooters, to take in the match, and make a family weekend of it next summer too. The economy will get better, we just need to downsize as our budget allows.

Edited by Barrettone

I wanted to add the WSSSC and SS Nats to the surrounding IDPA State matches I already shoot. Both are 14+ hour drives and two day matches. That probably won't happen now.

I used to drive past local matches to go to better matches up to 2.5 - 3 hours away. I'll shoot the local lower speed ones now, but I'm still shooting two matches each weekend. One close, one distant.

If I hanker after a new piece, some old ones I don't shoot any more will have to go, but that's only if I can find a buyer in this rotten economy.

Being salaried, short of losing my job, the money coming in is about the same, and I have my rainy day fund squared away.

I'll probably go to a couple more majors, mainly because I've never shot the venues, and have friends to go with.

I don't have any plans for major gun acquisitions (do stock glocks count? :rolleyes: )

Similar to Kevin. Gun-wise, I pretty much have what I want. I'm finally back home and back with folks I consider friends that I want to shoot with. Heck...I just agreed to a counter offer on a house today and plan on proposing to my girlfriend in about a month. For both of us, our situations are pretty normal. In the event of something bad, well...we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. She's in a field where not much changes. Me...I'll be alright.

Rich

Since I am not working right now and the investments are not doing so good, my expenditures have been significantly reduced. I skipped a local match last weekend, and I will skip the locals this weekend. Try to make my home club's match next weekend.

Lee

The good thing is that the price of bullets should go down, as copper is now in the $1.80 range and lead is also down. It will be interesting of the prices come down fairly quickly, but I doubt it since the manufatures purchased the components at the higher price and they will have to recoup the price. If and when they do go down I will make sure to build up a supply to last at least 5 years worth of shooting.

I won't be shooting any less. Actually will try to increase shooting by trying other sports. I am getting into sporting clays, since it is the only shooting avail in my town. So it cuts down on driving.

I will shoot as many major matches in Texas as possible. I have started shooting more 3 gun and some IDPA to fill out my schedule. As long as we are working in the oilfield, I will be shooting some kind of match.

I don't think there will be any major gun purchases made. I have just about all the divisions in any sport covered. Maybe a decent over under for clays. They aren't big fans of my 3 gun shotguns.

Mike

'08 was a strange year for me shooting wise. I shot much less than ever but for a whole host of reasons.

I hope that '09 will be back up to a more respectable # of matches. I hope the only effect "the economy" has on my life is on my 401k. :(

The economy isnt the reason my shooting has changed drastically. I moved from Hawaii to Virginia this year so the differences are related to that.

Hawaii:

Local match every weekend (almost)

Only one maybe two level 2's

Zero practice

Travel wasn't happening as flying was only option.

Virginia:

No local matches nearest is 2 hours away and requires a reservation which I keep missing so if I am lucky I might shoot 5 or 6 next year.

Lots of Level II's and III's within weekend trip driving distance. I will probably shoot more of them than Level I's.

Practice anytime I want as I have a range in my back yard.

Gear issue I'll spend more on bullets but zero to little on guns and gear as I am finally set with guns and rig I am happy with which should last a long long time.

Shooting is my therapy and release. I'll need it more than ever. There are many things that will go before I give up shooting.

+ to infinity

Without shooting all the stress I deal with at work just wouldn't be manageable. I'm a sales manager for a new home builder, so I think everyone knows how the last year or so has been for me :wacko:

Edited by baerburtchell

While my match schedule will remain woefully low I'm taking NO chances on the election.I've already ordered an extra AR15 CAA CBS ,extra STI & MP mags & myself & some other shooting buds are putting out 5.56 Wolff ammo & Powder Valley powder & primer orders. Fool me once (1994) shame on you,fool me twice (2009) shame on me.If we have a DEM sweep count on the promised new AWB with teeth,a heatlth care tax on ammo & components & NO replacement bodies for high-cap mags.MY advice is lay off the guns,unless you need an AR or shotgun for 3 G

un,& stockpile mags,ammo & reloading components .

PS.If you are rich(really rich not BHO rich) buy any & everything you want!

While my match schedule will remain woefully low I'm taking NO chances on the election.I've already ordered an extra AR15 CAA CBS ,extra STI & MP mags & myself & some other shooting buds are putting out 5.56 Wolff ammo & Powder Valley powder & primer orders. Fool me once (1994) shame on you,fool me twice (2009) shame on me.If we have a DEM sweep count on the promised new AWB with teeth,a heatlth care tax on ammo & components & NO replacement bodies for high-cap mags.MY advice is lay off the guns,unless you need an AR or shotgun for 3 G

un,& stockpile mags,ammo & reloading components .

PS.If you are rich(really rich not BHO rich) buy any & everything you want!

Good advise

I have sold all of my pistols, rifles and all high cap magazines for all weapons I previously possessed. I currently own no firearms, reloading equipment or components, or archery equipment of any kind. I have throw all of my knives and any other edged objects that could possibly be used for injury to a person into the Mariana Trench and have only a single butter knife left in my home.

I urge that no one consider any action that would attempt to circumvent any future laws, controls, recommendations or rulings from possible future governmental leadership.

:ph34r:

I have sold all of my pistols, rifles and all high cap magazines for all weapons I previously possessed. I currently own no firearms, reloading equipment or components, or archery equipment of any kind. I have throw all of my knives and any other edged objects that could possibly be used for injury to a person into the Mariana Trench and have only a single butter knife left in my home.

I urge that no one consider any action that would attempt to circumvent any future laws, controls, recommendations or rulings from possible future governmental leadership.

LMAO

A man with foresight I see

I am planning on going to more big matches, but the answer is a little misleading because I just never went to them before and now I am trying to start.

I have been stocking up on mags. Currently my time is limited enough, that money isn't THAT big of a factor in my shooting. I am trying to organize some group practices over the winter. (I am in Minnesota, and it's easy to end up not shooting for a few months).

Next summer I am going to try and get a car pool together for some matches. Damn near everyone I see is driving alone still...

Me too.

However, I shot in 5 major matches this year (no humans or animals were injured in these events) before I reformed and rejected all instuments of potential havoc.

I expect next year to be about the same.

I may not be as willing to travel quite as far as in past years.

I think I will stick to matches within 200 miles.

(Assuming, of course that I can borrow a handgun water pistol to be used under close supervision and returned promptly to it's owner.)

Tls

Moving to NM has been the reason for my change in shooting activity this year. Not the increase in prices. I plan to shoot more next year now that I am settled in. I bought two new blasters this year. One of which I just received and the other in the matter of a month or so. So I would have to agree with those that say that it is "therapy" and that other things will go before my hobby. ;)

Well, since most of my practice is in my dryfiring dojo I don't see the economy affecting that. All of my ammo for 2009 is loaded and packed away, and I have enough parts and mags for my G34 to last me two lifetimes. Shooting 9mm definitely helps out in the economics of scale and shooting.

At a worst case scenario, I may skip out on more local matches to save money for the Area matches. Carpooling will be a must, and finding a roommate to split the hotel cost is definitely going to continue.

The good thing is that the price of bullets should go down, as copper is now in the $1.80 range and lead is also down. It will be interesting of the prices come down fairly quickly, but I doubt it since the manufatures purchased the components at the higher price and they will have to recoup the price. If and when they do go down I will make sure to build up a supply to last at least 5 years worth of shooting.

I would make that 8 years and 67 days worth off supplies if I where you! Then find a waterproof container to fit them in.