Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun or Reload Press?

Lanzo

I'm new to USPSA and soon to be new to IDPA as of this saturday. Currently I am shooting my Glock 21SF in Limited 10. I have three matches under my belt, not much, but I've won one trophy for best Unclassified in Lim 10 (second match). I've always loved guns, but discovering this sport has been one of the greatest treats of my life so far. The people are truly amazing and I feel I've met many that I can call friends and mean it. Great, great people for sure. Unfortunately I'll have to take a complete break from shooting for up to 6 months very soon, but when I get back I have the chance to get either a new gun or a reload press as a gift.

My question is which would you choose? The Gun will be the more expensive item for sure (some kind of STI from Bravo Customs maybe. I like the Brazo SC series Po SC Limited) but should I just stick with my Glock and get a Dillon XL 650. If I got either item I could just buy the other. If I went that route getting the gun and buying the press would be my best bet I think. I'm still not sure on the gun either though. I know I want to stay in the Limited or L-10 class and I think I would be much faster with a single action ST/SVI platform. I just don't know enough about SVI's to "build" one. There GunBuilder just plain overwhelms the hell out of me.

What would you guys do?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lanzo,

I am also new to USPSA (just received my membership card in today's mail). Fortunately, I was reloading before I started in USPSA, using a Hornady lock-N-load progressive press. I really want to buy a S&W M&P, but chose instead to put my money into a casefeeder for the lock-n-load. While I still want the M&P, I am glad I chose to spend the money on reloading equipment. I recommend you buy the press first, that way you will be able to feed whatever new guns you buy in the future.

My vote goes to the loader as well. Feeding the monster is more important than having more monsters that are hungry! IF you will continue shooting at the same rate you shoot presently, you could do what I used to do which was everytime I used reloads, I paid into a "slush" fund in my safe the savings over factory ammo. This worked well for a while & helped me build a nice little pile of money to buy either another gun, or larger quantity purchases for more reloading. In recent years, I quit doing that but if I had continued, I would have a big chunk of money for something.

MLM

I'm new to USPSA and soon to be new to IDPA as of this saturday. Currently I am shooting my Glock 21SF in Limited 10. I have three matches under my belt, not much, but I've won one trophy for best Unclassified in Lim 10 (second match). I've always loved guns, but discovering this sport has been one of the greatest treats of my life so far. The people are truly amazing and I feel I've met many that I can call friends and mean it. Great, great people for sure. Unfortunately I'll have to take a complete break from shooting for up to 6 months very soon, but when I get back I have the chance to get either a new gun or a reload press as a gift.

My question is which would you choose? The Gun will be the more expensive item for sure (some kind of STI from Bravo Customs maybe. I like the Brazo SC series Po SC Limited) but should I just stick with my Glock and get a Dillon XL 650. If I got either item I could just buy the other. If I went that route getting the gun and buying the press would be my best bet I think. I'm still not sure on the gun either though. I know I want to stay in the Limited or L-10 class and I think I would be much faster with a single action ST/SVI platform. I just don't know enough about SVI's to "build" one. There GunBuilder just plain overwhelms the hell out of me.

What would you guys do?

Edit to add my comments which somehow didn't get added....d'oh.

I'd get the loader. It's not sexy, but it will let you shoot more and get better, quicker. Not only that, but it takes a while to find out what you need (not want) in a gun. For example, 6" Limited guns are very popular now (with good reason from what I've seen) and you can only get them from certain gunsmiths (Brazos doesn't appear to be one of them). The more matches you shoot, the more you'll be exposed to different guns and probably get to shoot a bunch of them so that you'll be better able to make a gun choice that will enhance your shooting. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I would also go with the press and a whole bunch of components. I shoot a G21 in Limited 10 as well (recently switched to open) and it served me very well. Make a whole bunch of rounds and shoot the crap out of it. Then further down the road you can switch guns and you already have the press set up. Just my $.02

I have to agree with all the other posters get the press and don't skimp you'll end up having the press far longer than most individual guns. I nice 650 set up right and you'll never have to buy another again. It will save you money in the long run.

Another vote to buy, specifically a Dillon 550 or better. Any saved money, buy components in bulk. Primers, powder and bullets. I would rather have a handfull of guns I shoot the snot out of, than have a bunch of pretty guns I can hardly afford to shoot.

Trust me, you will change your stance on what you "think" you want now, later down the road many times. One purchase I have NEVER regretted, was my Dillon progressive press. It will more than hold you over for now and you will get a better sense of what you "really" want in a blaster after more matches under your belt and better exposure and expoerience to what actually works and runs out there.

I was going to be greedy and say get the gun as a gift and save for the press but on second thought get the press, check out the local clubs (both USPSA and IDPA - use the club finder option. And also check out the rules). Visit during matches and also on practice day(s). Ask a lot of questions and look a lot and maybe try some guns out and then decide and save. Single Stack (my roots from 30 years ago) and CDP is a hoot for me. Haven't tried Production or Stock Service because I don't own one yet but I know I can buy several to try at the same price I can buy one full blown Limited gun and tuned mags.

JMHO (one of many!)

Richard

Another vote to buy, specifically a Dillon 550 or better. Any saved money, buy components in bulk. Primers, powder and bullets. I would rather have a handfull of guns I shoot the snot out of, than have a bunch of pretty guns I can hardly afford to shoot.

Trust me, you will change your stance on what you "think" you want now, later down the road many times. One purchase I have NEVER regretted, was my Dillon progressive press. It will more than hold you over for now and you will get a better sense of what you "really" want in a blaster after more matches under your belt and better exposure and expoerience to what actually works and runs out there.

Well stated reasoning..... :cheers:

About 7 or so years ago, when the future for gun owners was not quite as "up in the air" as it is now, my sister-in-law asked me what to get her hubby for Christmas...a G22 or a 650. The price was about the same.

I told her that he can use my 650 whenever he wants to...buy him the gun because you might not be able to buy guns in the future.

I see I'm very outnumbered, and my reasoning is pretty simple, I still say buy the gun now, and a sh!tload of magazines. They'll be outlawed long before a press.

And you can use my press whenever you want to!!

Neither, buy bullets. You can sell them next year for enough of a profit to buy both the gun and the press.

Lead price sour grapes aside, pay attention to the responses. The press. Beginning shooters with fancy 1911/2011 guns are fine, but if you really want to see what the game has to offer, shooting is where it is at. For anecdotal evidence, I would imagine that Angus Hobdell hasn't seriously practiced with an M&P in his life yet, but I saw him put down a 1.7 second Smoke and Hope with one on Tuesday. Was it the gun or the man, and if it was the man, was it because he exclusively shoots fancy guns (he doesn't) or because he shoots a hell of a lot?

H.

To put the above in simpler terms - you get good at what you do.

If you shoot lots with a Glock, you'll be good at shooting a Glock (with plenty of crossover to other pistols, Angus shoots CZ's by the way).

If you don't shoot lots, its really hard to get good. BUT one need a decent tool to start with.

My .02: get the gun you really like and the press and crank out lots-o-ammo and shoot every week.

back in the mists of time before the earth cooled, I worked all the overtime I could get. I bought myself a present; a Dillon RL1050. If I recall correctly it cost $750, so now you have an idea how long ago it was. I have loaded well over 100,000 rds of .45ACP, .38Spl and 9x23. Not many rounds as some 1050 owners go. But I still have it. It will be in service well after I am gone.

I agree wholeheartedly with the many who say, buy the press. ANY Dillon. Heck, scoop the Dillon SDB for sale in the classifieds. You will start saving money now and Dillon will keep it in good working order FOREVER! As the one responder did, each 50 you load, put away the amount of $ you saved by reloading. You will quickly have the $ for you Brazos or whatever you ultimately decide upon.

You may change your mind about what pistol you want but you will never regret buying a Dillon reloader.

And no, I do not get commission from Dillon Precision.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne

I would go with the gun you can always get a reloader...given the political risk at present, I would nail down the gun as quickly as possible....plus even though I reload and have presses already, I tend to buy bulk ammo by the 1000 for competitive shooting and reload only for practice...

When I started on this sport 6 to 7 years ago, I called Brian Enos and he suggest to

get the reloader. Enough said. I enjoyed single stack for 7 months and then I got my

first brand new open gun for Jojo Vidanez. Until today, I can never out shoot the gun.

Edited by shooterbenedetto