Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Shoot Bid

BritinUSA

According to the IPSC Global Village, both USA and Greece have submitted bids for the next World Shoot in 2011.

The last time I was in Greece was for the European Championships in 1998 (I think). They built a range in Crete on top of a mountain. Greece has some significant advantages over USA with regard to a bid. Travel to Greece from Europe is cheap, most Europeans can move around Europe without mucking about with permits (or even passports for that matter).

Hotels are in abundance and if the WS was held out of season, say September or October then prices fall rapidly for travel and hotel costs. I would anticipate that a large number of European RD's may go for the Greek route especially if cost is an issue for their members.

Food for thought.

Good luck to USA, I hope we get it here.

From what I read there, if there are candidates before the World Shoot, more entries are not accepted from the floor, so it looks like whoever stumps up a 'we plan to bid' soon is going to be the whole list.

Europe has a lot of RDs, but so does Central & S. America. It'll be an awesome match either way.

I'm down for Greece even though in the US would be awesome if only to piss off those that insist our World Championship be held a gnat's hair above Afghanistan with regards to conditions (I'm kidding).

Heck...I'd have to almost stay an extra week or so and shoot some matches in Europe if it worked out...like shooting 2-3 matches BEFORE Area 2 when in AZ! :D

Rich

Greece is bar none one of the best places I have ever traveled to. Strike that. It is the best place I've ever traveled to.

I'm a patriot, but a world shoot in Greece may actually get me to go shoot a world shoot!

J

Greece is fine, :cheers: Anywhere you can go and not have to worry about some exotic disease or disentary or a bunch of 3rd world terrorist buttheads is ok. But what will poor Vince do...what will poor Vince do?

Dysentery can be a problem no matter where you go, but usually less so in countries with cleaner running water. It the unfamiliar bacterias in the area that get me. I've gotten dysentary in a lot of 1st world countries, but it goes away after my body adjusts.

As for terrorism, Greece has it's share. About the same as the US now, but it used to be really bad in the late 80s to 90s.

Considering all of the discussion about ammo, I would have thought that would be the first question on everyone's mind.

Considering all of the discussion about ammo, I would have thought that would be the first question on everyone's mind.

What does the location of the match have to do with anything? Isn't the problem airline restrictions, so you gotta ship your own ammo ahead or buy unfamiliar ammo when you get there. That would apply if the world shoot was held in Tulsa too, right?

<_<

What does the location of the match have to do with anything? Isn't the problem airline restrictions, so you gotta ship your own ammo ahead or buy unfamiliar ammo when you get there. That would apply if the world shoot was held in Tulsa too, right?

Airline limits plus US State Department limitations - there are some countries where you just can't get a permit to export ammo to, or where there are onerous import requirements.

Airline limits plus US State Department limitations - there are some countries where you just can't get a permit to export ammo to, or where there are onerous import requirements.

Let's face it.... no matter where it is it's going to be a pain in the ass for some. It's not like I have to worry about it though. :D

<_<

Shipping items of any type into some countries is more problematic than others. Yes the Airlines and US Dept of State have restrictions. If however we know where and when the WS is and we get USPSA HQ to pull support duty by arranging for a container to be shipped,most of the trouble will evaporate. Everyone from the US should be able to ship their ammo to the consolidator and get it shipped to the WSW site. We need a scheudle that allows for more than the normal tie-ups due to red tape and shipping snafus.

Jim

Something cropped up on GV.

ATF website says the following in their Form 6NIA FAQ:

Q33. Are there any restrictions on the types of guns I can bring into the United States for hunting or for a shooting competition?

A. Yes. You may not bring in semiautomatic assault weapons unless they previously were in the United States on or before September 13, 1994; large capacity ammunition feeding devices (which generally include magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition) made after September 13, 1994; unregistered National Firearms Act weapons (which include machineguns, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, and silencers); U.S. government origin firearms or firearms that contain U.S. government origin manufactured parts or components; and firearms from certain proscribed countries. If you think the items you wish to import may be affected by these restrictions, please contact the Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch.

The FAQ was updated 8/31/06, after the AW sunset.

Can the USPSA find a way around this?

Flex,

reloading is not allowed in Greece, but I have been attending a match there in 2003, and several teammates have been there later on: you are allowed to bring your own reloads there.

While it looks like Greek citizens and other living in Greece are prohibited from reloading their own ammo, every other nation's competitors would appear to be OK as far as bringing in their own ammo - correct?

Even so, a friend described a problem he had with TSA some time back; they did not want to let his 11 lbs of ammo on the plane because it was stored in plastic reloading boxes marked with his own lables. Certain TSA idiots were used to seeing only factory ammo boxes and they protested until their manager stepped in and exercised some common sense.

While I won't be going to Greece, I would probably pack my reloads in some sort of factory packaging just to keep the TSA (and possibly the Greek authorities) from complaining.

BTW - lets hope the Euro/dollar exchange rate improves. Its still a great location even if the dollar is not as strong as it once was.

The FAQ was updated 8/31/06, after the AW sunset.

Can the USPSA find a way around this?

That hasn't stopped the current world champion from bring in high capacity magazines... I suspect that that particular FAQ question has not been updated, is all...