Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 41

-JQ-

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi G Man!

I told you so! A SWAT buddy of mine shot my Bully SC M41 yesterday, and...you guessed it, bought a M41 today and his Bully and Herretts are now inbound.

It's hard to believe what a few minor changes to an old favorite bullseye gun has done for the M41. You would think it was a newly designed, specialty built for speed, .22 racegun if you didn't know better!

Enjoy your new toy, and hope to catch up with you at a match....

Good Shootin',

TGR

Yeah, no kidding! I ran it on a plate rack a little bit today after the match and wow, it was a blast. I honestly can't see anything being "better" than this setup. I've put exactly 200rds of CCI SV through it and it's fed and extracted perfectly. Looks like I'm gonna have to order a bunch more ammo for it as I'm sure to burn through a bunch! R,

You got a .22 overlay? :roflol:

I'm gonna have to surf the classifieds for a used 41 now.

.22 overlay...now that's funny!

There are a couple of nice 41s on Gun Broker right now that look to be reasonably priced. I've done a lot of research on which versions are good/better than others (none are bad) and have a small network of 41 collectors I keep in touch with in case you find a specific gun and have questions about it. Short, short version is to either go with something pretty new (with the Bo-Mar style rear sight) or something with a serial number before A430xxx. Wolff makes a recoil spring calibration pack that you can use to tune for whatever ammo you decide to use. R,

I picked up a beater mid nineties vintage M-41 that looks like its been carried in a unpadded metal box. I did a trigger job and mounted a Burris Fast Fire II using a Weaver rib. Been shooting Steel for a couple of weeks.

More fun for less bucks then most guns I own. Very easy to take down and clean, if needed.

Have to admit that my Marvel conversion on a Springfield frame is easier to gunsmith if you don't like the trigger, stocks or want to mess with stuff. I use the Marvel for Bullseye and the M-41 for steel.

I have bought S&W magazines and everything works like a well oiled ammo pump with CCI SV.

Does anyone make 1911 style grips for the 41? Did a search and came up dry. GMan mentions a new set of Herrets. I checked Herrets website but it showed the last update in 2001. I guess I'm looking to replicate the feel of a flat MS housing 1911 with no thumbrest. Thanks, Jim

How does the 41 feel with those on? How close to a 1911...assuming that is the main thought? I wish they had a pic of the arched version.

Bad news for me...my local FFL has an ALMOST new 41 in the case for ~899. The guy ordered it went out to shoot it and his buddy said "I though you ordered the 7" --- doh.

So with ~50 rounds through her they took it back in and there she sits...staring at me :devil:

One thing is the finish in no way compares to the jewel I sold last year. It is nice but not the old school blue.

If I wasn't there to pick up another sweet jewel I would have snatched her up.

Is there any reason not to go with a "new" one?

How does the 41 feel with those on? How close to a 1911...assuming that is the main thought? I wish they had a pic of the arched version.

Bad news for me...my local FFL has an ALMOST new 41 in the case for ~899. The guy ordered it went out to shoot it and his buddy said "I though you ordered the 7" --- doh.

So with ~50 rounds through her they took it back in and there she sits...staring at me :devil:

One thing is the finish in no way compares to the jewel I sold last year. It is nice but not the old school blue.

If I wasn't there to pick up another sweet jewel I would have snatched her up.

Is there any reason not to go with a "new" one?

Here's a pic of the arched...slightly different angle but you get the idea. http://www.herrett-stocks.com/h41large.htm

It's been quite a while since I've handled a M41 with Herrett's grips...like years, so I'm kind of waffling back and forth between the arched and flat model. Heck, I've spent about two weeks trying to decide! With the stock grips the dot indexes pretty much right on for me and those have a slight arch to them so I'm thinking of going the arched route...at least it's not a super expensive mistake if the flat would be better.

$950 for what's essentially a new M41 is a good deal. You can find them on GB for around that, but then you're paying at least $25 shipping and whatever your FFL charges you. The new guns are excellent and tend to run well. They also have a better rear sight (Bomar style) compared with the older guns...if you're going to shoot iron sights. The older guns have a nicer finish and if you get to see the blue on a really old one like my 1958 model it's just crazy good, but that doesn't mean much for a competition gun.

I think the best value is one of two things. Either try to get a new gun for in the $950 range or a nice used gun for $750 or less. I got lucky and picked up the gun in the pictures for $500 plus either $15 or $25 shipping and no FFL costs. The guy had it listed on GB as "S&W41" with no space in the middle so I guess it wasn't showing up on people's searches....it's like 99% and should have gone for at least $750. So, you just have to keep watching if you go that route. R,

• 1 month later...

So if I buy a 41 and a Bully Barrel, who do I get to do the custom work on it? Specifically trigger job, remove mag disconnector, the fitting of the barrel if it needs it. I'm guessing I can probably figure it out on my own, but if someone already has it dialed in, I'd just as soon send it off. I think TG Reaper mentioned a 24 ounce trigger job, sounds good to me.

I have forgotten the guys name that did the work but Billy Abatte has a Model 41 that he had customized for Steel Challenge shooting. He had the C-More mounted directly to the barrel with no mount to sit on. It was on Shooting USA this week.

So are these pistols that good to where they're this expensive before we go through them, gut 'em?

Rich

Heck uscbigdawg...if we collected paper clips some one would have to go out and chrome plate one - just because... :devil:

So if I buy a 41 and a Bully Barrel, who do I get to do the custom work on it? Specifically trigger job, remove mag disconnector, the fitting of the barrel if it needs it. I'm guessing I can probably figure it out on my own, but if someone already has it dialed in, I'd just as soon send it off. I think TG Reaper mentioned a 24 ounce trigger job, sounds good to me.

I haven't weighed the trigger on my M41s but all three that I've purchased in the last year have had very, very nice triggers that are probably 2lbs or less. The folks on the S&W forum and probably Rimfire Central as well have posted detailed instructions on removing the mag disconnect and you can set the trigger to the lightest setting by yourself....it's literally just pushing a bar over after moving a spring if I remember the details (that's also posted on the forums). I'll see if I can find a link for those two jobs and post them.

Generally speaking you don't have to do much to a M41 for it to be ready for SC shooting. The setup TG Reaper was talking about is the Bully SC barrel I posted links and pics of. R,

Edit to add:

For anybody interested in detail stripping or doing basic maintenance on their M41, this is a great reference site with lots of pics and descriptions. It also has the instructions (with pics) on how to adjust the trigger and remove the mag disconnect:

http://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm

Also, Clark does a lot of very good M41 work, if necessary. Alex Hamilton at 10-Ring Precision also does excellent M41 work.

Edited by G-ManBart

So are these pistols that good to where they're this expensive before we go through them, gut 'em?

Rich

Unless you want to mount a C-more directly to the barrel like with the Bully setup you really don't have to do much of anything to them at all. They're pretty simple, have great triggers and barrels from the factory and a recoil spring swap is about the only thing you might have to do to dial it in for the ammo you like. The current barrels (and for quite a while now) are drilled and tapped and you can buy an inexpensive rail that bolts right up that would allow you to put a C-more Railway on it with no extra work. Clark offers a barrel with a rail milled into the top (around $325) and Bully offers the barrel machined to accept the C-more Slide Ride bolts perfectly (you do need slightly shorter hex cap bolts, but that's it). R,

Edit to add: post #37 above has a picture of the M41 with a Bully SC barrel on it.

Edited by G-ManBart

Been shooting my 41 for the last couple of days at 25 yards freestyle. It's an amamzing gun, almost impossible to not hit an alpha. Mine is an older model with a 1.5lb trigger. I wouldn't sell it for any amount.

Well I am officially keeping my eye open for a decent deal on a 41. I have been checking them out and these are very popular with the owners. I can hardly find anything negative about them.

Well I am officially keeping my eye open for a decent deal on a 41. I have been checking them out and these are very popular with the owners. I can hardly find anything negative about them.

Yeah. I've got a fantastic Colt Match Target. It has served me well. But, I feel like a leper when I read about the 41's.