Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 41

-JQ-

As a slight drift...I went to the National Gun day show in L'ville KY last week. I have NEVER seen sooooo many 41's...even saw a minty 46 and an early 41 with weights...unfired...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Mine will shoot almost anything into one ragged hole at 25yds. Except Aquilla, it doesn't like that either. But it shoots the federal cheap stuff from Wal-Mart as well as it shoots CCI Green Tag!

Any thoughts on the 46? From what little I've read they seem to be more collectible and less the shooter? But I know where one is but I have no idea of the right price.

Had one a few years back when I was dabbling in NRA bullseye . . .

Worked great for 1/2 season then would not extract reliably, went to S&W who did few things, sent it back, suggested ammo, then it kept on malfunctioning.

Tried a bunch of stuff and settled on a good solution. .. -I sold it.

If I were to go back to Bullseye, I would buy a .22 upper and shoot the 2700 with the same gun!

Any thoughts on the 46? From what little I've read they seem to be more collectible and less the shooter? But I know where one is but I have no idea of the right price.

They were intended as a budget priced version that they thought would be purchased by the military, and some were, but they never caught on all that well. First releaed in 1959 the earliest versions had plastic grips (later changed to wood) but you could order them with wood for an upcharge. The didn't have a cocking indicator (later removed from the 41 as well...around 1979 I believe), no muzzle break, no grooves in the front strap, smooth rather than groove slide release and safety and no checkering on the mag release. The barrel and slide were machined differently and this lead to a problem with early versions. They were square cut rather than radiused and they were prone to cracking at the corner. Another cost saving measure was no angled grooves on the top of the slide which was supposed to grind up fouling/grit for reliability. The top of the barrel wasn't checkered/grooved and they had a non-adjustable trigger.

I've seen a minty 46 with the 5.5" heavy barrel locally and I think they wanted about $750 for it, which isn't outrageous. Still, you can get a nice 41 for that kind of money. The one major exception is if it's got U.S. Army markings or Navy anchors on it...those will bring a huge premium. Combined they made three variations.....7" barrels (2500 units), 5" field barrels (1000 units) and 5.5" heavy barrel (500 units).

I'd suspect that a good one will shoot as well as a normal 41, but I think the majority are in the hands of collectors now. Watching Gun Broker I see about 50 M41s for every 46 that shows up....if that many. R,

• 2 weeks later...

Model 41's have been used by bullseye shooters since the first day they were introduced. In the recent past, they've been "sporterized" for use at specialized events like Sportsman's Team Challenge, mainly with Clark barrels or modified factory barrels. Now, there's another alternative for fully tricking out a model 41 and turning it into a full blown race gun. Check out Bully Barrels by Ray Brandes at:

Bully Barrels

We are now using Ray's barrels for Steel Challenge on the M41, and NOTHING can compare to it for feel, balance, accuracy, and reliability. A model 41 with a barrel from Ray-Vin dressed with a set of Herrett grips and a case of CCI SV will quickly make this the favorite gun in your collection.

If you are into suppressed .22's, check out Ray's 6" threaded barrels with integral base. This set-up will really put a smile on your face! :D

Irons actually wouldn't work well at all because the overhang from the back of the barrel is gone so the rear sight would be too far forward. It's machined specifically for a C-more so that's what I put on it. I have to do a tiny bit more fitting at the front where the slide meets the barrel as it's a little tight there and I don't want to beat up the end of the slide rails. Other than that it's ready.

The barrel is supposed to weigh around 11.5oz if I recall. I don't have a 5 1/2" barrel here (that one went to Dad) so I'll have to get him to weigh it for me, but there's going to be no comparison. The flutes are pretty wide and deep and in your hand you can feel how much lighter it is...a lot! More to follow... R,

Haven't got to shoot it yet since the barrel just got here Monday. The test target was 10 rounds of CCI SV at 25yds and it's a touch over an inch. That's from a Ransom rest which isn't the best for M41s....if you could put the barrel in a vice it would work better, from what I've read. Still, it's more than accurate enough.

Total weight, no magazine, is 37oz as you see it in the pic. I've only dry fired with it, but I like the way it feels in transitions...can't wait to shoot it! Either tomorrow or Friday it'll get some rounds through it :)

you don't want the slide to hit = it will crack the slide. The back / breach end has just a site (slope) ware the slide and barrel meet. make sure you have some clearance.

I shot the snot out of my guns in STC , a cracked slide is not fun. S&W gave me new slides, but I had a friend that worked for them.

The funny thing is I -added 12 oz to the nose on my barrel, but I was shooting slow

Edited by AlamoShooter

you don't want the slide to hit = it will crack the slide. The back / breach end has just a site (slope) ware the slide and barrel meet. make sure you have some clearance.

Absolutely...that's why I haven't shot it. There's a little slope where the two meet, but not quite enough so I'm slowly taking a little material off, putting it all back together, checking, repeat. I'd just hog it out but then it would look ugly so I'm trying to just take off enough to leave a couple thousandths gap between the two. Can't wait to shoot it! R,

I prefer the 41 to any other rimfire semi-auto that I've ever shot. There aren't too many I know of that are capable of consistently producing this kind of accuracy.

10 shot groups fired from Ransom Machine Rest @ 50 yards.

target.jpg

ammo (SK Jagd Standard Plus)

group.jpg

sw41ransomrest.jpg

Since the grip frame on the 41 is so skinny and would not stay put clamped down in the Ransom Machine Rest, we had custom inserts made for machine rest testing.

Edited by reneet

G-Man:

I'm surprised to hear you are having to fit anything. I've assembled 9 of these set-ups now, and haven't had to fit the first barrel. When you get it to your liking, I know you will be very pleased with the set-up.

As for the questions about how they transition, this set-up is designed to minimize the distance from the center of the optic to the bore axis. No optically sighted race gun I've ever owned points as well as a M41 with a Bully SC barrel. My guns weigh 38-42 ounces, depending on whether they have mag wells or not, or a plastic or aluminum C-More.

When it comes time to clean, NO pistol strips as quickly for cleaning, or goes back together as easily. Unlike other .22's that like to be run dirty and dry, the M41 likes to be run clean and lightly lubricated.

Without exception, everyone I know who has tried this set-up has shot their personal best Steel Challenge times right out of the gate. In short, they transition like a dream!

With centerfire ammo getting scarcer, and more expensive, with each passing day, a lot can be accomplished training for steel with a rimfire. This barrel and sight como turns a bullseye boat anchor (albeit a nice boat anchor) into a slim and trim race gun that represents the most reliable and accurate .22 ever devised. And that's far from just an opinion...

Good Shootin',

TGR

Edited by TG Reaper

G-Man:

I'm surprised to hear you are having to fit anything. I've assembled 9 of these set-ups now, and haven't had to fit the first barrel. When you get it to your liking, I know you will be very pleased with the set-up.

Yeah, from the looks of it I didn't expect to need to fit anything. When I put it all together the end of the slide rails were making contact with the flat part of the barrel that extends donwards and the insides of the very front of the slide rails were touching where the front of the barrel angles away from the slide grooves. It was actually an easy fix and it's ready to go now...will zero and test it tomorrow!

I've known about these pretty much since the earliest discussions with Ray....a little birdy forwarded me some info and it was right when I was going to contact Ray myself to ask about a lighter barrel machined for a C-more...great minds and all that :cheers:

I posted a pic of my setup over on the S&W forum and a couple of guys instantly jumped all over it. I think with that visibility, as well as here and how well they're working, Ray might have to crank out a bunch more soon! R,

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts after you run it tomorrow. I have a safe full of trick toys that I love to shoot and compete with, but....I absolutely can't keep my hands off of my "new" M41's. They have, without a doubt, become my favorite shooting irons.

You will probably also find that you can shoot better groups than what Ray is getting from his machine rest. His groups give an excellent indication of a particular barrel's accuracy capability, but I have easlily shot better groups with every one of my Bully barrels, usually offhand (at 25 yards). If you really want to excite yourself, run a box of Tenex or other premium match ammo through it for accuracy. Although I wouldn't run anything other than CCI SV in a match, it's fun shooting those tiny knotholes at distance with the expensive stuff!

Good Shootin',

TGR

Long after starting this thread...having sold my super sweet 41...you guys are going to cost me some dough...

Why do we sell the ones we love?

Waiting for pics GMan...

Had one a few years back when I was dabbling in NRA bullseye . . .

Worked great for 1/2 season then would not extract reliably, went to S&W who did few things, sent it back, suggested ammo, then it kept on malfunctioning.

Tried a bunch of stuff and settled on a good solution. .. -I sold it.

If I were to go back to Bullseye, I would buy a .22 upper and shoot the 2700 with the same gun!

Little know fact regarding the 41. They have interchangeable breech faces (sort of like the SVs). The reason (so I've been told) is non-concentric bores in the factory barrels. :wacko: Any time we're having problems getting a 41 to properly function, we swap out the breech face and that typically makes it all better.

Holy WOW does this thing shoot! I was pressed for time so I got it zerod and shot some groups then spent a few minutes knocking over my steel plates. I shot a couple of good groups with no called flyers that were .75" at 25yds using a rolled up towel to support my hands and the base of the grips...nothing else. That was with CCI SV. I kept one or two of the targets and I'll put a pic up later. The funny thing was the wind was blowing like crazy and the targets were rocking forward and back, left and right as I was shooting....so I tried to shoot between the gusts. Still three quarters of an inch at 25yds with SV ammo is more than good enough for anything I'm going to do.

Transitions and indexing were really sweet. The grips aren't meant for two handed shooting so the Herretts are going to be inbound shortly. Having handled other rimfire pistols with dots on them there simply isn't any comparison. I put 150rds through it and it didn't have any issues at all. It certainly isn't a cheap setup, but I don't see how you could do any better. R,

Here you go.....5 shots (you can see the one double in the center), CCI SV at 25yds, hands and base of grip on a rolled up towel off the tailgate of my truck. The target is actually a 50ft pistol target. It works pretty well since it's easy to center the dot in the relatively small black circle....just leaves a circle of black around the dot, sorta like a reverse double aperature (sp?) setup on a smallbore match rifle. The wind was crazy and both the truck and the target were moving a little but it didn't seem to matter!

IMG_0085.jpg

Edited by G-ManBart