Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 41

-JQ-

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my $$, one of the best pointing, shooting and handling .22's made...pretty expensive though, but fed the ammo it likes, it makes a seriously accurate .22 out of the box.

Thx TL...

The price is right and it seems like shooting steel would almost be free (compared to 9/45). I just haven't shot one.

Are there certain years that I should look out for good or bad?

I bought one about a year ago. Still in the original blue box. Has a 7-8 inch barrel (can't remember and too lazy to go look :rolleyes: ) and it has a compensator on the barrel. Don't know why... It shoots extremely well. I like it. There are cheaper .22's out there, like the Ruger MK 1,2 and 3 series and IMHO they shoot as well, but the hardwood furniture and the S&W blue just make my mod 41 a nicer gun to shoot.

I gave $725 for an older model, but like tightloop said, it is seriously accurate right out of the box.

JMHO

dj

I traded a Colt Match Target for one in 1971, and shot the dickens out of it. At about the 70K round mark I had to replace the recoil spring.

It is, in my opinion, the finest of the reasonably priced target grade pistols.

I sold it to finance a Kart conversion in about 1984, which I shoot to this day.

If I were making a recommendation to a Bullseye shooter, or to one who shoots a 1911, I think a Marvel on a good 1911 frame might be a little better in emulating the 1911.

If you shoot anything other than a 1911 for a "big bore" gun I should think you could do not better than a Model 41.

GREAT GUN!

I have shot the blue off of them for 14 years. I am down to just two with three barrels and a new Clark /Shill en barrel on the wait list.

I use it in Sportsman's Team Challenge and in Steel Challenge. <_< I do OK

If you get a aftermarket barrel and even if you get a new one check to be certain the slide does not hit the front of the barrel. , or you could end up with a cracked slide.

The 41 is the last of the S&W that must be hand made. / fitted.

The only thing that lets me down is my scopes. and this year I have a c-more on my steel gun

I think the 41 is the best gun for the dollar . -IF- your matches are important to you

Awesome guns, mine is a little finicky about ammo. It's also the gun I fired thousands of rounds weakhand with when I first started in IPSC. I have a few Rugers also but whenever I want to shoot rimfire the Smith always gets the nod.

Wonderful gun and beautifully made. I have 5.5" that is almost 30 years old . Recently I have been shooting it in Steel Challenge matches. My only complaint is that the match sights are not ideal for my aging eyes to pick up. If it had a thinner front blade or wider rear notch it would help. It is also a little on the heavy side to be optimal for Steel Challenge (IMO).

Other than that is it is accurate, reliable and mine has a sweet 2.5# trigger.

20 years ago I was seriously into bullseye shooting. You can pay alot more and not get much if any better gun. As mentioned above, probably the best out of the box 22 you can buy for the money. I still wish I had the ones I used to own. Truly great guns.

Just an update...

I may the deal and got the S&W 41 (and a 226) and the 41 is sweet as I have heard. I went straight to the local shop and picked up a snap cap...the trigger is crazy...I'm not sure if it is light or clean or both but when you think "pull trigger" it is already done.

I can't wait to get it to the range...

thanks for all the input!

• 1 month later...

My wife owns one that she shoots Bullseye with.Nice gun,it does seem a bit picky about ammo though.Its looking like CCI Standard Velocity or Green Tag is the stuff to run.She got a great deal on this one.The gun with box,4 mags,and a set of Fung grips for like $480(used of course).She has a LOT of fun with it.-Mike

A great gun. I have a few. Even a set made back in the 50's with the long barrel with brake, field barrel and set of weights for the long barrel. I dont shoot that one. Another is set up with a clark barrel and a cmore on top.

I am also partial to Colt match Targets but the 41 is the better shooter.

Since I got it a month or so ago I've shot it 3-4 times. It is all I have read...a very sweet shooter.

So far I've been shooting some old Remington ammo (not hollw point) and it hasn't hiccuped at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
post-14188-1231645820_thumb.jpgI've had 3 over the years. Always wanted a stainless one. I asked Smith why they didn't make a stainless and was told "we can't keep up with demand of blued, we'd never get done making them in stainless", lol. I did the next best thing. Sent mine off for custom work and complete plating, of both barrels and all my mags. It's beautiful. On the 7" barrel, the one I scope, I had the front sight milled off and the fine barrel lines matched all the way out the front, and the rear sight notch filled in. Pretty expensive, but it's what I always wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

I have wanted on of these for years. I just got one about a month ago.

A 5.5" gun. VERY accurate so fars runs everything but Remingtont Thunderbolt.

Going to shoot Steel with it this weekend for the first time. As has been mentioned the sights need some work to be really fast for steel I am going to open up the rear first.

Going to shoot Steel with it this weekend for the first time. As has been mentioned the sights need some work to be really fast for steel I am going to open up the rear first.

Cool. I hope to be there tomorrow myself. I was going to bring my Kimber 22 conversion, but I think I will bring the 41 and we can compare notes. I am especially interested in seeing what you have done to the sights. I will also be bringing my STI 9mm out for it's first time out.

I have two, one is from the early 80s and the other is from the late 80s. They are both excellent firearms and alot more accurate than anybody I know can shoot them. I put a Clark's STC barrel on one of mine and have very good results with it.

The weight with the Clark barrel feels like a 1911.

Cool. I hope to be there tomorrow myself. I was going to bring my Kimber 22 conversion, but I think I will bring the 41 and we can compare notes. I am especially interested in seeing what you have done to the sights. I will also be bringing my STI 9mm out for it's first time out.

I have not done anything to the sights YET.

I didn't finish the match yesterday in 22 because we had SOO many people on our sqaud. If we had all shot all of our guns we would have had 20 guns on our sqaud.

I do know I am going to have to do some work to them. Widen the rear notch first then if that is not enough I am going to narrow the front or replace it altogether.

• 1 month later...

You'll probably want to have the front sight milled thinner as it is an integral part of the barrel, not staked or pinned on. I think if I were going to shoot steel open sights, I'd drill out a .060 hole front to back in the sight and mill or file an opening in the top of it to let in light and I'd stick a red fiber optic in there. I did that on my Browning Hi-Power and the light it picks up is amazing and very quick to get on the plate. Greg

Edited by gmantwo