Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 41

-JQ-

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a model 41 that I shot bullseye with prior to discovering USPSA. I had problems some types of ammo and I called S&W to get a recommendation for a specific type of ammo. The rep told me that match grade .22 ammo and guns very slightly in tolerances and that the the Model 41 is chambered specifically for CCI Standard Velocity ammo. I tried some of that and never had another problem!!!!!!!

I have also been looking for a M41 for a while and have followed this thread for more info. I have found one shop who has them new for $930 plus tax locally. Is this a competitive price? I tried asking about LEO discount and if I paid in cash but to no avail. I would almost be better off buying out of state and having it shipped in because of the tax. Please let me know.

Adam

Edited by galt11

I have also been looking for a M41 for a while and have followed this thread for more info. I have found one shop who has them for $930 plus tax locally. Is this a competitive price? I tried asking about LEO discount and if I paid in cash but to no avail. I would almost be better off buying out of state and having it shipped in because of the tax. Please let me know.

Adam

Hey Adam. The $930 price tag can depend on which year and model but that sounds a little high to me. I got a 5.5" Model 41 in GREAT shape for $640 shipped and that was this year. TG Reaper actually located it for me but I have seen similar deals. I also know that G-ManBart has a couple of Model 41's and he's located a deal or two along the way. TG Reaper found mine on-line and I bought it and had it shipped to me. You may find one local to you but I would search as many angles as you can to save yourself some dough.

If you're looking for Model 41 info then I suggest asking G-ManBart or TG Reaper as they both have more knowledge about them than me.

I have also been looking for a M41 for a while and have followed this thread for more info. I have found one shop who has them for $930 plus tax locally. Is this a competitive price? I tried asking about LEO discount and if I paid in cash but to no avail. I would almost be better off buying out of state and having it shipped in because of the tax. Please let me know.

Adam

Hey Adam. The $930 price tag can depend on which year and model but that sounds a little high to me. I got a 5.5" Model 41 in GREAT shape for $640 shipped and that was this year. TG Reaper actually located it for me but I have seen similar deals. I also know that G-ManBart has a couple of Model 41's and he's located a deal or two along the way. TG Reaper found mine on-line and I bought it and had it shipped to me. You may find one local to you but I would search as many angles as you can to save yourself some dough.

If you're looking for Model 41 info then I suggest asking G-ManBart or TG Reaper as they both have more knowledge about them than me.

Sorry, I forgot to put in my note that I was looking for a new one, I have corrected it. Thanks for the leads of people to speak to. I will try to contact them and see if they can help.

Adam

Sorry, I forgot to put in my note that I was looking for a new one, I have corrected it. Thanks for the leads of people to speak to. I will try to contact them and see if they can help.

Adam

$930 for a new M41 is a good price that will be hard to beat online. The cheapest I've seen on Gun Broker was around that for a new gun, and then you have to pay anywhere from $25-50 for shipping and whatever the local dealer will charge you for the transfer fee.

If I was shopping for a new M41 and a local shop had one for $930 I'd grab it. There was a shop on GB that had S&W demo M41s for about $6-700....they looked like new and came from Smith so they'd be a great bargain, but I haven't seen them listed in a while. R,

Adam

$930 for a new M41 is a good price that will be hard to beat online. The cheapest I've seen on Gun Broker was around that for a new gun, and then you have to pay anywhere from $25-50 for shipping and whatever the local dealer will charge you for the transfer fee.

If I was shopping for a new M41 and a local shop had one for $930 I'd grab it. There was a shop on GB that had S&W demo M41s for about $6-700....they looked like new and came from Smith so they'd be a great bargain, but I haven't seen them listed in a while. R,

+1 to what Bart said. If you're looking for new then his prices are fair. If you allow yourself to find a used one then I suggest searching Gunbroker.com or another sale forum and you will eventually find a great deal or two. I just looked and found a pre-A series Model 41 in the $600's.

Edited by jasmap

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found a good price on a new M41 and have it on order and now am in the process of getting all the assorted accessories. I keep seeing the different barrels offered but it looks as though it's actually the whole top end of the gun. I realize the barrel stays stationary on the 41, but is that all you have to purchase to change the barrel length?

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

One more question for those who have a 41, I am buying all the bits and pieces to accessorize the 41 before my amendment comes in. I bought a cleaning rod from Dewey for it and its a 7 inch rod, but looking at it now it appears too short because of the metal that holds the rear sight.

What length cleaning rod do you use?

My other option is to go to a 11 inch rod, should I?

Thanks

Adam

One more question for those who have a 41, I am buying all the bits and pieces to accessorize the 41 before my amendment comes in. I bought a cleaning rod from Dewey for it and its a 7 inch rod, but looking at it now it appears too short because of the metal that holds the rear sight.

What length cleaning rod do you use?

My other option is to go to a 11 inch rod, should I?

Thanks

Adam

You can probably get away with the shorter rod just fine if it's the kind that doesn't have a screwdriver handle on it. I basically never put a rod down the bore though. With standard velocity ammo you won't get any leading in the barrel.....even after thousands of rounds. I sometimes carefully clean the chamber using a worn brush with a patch over it, but that's it. R,

Bart, I know you use CCI SV but have you tried any Aguila or WOLF match through your M41 yet? I was very impressed with the WOLF in mine. I actually ran some cheap Remington (Thunderbolt I think) through mine and even it was dead-nuts accurate at 50 yds.

Bart, I know you use CCI SV but have you tried any Aguila or WOLF match through your M41 yet? I was very impressed with the WOLF in mine. I actually ran some cheap Remington (Thunderbolt I think) through mine and even it was dead-nuts accurate at 50 yds.

I've tried some Eley Sport which is made by Aguila and it worked nicely...very similar to CCI SV, but not quite as consistent as far as absolute accuracy (still more than fine for steel). I think I've shot about 1K of it total between a couple of guns and haven't had a dud yet....which is important.

I've shot a bunch of SK Jagd Standard+ (which is the same as Wolf Match Target) through the factory barrel and it was very, very good. I don't remember if I've tried it through the Bully barrel since it seems like it would almost be a waste on such large targets (in comparison). I've also shot their more expensive "Match" through the factory barrel and it was better yet, but now we're getting into real bullseye ammo.

I've shot all of those through my Winchester 52C and the Match is clearly better than the others at 50yds...no question. Still, not worth the significantly higher price to shoot steel.

I'd like to try some of the Aguila Standard Velocity and compare it to the Eley Sport and CCI SV to see if it's in the same ballpark, accuracy wise, since it's usually easier to find now than CCI SV (have about 6500 rounds left). From the reports on Rimfirecentral, it sounds like it's decent ammo, but not good enough for real bullseye, which is what many folks will say about CCI SV if they're good enough to tell the difference. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

• 1 month later...

I used standard CCI Blazer for steel and CCI standard for Bullseye. Both were as reliable as can be expected for any mechanical device.

Recently I have used Aquila pistol match for bullseye due to price and availabilty. I have had a little problem with ejection due to fouling in the chamber with Aquila.

For cleaning, I like a plastic coated steel cable with a brass tip that holds a patch. I use a Otis rifle kit that I have cut in half so I have a screw on section for a brush and a patch section.

You will have to file down the brass patch section to fit a 22 barrel. I came upon this solution while dealing with a 8 3/8 model 14 revolver.

Makes it real easy to run a patch down the breach end of a gun during a match. Just toss the plastic cable end down the bore and pull.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have wanted on of these for years. I just got one about a month ago.

A 5.5" gun. VERY accurate so fars runs everything but Remingtont Thunderbolt.

Going to shoot Steel with it this weekend for the first time. As has been mentioned the sights need some work to be really fast for steel I am going to open up the rear first.

As a new member may I offer my opinion on the S&W Model 41 from my personal experience. In 1965 my buddy told me that our gun dealer was selling just had returned brand new S&W 41, used only for a few clips, at a good price ...$55.00.

On a lark I went over and it took only a few milliseconds for me to handle it, drool over it as any guy would, and purchased it. I inquired as to why

the original owner had returned it to which the dealer ... would you expect less :) .. told me that "he is a buyer and seller". After shooting a few mags I found that I got stovepipes which made clear why it was returned. Back home I used a loop

to investigate. All looked perfect so I decided to methodically check all the variables ... the bane of physics training. In short order I found that all functioned perfectly, including the extractor. I then found that the shell casing fit quite snugly. Having worked my way through college in the university's machine shop I had picked up myriad of 'tricks' from machinists that had served in WW I repairing and machining parts for biplanes. (This was in the later part of 1950's)

I took an empty .22 casing, drilled out a hole for a very thin and long machine screw and with a nut locking it in place made a polisher for the chamber. The old machinists used the equivalent of UltraBright tooth paste for final finishing of parts that were going to be used in gyroscopes. With the toothpaste and jeweler's rouge concoction I ran the polisher up and down the chamber while spinning it with a very slow speed drill. Maxim they taught me: easy to remove more than have to re-machine whole piece. Like porcupines making love I proceeded cautiously and incrementally.

After a some careful passes I cleaned and oiled the chamber using a steel cleaning rod as no particles would embed themselves and in turn damage the lands and grooves. I placed multiple .22 cartridges in the chamber and they

entered and extracted smoothly. Next time at range I found I had solved the problem of stovepiping. Over the intervening years I have shot every brand of .22 through it ... but CCI is my standard for target ... and can recount at most 6 extraction problems during a match. These I chalk up to statistical variations in manufacturing. A few months later I ordered a pair of wrap around Herrett target grips. That 5.5 barrel consistently held the tightest group. It still does after 54 years.

An aside. I have used a Gitzo Camera Monopod with an adjustable 'wire stock' ... setting the end against my belt, the stock against my shoulder, and my arm with the M41 resting at the elbow on the top much as a telephoto lens. The steady M41's accuracy

at 25 yards is near small rifle. I get no better group from my Reising 65.

I apologize for above long winded, and presumably boring to most, story which is my tribute to that great pistol. After all, the years you will have a wonderful weapon, the very best, for you, is really the cheapest in the long run. I did sell all my other .22 target pistols soon after. I hope this gives you another decision calibration point.