Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 41

-JQ-

As a new member may I offer my opinion on the S&W Model 41 from my personal experience. In 1965 my buddy told me that our gun dealer was selling just had returned brand new S&W 41, used only for a few clips, at a good price ...$55.00.

On a lark I went over and it took only a few milliseconds for me to handle it, drool over it as any guy would, and purchased it. I inquired as to why

the original owner had returned it to which the dealer ... would you expect less :) .. told me that "he is a buyer and seller". After shooting a few mags I found that I got stovepipes which made clear why it was returned. Back home I used a loop

to investigate. All looked perfect so I decided to methodically check all the variables ... the bane of physics training. In short order I found that all functioned perfectly, including the extractor. I then found that the shell casing fit quite snugly. Having worked my way through college in the university's machine shop I had picked up myriad of 'tricks' from machinists that had served in WW I repairing and machining parts for biplanes. (This was in the later part of 1950's)

I took an empty .22 casing, drilled out a hole for a very thin and long machine screw and with a nut locking it in place made a polisher for the chamber. The old machinists used the equivalent of UltraBright tooth paste for final finishing of parts that were going to be used in gyroscopes. With the toothpaste and jeweler's rouge concoction I ran the polisher up and down the chamber while spinning it with a very slow speed drill. Maxim they taught me: easy to remove more than have to re-machine whole piece. Like porcupines making love I proceeded cautiously and incrementally.

After a some careful passes I cleaned and oiled the chamber using a steel cleaning rod as no particles would embed themselves and in turn damage the lands and grooves. I placed multiple .22 cartridges in the chamber and they

entered and extracted smoothly. Next time at range I found I had solved the problem of stovepiping. Over the intervening years I have shot every brand of .22 through it ... but CCI is my standard for target ... and can recount at most 6 extraction problems during a match. These I chalk up to statistical variations in manufacturing. A few months later I ordered a pair of wrap around Herrett target grips. That 5.5 barrel consistently held the tightest group. It still does after 54 years.

An aside. I have used a Gitzo Camera Monopod with an adjustable 'wire stock' ... setting the end against my belt, the stock against my shoulder, and my arm with the M41 resting at the elbow on the top much as a telephoto lens. The steady M41's accuracy

at 25 yards is near small rifle. I get no better group from my Reising 65.

I apologize for above long winded, and presumably boring to most, story which is my tribute to that great pistol. After all, the years you will have a wonderful weapon, the very best, for you, is really the cheapest in the long run. I did sell all my other .22 target pistols soon after. I hope this gives you another decision calibration point.

Not boring at all...good stuff! I try not to look at M41s on Gun Broker or anywhere else...LOL. I have a friend with a clean five digit serial number gun with a non-matching EFS 5.5" barrel (EFS came after the 5-digits were done) that I really, really want to add to my safe. I try not to think about that at all :D

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a brand now Model 41 with the 5.5" heavy barrell today. Dealer cost on these is $834 plus shipping. Most gunshops that stock them are marking them up 20%, and pricing at $1K. The 7" model is same price.

You can usually get $900 out of a mint used on around here....they really hold thier value and are backordered a lot of the time.

This is my 3rd M-41...my wife shoots my other 5.5", so I ordered one for myself.

I have a 5.5 threaded bully barrel on mine (1x8 twist). It shoots cci quite well just a tad better than the 5" barrel that came with it. I tried some sk match ( now sk match rifle, wolf wxtra match is the same) and it shot groups at 50 feet under 1/2 inch. The cci's were 3/4- 1 inch. I have a ultra dot LT on it but it is only good for indoors because it washes out in sunlight (4moa).

• 2 weeks later...

Model 41's have been used by bullseye shooters since the first day they were introduced. In the recent past, they've been "sporterized" for use at specialized events like Sportsman's Team Challenge, mainly with Clark barrels or modified factory barrels. Now, there's another alternative for fully tricking out a model 41 and turning it into a full blown race gun. Check out Bully Barrels by Ray Brandes at:

Bully Barrels

We are now using Ray's barrels for Steel Challenge on the M41, and NOTHING can compare to it for feel, balance, accuracy, and reliability. A model 41 with a barrel from Ray-Vin dressed with a set of Herrett grips and a case of CCI SV will quickly make this the favorite gun in your collection.

If you are into suppressed .22's, check out Ray's 6" threaded barrels with integral base. This set-up will really put a smile on your face! :D

I am waiting on a new barrel from Ray... Hopefully it will not take too long. Does anyone else makes these barrels with comp?

I am waiting on a new barrel from Ray... Hopefully it will not take too long. Does anyone else makes these barrels with comp?

I'm certain Ray was the first, and I haven't heard of anyone else making something similar with a comp.

You can buy the 5.5" or 7" barrels from Smith, but it seems like they aren't always available. I've heard Gil Hebard Guns Inc, Knoxville, IL is a reliable source...not sure if he has a website. R,

Yep, although I would chop and then take even more weight out of the factory barrel. KenD has done a version of that and it runs great, it looks like hell though.

Edited by Fireant

I am going to work on cutting my stock barrel after the US nationals this month. I am going to cut it off short, flatten the slide, cut that hunk of metal off the bottom of the slide then drill and tap it for a cmore. I am not woried about resale value because it is a tool that will be used and used hard.

I am going to work on cutting my stock barrel after the US nationals this month. I am going to cut it off short, flatten the slide, cut that hunk of metal off the bottom of the slide then drill and tap it for a cmore. I am not woried about resale value because it is a tool that will be used and used hard.

Do you also plan to cut it off even with the chamber or leave the rear sight extension? R,

I finally put on the Herrett flat trainer grips on my M41 and now it looks funny with the bottom of the frame exposed. While I wait for my bully barrel, I figured I would see if anyone knew where one can get a magwell like the one on Ray's page?

Thanks

Adam

post-4035-126947370177_thumb.jpg

I finally put on the Herrett flat trainer grips on my M41 and now it looks funny with the bottom of the frame exposed. While I wait for my bully barrel, I figured I would see if anyone knew where one can get a magwell like the one on Ray's page?

Thanks

Adam

I don't know, but I'd like one too!

Thanks

Adam

The more I look at the gun the more I think it has to connect to either the grips or the screws that hold the grips on. Although I do see the screw on the side of the well.

Adam

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Adam

The more I look at the gun the more I think it has to connect to either the grips or the screws that hold the grips on. Although I do see the screw on the side of the well.

Adam

so,has anyone discovered who makes the magwell?

• 7 months later...

Thread Resurrection Time.

I scored a Model 46 last month. 7" Barrel with weight in 95% condition. I have set up a metallic handgun silhouette shoot using smallbore rifle targets at the 10/20/30/40 yard ranges.

Can't wait to see what it does for my ipsc scores this year!

I am so spoiled. Tanfoglio Limited Custom II with all the Hennings goodies, including the trigger, and now a Model 46, plus my Cynergy Shotgun, Bruno CZ452 Varmint with Millett TRS-1... ahhh it's bliss having a clean trigger and light pull!

Now I just have to get serious about my my bigger rifles... their triggers are just AWFUL compared to these other examples.

I scored a Model 46 last month. 7" Barrel with weight in 95% condition. I have set up a metallic handgun silhouette shoot using smallbore rifle targets at the 10/20/30/40 yard ranges.

I am so spoiled. Tanfoglio Limited Custom II with all the Hennings goodies, including the trigger, and now a Model 46, plus my Cynergy Shotgun, Bruno CZ452 Varmint with Millett TRS-1... ahhh it's bliss having a clean trigger and light pull!

Now I just have to get serious about my my bigger rifles... their triggers are just AWFUL compared to these other examples.

Is it really a 7" barrel, or is it 7 3/8" with either the compensator or extension cover? Some M46 combinations are quite rare/collectible, so you may want to get the opinion of the experts on the S&W Forum...or at least be careful with it. I have a great article that's a pretty comprehensive history of the M41/46 if you're interested...it's too big to post, but I can e-mail it. R,

Is it really a 7" barrel, or is it 7 3/8" with either the compensator or extension cover? Some M46 combinations are quite rare/collectible, so you may want to get the opinion of the experts on the S&W Forum...or at least be careful with it. I have a great article that's a pretty comprehensive history of the M41/46 if you're interested...it's too big to post, but I can e-mail it. R,

7" Barrel with the barrel weight on the bottom of the gun. No Compensator, although I do know where I can get an OEM Comped barrel for it. Just debating spending the 290.00 the guy wants for it.

Roy Jinks at S&W was interested in the gun :) I would love to read the article, feel free to send it to me, I will pm you my email addy.