Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guys, what are you on the back of your trucks? I just picked up a new ride and I need to get it set up. My old truck had an undercover on it. It was a pain if I wanted to take it off. I only took it off every now and then.

What are you using?

On my 2000 Dakota Quad Cab I had a Pace Edwards roll-top tonneau (think of the cover on a roll top desk). I believe it was aluminum ribs covered on vinyl that rolled int a canister just behind the cab, lockable to the side rails when closed. http://www.tonneau-covers-online.com/rolltop.html

Also had color matched spray bed liner and replaced the tailgate latch with lockable unit.

Do not get an "Advanced Cover" with the folding panels. Seemed like a good idea and I loved it at first. Only 2 years later the seals on the hinges came loose and it leakes water like crazy now, and the lift tabs (plastic) broke off when cold. I see Xtang has a similar concept now which might be nice.

Soft covers are good cheap mult-purpose covers, but they can be hell to re-snap when cold and if you use it a lot the snaps will tear out in a couple years. (now that I have a garage I might re-consider a soft cover). Good bang for the buck though.

Hard one-piece covers suck IMO as they render the bed useless unless you just want a big trunk.

I like the roll-up concept but people I've known with them quickly complained about them leaking or sticking and being a pain.

I'm thinking my next truck will just get a cap. The only downside is you can't just have a frontloader dump a load of mulch or stone or whatever but I only need my bed piled high with "stuff" once or twice a yr.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I have a Truxedo soft top on my truck and love it. I took it through a high pressure car wash not long after I got it and the only water in the bed had obviously come up through the drain holes during the under-carriage wash portion of the festivities.

Took about 10 minutes to install the first time, comes entirely off in less than 2 minutes and I can put it back on in about 5 minutes.

A friend has the roll-up hard cover on her truck and I like the concept to a point. Don't like the bed loss up front from the mechanism and really don't like the price.

All tonneau covers suck, the comment about turning a truck into a car with a big trunk is spot on. That said, I like the soft covers with snaps instead of the velcro or snap in rail arrangement. It covers stuff, is dry enough for anything I will put in the back of my truck, is the easiest to manage when you need to turn your truck back into a truck too. Mine eventually tore and hasn't been replaced yet, but it worked great. The roll up seemed like a good idea but in this climate they just will not work in the winter.

One day when I grow up and get a good job plus a little extra time I am going to put the ARE Z shell that Bart has on my truck and rig my garage to suspend it for the few occasions when I need my truck to be a truck. IMO the ARE shells are the best out there.

I have a Gaylords cover on my SuperDuty. A very high quality piece. Matches the body line perfectly, color is perfect and the lift shocks work perfect. Drawback is it is way too heavy to remove, that's why I have a small trailer also.......

Thisis what I just pu on my 96 Dakota. Originally I had the kind that snapped up but it was a HUGE pain in the colder months to stretch and snap it in place. The ARE website didn't have the model for my truck but not all models are listed. Local dealers have access to more models.

http://www.4are.com/product/tonneau_covers.php

Edited by pas44

I use the back of my truck to haul tools around. I like being able to lift the lid with one hand and then close it if it raining or snowing. Has anyone used a lid from http://www.bakliner.com/tiltbak.html

I like the fact that the stake pockets can hold rails

I used to have a bakliner bakflip on my silverado. I ordered it direct from bak, and got one sized for a 6' bed instead of a the 5'8" that I had. They were easy to deal with and made up the mistake with the proper part at no extra charge. The problem I had with my cover was that it leaked like a sieve. I also liked the idea of being able to use the stake pockets for rails, the seal system left a lot to be desired. The tilt may be different, but I'd do some serious checking before I got one. By the way, I took the bakflip off and put an undercover on mine, and love it. I wish I had gotten it first.

No one has mentioned it yet, but a cover with an electronic lock is a nice option. I have the ARE hard cover on my Chevy with the electronic lock tied into the truck's power locks.

For extra security, like when its loaded with your 3 gun gear, you can also lock the cover with the included keys. This overrides the electronic lock and requires the key to open.

Bill

One day when I grow up and get a good job plus a little extra time I am going to put the ARE Z shell that Bart has on my truck and rig my garage to suspend it for the few occasions when I need my truck to be a truck.

When I had a pickup truck, that's what I did. I went for the "snuglid" hard fiberglass lid. Good solid locking mechanisms, gas-assisted struts to allow opening with one hand (and stay-open), sealed really well, and... it was sorta "stealthy" - people look in the windows of a cap, and it's pretty obvious there's "probably stuff in there". With a hard lid, the back of the truck just sorta seems to disappear, when I opened it up people were always surprised that there was "stuff back there". I had no qualms about locking 3-gun stuff in the back, it was secure and "out of sight". ymmv.

I rigged a system in my garage that allowed me to pull it off and suspend it from the ceiling when I needed a "truck". But, truth be told, there weren't that many times. Can fit a lot of stuff under the lid, and one of the great advantages of a hard lid is that it is a big/strong/flat surface. Easy to strap things across the top of it if they are too big to fit under it.

$.02

B

I have just ordered a ARE tonneau cover for my Nissan Titan. Will be about 2-3 weeks before they get one.

They had one in stock at my local dealer in a different color and would let me use it until mine came in.

Told him that I had the worst luck with stuff loaned and that I would just wait. Great service and from i hear a great top.

My .02

I had an ARE on my last two and loved them.

When I bought my new dakota they asked since I had one on the old one if I wanted a factory one. I said sure. Got it, what a pain in the but. Will go back to an ARE next time.

I've had soft covers, hard covers, and shells. For practicability, a soft tonneau cover is the best way to go. Truxedo's are easy to install, and relatively cheap. I also prefer the fact they have velcro along the sides instead of snaps because in the winter, the snaps are difficult to use due to the cold causing the tonneau to shrink. Since I pull a 5th wheel trailer and have a tool box in the bed, having a cover that rolls up easily is also a big plus.